Shea Weber Career in Jeopardy, Ren Lavoie and Elliotte Friedman Report

Commandant

Not the way his career should end.

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

This sounds like LTIR and the team needs an immediate replacement. 

Throw all the moneys at Dougie Hamilton. 

Agreed ... Hamilton looks like the UFA option, MAYBE Tyson Barrie if MB looks more for a second pairing RHD ... as Carolina is apparently open to a trade might they be receptive to a pre-Kraken-list deal to optimize their protected list resources ... but wouldn't be cheap ... MB's job just got a lot harder if this proves to be true.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He also has to agree to change his name to Doug or Douglas

I will not accept a grown man named Dougie

It has always struck me as strange ... wonder if it is his choice or just what everyone calls him ... as for signing him, what if Dougie takes a "Keep His Name" discount?

*** IF *** Weber is looking at retiring ... wonder what Nashville would offer to take him back and be able to LTIR him rather than having to absorb the recapture penalty?

• Like 1

Wow. This changes things. At best, they can Kucherov him and at worst he's done. Wow again.

And big implications of the expansion draft. Not protecting him means they definitely go 7-3 and protect Lehkonen and Evans.

Just now, GHT120 said:

*** IF *** Weber is looking at retiring ... wonder what Nashville would offer to take him back and be able to LTIR him rather than having to absorb the recapture penalty?

Excellent thought.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

He'd never retire if he's legit injured.

From Weber's perspective... sign retirement papers = get no money.

Go on LTIR = Collect the remaining millions on my contract via Molson or insurance.

He has 12 million reasons (in actual cash) to sit on LTIR for 5 seasons ala Pronger, Savard, Hossa, etc....

• dlbalr changed the title to Shea Weber Career in Jeopardy, Ren Lavoie and Elliotte Friedman Report
18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He'd never retire if he's legit injured.

From Weber's perspective... sign retirement papers = get no money.

Go on LTIR = Collect the remaining millions on my contract via Molson or insurance.

He has 12 million reasons (in actual cash) to sit on LTIR for 5 seasons ala Pronger, Savard, Hossa, etc....

3/4 of that $12 million is over the next two seasons ... having only $3 million to forgo when he will have career earnings of $129M after 22/23 might make Nashville nervous enough to want to get him back so they can have direct contact with him to discourage retirement ... worth MB at least exploring IMO.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

3/4 of that $12 million is over the next two seasons ... having only $3 million to forgo when he will have career earnings of $129M after 22/23 might make Nashville nervous enough to want to get him back so they can have direct contact with him to discourage retirement ... worth MB at least exploring IMO.

They're not going to trade an asset to have a phone call with him.  There's no reason for Weber to retire if his injury is ruled a career-ender so there's no reason for Nashville to even worry about the possibility.

If he is really done then the this might be a good thing long term for the habs. On the other hand, seeing how he stepped it up gave me hope he had one or two playoffs left in him…

pulling a Tampa and having him miraculously get better for the playoffs would be interesting…

33 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He also has to agree to change his name to Doug or Douglas

I will not accept a grown man named Dougie

I hear ya Benjamin or is it Bennett?:nuts:

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Meh...

1 million per year to not play hockey and simply not sign a form to officially retire.

Why would he give up that 3 million?

Pronger didnt, Hossa didnt, Marc Savard, Brent Seabrook, Marian Gaborik, etc... etc...

The only guy who retired with time left on his deal was Luongo and he had no injury. 

If Weber's injury is as bad as said, he'll have no problem getting a doctor to sign off on LTIR

4 minutes ago, DON said:

I hear ya Benjamin or is it Bennett?:nuts:

Ben is fine. 

If I start asking to be called Benny, then you can call for the straightjacket cause I've lost my mind.

• Like 1

Well latest reports are he is being exposed to the draft and out “for the season”….

Maybe the habs are being smart… let me take the year to have surgery and heal… no one will take him.. if he is better then he can miraculously come back for the playoffs… 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

This sounds like LTIR and the team needs an immediate replacement. 

Throw all the moneys at Dougie Hamilton. 

If it's a career-ender, Hamilton would be viable.  If they think he comes back after a year, I wonder if they'd be more inclined to see if Tyson Barrie is open to another one-year deal and just do what Edmonton did with him this past season where they used him as the one-year stopgap for Klefbom's expected return (which, as it turns out, isn't happening).  Otherwise, if they were to sign Hamilton and Weber returns down the road, you're looking at too much cap money on defence.

54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Ben is fine. 

If I start asking to be called Benny, then you can call for the straightjacket cause I've lost my mind.

Will do.

Wow, this is huge. What a drag for Weber. And it underscores how positively heroic his playoff run was - he should not have been out there at all, yet he was eating 25 hard minutes every night.

The only silver lining here is that it forces the Habs to do something they would probably not otherwise have done, i.e., accept that Weber cannot be the cornerstone of the D any more. What I don’t like - apart from the ordeal this remarkable athlete is facing, of course - is the uncertainty. He “may” miss the season. Well, will he or won’t he? He has a history of returning early; what if we bring in Hamilton and then come late February the captain wants back in? Hello, cap hell. 

Exposing him in the expansion draft is a no-brainer, but we’ll need to know what to do before UFA season starts.