2021 NHL Offseason

Trizzak

Anybody ever heard of this guy?   The rumour is tantalizing, but ANYBODY can tweet ... 

36 minutes ago, DON said:

Certainly what any GM has to say in this situation ... but I can't see them going to training camp with him ... Jack could be a poison on the roster ... which would be OK from a Fight for Wright perspective ... but keeping Eichel might also seriously reduce the Sabres odds in that race. 

McNiven goes to arbitration ... can't see that he could get a contract that is in any way a problem ... others are:

Vince Dunn (Kraken de Seattle), Adam Pelech (Islanders de New York), Juuse Saros (Predators de Nashville), Jakub Vrana (Red Wings de Detroit), Neal Pionk et Andrew Copp (Jets de Winnipeg), Ross Colton (Lightning de Tampa Bay), Jason Dickinson (Canucks de Vancouver), Zach Aston-Reese (Penguins de Pittsburgh), Adam Erne (Red Wings de Detroit), Zach Sanford (Blues de St. Louis), Dante Fabbro (Predators), Dennis Gilbert (Avalanche du Colorado), Nikita Zadorov (Flames de Calgary) and Adin Hill (Sharks de San Jose)

On 8/1/2021 at 7:25 PM, GHT120 said:

McNiven goes to arbitration ... can't see that he could get a contract that is in any way a problem ... others are:

Vince Dunn (Kraken de Seattle), Adam Pelech (Islanders de New York), Juuse Saros (Predators de Nashville), Jakub Vrana (Red Wings de Detroit), Neal Pionk et Andrew Copp (Jets de Winnipeg), Ross Colton (Lightning de Tampa Bay), Jason Dickinson (Canucks de Vancouver), Zach Aston-Reese (Penguins de Pittsburgh), Adam Erne (Red Wings de Detroit), Zach Sanford (Blues de St. Louis), Dante Fabbro (Predators), Dennis Gilbert (Avalanche du Colorado), Nikita Zadorov (Flames de Calgary) and Adin Hill (Sharks de San Jose)

Maybe he is looking for more than $70K AHL salary? Even a one-way contract would not impact the Habs' cap.

9 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Maybe he is looking for more than $70K AHL salary? Even a one-way contract would not impact the Habs' cap.

I wouldn't be shocked if there's a deal in place and the Habs are just wanting to delay opening their second buyout window.  Options would be limited (only players who were on the roster at the trade deadline with a $4M AAV are eligible) but if there is something big that occurs in the next week or two, it doesn't hurt to have the option available.  That would mean delaying signing him until closer to the hearing date. 

THIS should be fun

On 8/4/2021 at 12:19 PM, dlbalr said:

I wouldn't be shocked if there's a deal in place and the Habs are just wanting to delay opening their second buyout window.  Options would be limited (only players who were on the roster at the trade deadline with a $4M AAV are eligible) but if there is something big that occurs in the next week or two, it doesn't hurt to have the option available.  That would mean delaying signing him until closer to the hearing date. 

That theory is out the window now.  McNiven's the second hearing of the day on the first day of eligibility.  Filing submissions from both sides are due on Monday.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Tatar has found his new home as he signed a two-year deal with New Jersey with a $4.5M AAV.

Wow, that is a lot of dough for a guy who was a black ace for most of last season.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wow, that is a lot of dough for a guy who was a black ace for most of last season.

And scratch with Vegas also.

But, he is productive offensively, 60pt guy for 2 of 3 yrs with Habs.

Tatar is a mystery for me.  How comes he dries out like this in the offseason at a point where he's not even top 12 on a team already missing Drouin and Evans ?!?!

He looks calm with the puck in the reg, makes good decisions, creates scoring chances, burries some himself.

I don't get it.  

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

IMHO, He has no extra gear.
He plays the season to his max, but cannot elevate during the playoffs and that is not sufficient

Yeah, but he sucked arse this regular season as well.

I think there is a reasonable possibility that he’s over the hill, period. He’s only 30 but he wouldn’t be the first NHLer to peter out relatively early after several good years.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think there is a reasonable possibility that he’s over the hill, period. He’s only 30 but he wouldn’t be the first NHLer to peter out relatively early after several good years.

Wildass guess, he will get 15-20g and 40pts with Devils.

Would that be worth $4.5m, i dunno.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Wildass guess, he will get 15-20g and 40pts with Devils.

Would that be worth $4.5m, i dunno.

Maybe a more charitable interpretation of Tatar’s evaporation is that his game - cerebral, contact-avoiding, shifty - just didn’t suit the identity of the newly gritty “most hits in hockey” Habs. If so, then put him in an environment like NJ where they’re just glad to have some talent, maybe he can recover some of his form. I still think it’s telling that he played his way out of the lineup under two coaches and couldn’t even draw back in after Drouin went down. 

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This summer there were a lot of dumb contracts handed out. GM’s have fone

back to the pre-Covid stupidity mode during the free agent period. Even if Tatar scores 30 goals next year, this is a dumb, dumb deal, for the simple reason that teams should have had the leverage (and good sense), under a flat cap, to not give out stupid contracts. With guys like Tatar who played like shit last year, they should have been left hanging until the start of the year until they accepted deals that made sense given their performance.  For Tatar, it should have been at least a 50% hit.

I don’t get the deals that teams like Calgary handed out either. Coleman is a great role player - but around $5m??? Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!!! The NHL is the only league in the world that pays grunts and role players close to what the the top players make. Gaudreau makes $6.5m. I get that Coleman is a free agent, and I get that Calgary needed grit even before they got truculent, heavy Sutter. But it’s way too much money on a cap system.  

Oilers signed Darnell Nurse to an 8 year $9.5m AAV contract.  That’s gotta be one of the worse contract in recent memory.

Don't get me wrong, he isn’t terrible, $6m max.  He isn’t a $9.5m player.

30 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Oilers signed Darnell Nurse to an 8 year $9.5m AAV contract.  That’s gotta be one of the worse contract in recent memory.

Dont think so, they obviously see him as core player to be locked up. 16g season on paper seems awesome and he is a large 26yr old d-man, overpayment for sure, but wouldnt say horrible choice.

I would say that contract is based on a projection of future performance rather than past performance. If the projection is wrong and he continues to be what he has been in the past, then it will be an atrocious contract.

But that's what's frustrating. Sometimes GMs pay players based on past performance, sometimes the pay based on projected performance; but a laughable proportion of the time, they seem to overpay, skewing to one or the other depending on what most benefits the player. We're in a flat cap and they are throwing around $9.5 million contracts at Jeff Petry-like defenders.

On 7/30/2021 at 9:22 AM, DON said:

Interesting for sure. What would be cost?

I hope in no way that Caufeild or Guhle are part of this trade. I'm okay with either Suzuki or Kotkaniemi being part of it. Also would think Byron and Kulak would be part of it to make the money work little better. 

So maybe something like this 

To habs 

Eichel 

To Buffalo 

Suzuki, Byron, kulak, 1st and 2nd round picks and a prospect maybe Primeau. 

Or

Kotkaniemi, Byron, Romanov, Primeau 1st and 2nd round picks. 

Something along those lines I would think. 

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Oilers signed Darnell Nurse to an 8 year $9.5m AAV contract.  That’s gotta be one of the worse contract in recent memory. ...

Morgan Reilly ... similar goals/82gm ... 30% more assists

Morgan Reilly's agent:

RLq4HA4Udn1Yp7vF5Hfi9JXzExdk=

58 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I would say that contract is based on a projection of future performance rather than past performance. If the projection is wrong and he continues to be what he has been in the past, then it will be an atrocious contract.

But that's what's frustrating. Sometimes GMs pay players based on past performance, sometimes the pay based on projected performance; but a laughable proportion of the time, they seem to overpay, skewing to one or the other depending on what most benefits the player. We're in a flat cap and they are throwing around $9.5 million contracts at Jeff Petry-like defenders.

I don’t get GM’s. This is why I hate the cap system. Other than Tampa, no one actually uses their leverage provided by the CBA. Everyone’s been in dire straits about a flat cap, no revenue, and impact of COVID. Yet that GM’s are handing out money like candy during the last hour of Halloween, when you discover you have more candy than you need. It’s stupid. 
I look at the Avs. They absolutely should have signed Makar long term. But what the fxck??? 6 year deal??? I’ve got no issues what they are paying Makar, but I think the hell wouldn’t you sign him for 8 years, if you are paying him for 5 more RFA years???  If a player is only willing to do 6 years, force him to take less. 

And that was one of the better contracts!!!!!  I look at Calgary’s signings, and even though I’m glad at their stupidity (I hate the flames), I can’t believe how dumb they were.

even Seattle. Francis talks about the importance of cap space, and than overpays for some players as well. He also signs Gruebar. Given the options in the expansion draft, he shouldn’t have needed to sign a goalie via free agency. Frankly, I think, he may as well just picked Price. Would have been better for marketing, and potentially higher reward, with less risk, given that Gruebar doesn’t have a long track record of success. 

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Morgan Reilly ... similar goals/82gm ... 30% more assists

Morgan Reilly's agent:

RLq4HA4Udn1Yp7vF5Hfi9JXzExdk=

I’d love to see that. Leafs really don’t have any room, unless they move when of their 4 forwards - which I think they should have done this year.