2021 NHL Offseason

Trizzak

9.5 for a number one guy, whether you like him or not, Is going to be the price for a big name guy. You have to pay to keep them from free agency.

6 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

9.5 for a number one guy, whether you like him or not, Is going to be the price for a big name guy. You have to pay to keep them from free agency.

The problem with Jones is that it appears his reputation outstrips his performance.

2 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Bean for a 2nd is a nice pickup for Columbus. I would have loved for MB to move one of the 2nds for Bean.

Bean went for #44, the Habs have 63 and 64 so that probably wasn't an option.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

$9.5 for 7 years? yeesh

I am quite happy the Habs are missing out on these blockbusters so far.

I am also quite happy. Sometimes it's better to do nothing when everyone else is going crazy. Chicago paid a big price in picks and salary.  Save the cap room for the right deal.  (ie like Tyler Toffoli). 

Carolina seems to be losing guys for little to nothing.

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is probably correct. Let someone else pay 9+. I would pay 9 for Cale Makar, not Dougie Hamilton. 

Any big contract is a risk.  The minute a player signs for 9 or 10 million they are a potential liability that - even if they produce to their cap hit - will eventually force other players to sign elsewhere. 

45 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Bean for a 2nd is a nice pickup for Columbus. I would have loved for MB to move one of the 2nds for Bean.

Don’t get why Seattle didn’t take him.

WOW at the contract Chicago have Jones. I don't buy into him being overrated, but even I would never give him that kind of contract. Thank goodness he wanted out of Columbus!

I think we can say goodbye to Douggie Hamilton if that is the kind of money being thrown around right now.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

I'd pay 9.5 x 7 years for Hamilton.

$66.5 million

How about trading for his rights ... then offering 8yrs @ 8.75-9 = $70-72 million ... a little bit more security ... 

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

$66.5 million

How about trading for his rights ... then offering 8yrs @ 8.75-9 = $70-72 million ... a little bit more security ... 

Depending on the trade price, sure. 

I’m surprised I never seem to hear anything linking the Habs to Tyson Barrie. Like I say in the other thread, I could imagine a “platoon” on D where we add two midrange puck-movers like him and call it good.

I believe I would do the 9.5 for Hamilton, only because there is no comparable player (i.e., legit #1 D-man stud) in the Habs’ system and a very low likelihood of a cheaper option emerging any time soon. With Hamilton, we remain a viable threat to win playoff rounds - heck we would be significantly improved on the team that just went to the Finals. Without Hamilton, there is a high risk of reverting to a bubble team that also plays like a bubble team in the playoffs, assuming it makes them.

The other option is an offer sheet. Not a joke offer sheet like we did with Aho, but the real thing. But then you overpay both on the cap and in terms of assets surrendered. It’s not self-evident that that is a vastly superior strategy, really.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m surprised I never seem to hear anything linking the Habs to Tyson Barrie. Like I say in the other thread, I could imagine a “platoon” on D where we add two midrange puck-movers like him and call it good.

Same here although it doesn't mean they wouldn't be interested.  At this point, the only team really linked to him is Edmonton who's trying to sign him.  If he gets to Wednesday without a contract though, all bets are off.

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Scratch Makar off the offer sheet wish list - he signed a six-year deal with a $9M cap hit.

It was a nice hopeful dream while it lasted🙁

Hamilton or bust!

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Scratch Makar off the offer sheet wish list - he signed a six-year deal with a $9M cap hit.

There’s that #9 again.

Just sign Hamilton to the Jones deal and be done with it

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There seems to be a lot of smoke at the Savard rumours so that would not surprise me. Disappoint me but not surprise me

Only disappointing if he is the only D they acquire, at least in my opinion.