Shea Weber Career in Jeopardy, Ren Lavoie and Elliotte Friedman Report

Commandant

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wow, this is huge. What a drag for Weber. And it underscores how positively heroic his playoff run was - he should not have been out there at all, yet he was eating 25 hard minutes every night.

The only silver lining here is that it forces the Habs to do something they would probably not otherwise have done, i.e., accept that Weber cannot be the cornerstone of the D any more. What I don’t like - apart from the ordeal this remarkable athlete is facing, of course - is the uncertainty. He “may” miss the season. Well, will he or won’t he? He has a history of returning early; what if we bring in Hamilton and then come late February the captain wants back in? Hello, cap hell. 

Exposing him in the expansion draft is a no-brainer, but we’ll need to know what to do before UFA season starts.

Or maybe he wants to come back in March and we are sitting in a playoff spot and we say, Hey Shea.... why don't you wait for game 1 of the playoffs ala Nikita Kucherov?

You could make the playoffs and have 1 year to try and make it happen with Weber as part of a big 5 on D?

Then in the 2022 offseason, you let Chiarot walk, you gain a million from Alzner's buyout cap hit dropping, and you have to trade someone away to get cap compliant, but its not 8 million you have to clear, its more like 4.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Or maybe he wants to come back in March and we are sitting in a playoff spot and we say, Hey Shea.... why don't you wait for game 1 of the playoffs ala Nikita Kucherov?

You could make the playoffs and have 1 year to try and make it happen with Weber as part of a big 5 on D?

Then in the 2022 offseason, you let Chiarot walk, you gain a million from Alzner's buyout cap hit dropping, and you have to trade someone away to get cap compliant, but its not 8 million you have to clear, its more like 4.  

I like the sounds of that!

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Wasn't that everyone's first thought? Haha

I kept saying Weber would be exposed on the expansion draft, but not for this reason.

Drouin and Weber on LTIR ... coincidence ? 🤔 or a well crafted plan ? 😈

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Of course the ideal is Weber comes back, joins a big five, wins the cup and then "re-injures" himself and rides off into the sunset with his cup ring in July 2022.

Not quite.  The dream is Weber comes back, joins a big 5, wins the cup and then retires and Nashville is forced to trade us their first in order to convince Weber to "re-injure" himself for the LTIR.

4 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

Not quite.  The dream is Weber comes back, joins a big 5, wins the cup and then retires and Nashville is forced to trade us their first in order to convince Weber to "re-injure" himself for the LTIR.

I was being realistic.

I agree that the Habs need to go all-in on replacing Weber, and worry later about the possibility that he comes back and mucks up the cap. Hopefully MB sees it the same way.

This may sound weird, but one semi-trivial side-effect may be that this ramifies for MB’s willingness to bring in D’Angelo. Without Dad there in the locker room to clamp down on nonsense, an important safeguard against TDA’s nonsense will be missing. I’ll bet MB recoils.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree that the Habs need to go all-in on replacing Weber, and worry later about the possibility that he comes back and mucks up the cap. Hopefully MB sees it the same way.

This may sound weird, but one semi-trivial side-effect may be that this ramifies for MB’s willingness to bring in D’Angelo. Without Dad there in the locker room to clamp down on nonsense, an important safeguard against TDA’s nonsense will be missing. I’ll bet MB recoils.

If habs go all in on someone to replace Weber then it's Seth Jones they go all in on.   I have no problem giving up a 1st and 2nd for him and one of our young D prospects.  But I wouldn't give up Romanov or Kotkaniemi for him. 

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

If habs go all in on someone to replace Weber then it's Seth Jones they go all in on.   I have no problem giving up a 1st and 2nd for him and one of our young D prospects.  But I wouldn't give up Romanov or Kotkaniemi for him. 

Don't let Commandant hear you say that...he has data showing Jones to be vastly overrated.

I'd prefer Hamilton, but the UFA market is a high-risk crapshoot.

Once again the Sergachev trade is the gift that keeps on giving...based on what I saw of him, he might have been ready to step up and eat Weber's minutes, had he been on the Habs. And he's as mean as Weber as well. Oh, well.

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Don't let Commandant hear you say that...he has data showing Jones to be vastly overrated.

Once again the Sergachev trade is the gift that keeps on giving...based on what I saw of him, he might have been ready to step up and eat Weber's minutes, had he been on the Habs. And he's as mean as Weber as well. Oh, well.

Wonder if we offer Tampa Drouin and a 2nd for Sergachev they would accept it lol😹😂😹

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They're not going to trade an asset to have a phone call with him.  There's no reason for Weber to retire if his injury is ruled a career-ender so there's no reason for Nashville to even worry about the possibility.

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

... 1 million per year to not play hockey and simply not sign a form to officially retire.

Why would he give up that 3 million? ...

First, and I think you understand this, I am not predicting that he retires before the end of his contract.

But Weber strikes me as the type of guy who *** MIGHT *** not be happy to not "earn his pay" ... to me, that is in his character (as much as we can know it as fans) ... and, it is obviously easier to do that when you have earned over $120 million in your career ... but I would not expect him to retire now ... he can legitimately go on LTIR with the hope of returning for the playoffs ... if he doesn't return for the playoffs I frankly would expect that, unless he is simply physically unable to, he would want to give it a try on the ice in 22/23 ... but if he can't, or then performs at a level well-below his own standards (a distinct possibility at age 37 after a year away from the game) then the summer of 2023 he has only $3 million left to add to his pockets ... that is when I see my suggestion as most likely.

As for Nashville, it would not be "a phone call" ... it would be for the opportunity to re-integrate him into the organization and repair whatever ill-will Shea may have for having been traded (***IF*** he has any) ... that could be important as it would  also seem "in character" for Weber to agree to LTIR the rest of his contract if he felt he was again "part of the Preds family" .... the recapture penalty for Nashville gets worse as time passes ... and ***IF*** Shea does have any significant acrimony towards Nashville/Poile then retirement (especially once the $3M over 3yrs point is reached) would be a worthy revenge (much as that seems against his perceived character).

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

First, and I think you understand this, I am not predicting that he retires before the end of his contract.

But Weber strikes me as the type of guy who *** MIGHT *** not be happy to not "earn his pay" ... to me, that is in his character (as much as we can know it as fans) ... and, it is obviously easier to do that when you have earned over $120 million in your career ... but I would not expect him to retire now ... he can legitimately go on LTIR with the hope of returning for the playoffs ... if he doesn't return for the playoffs I frankly would expect that, unless he is simply physically unable to, he would want to give it a try on the ice in 22/23 ... but if he can't, or then performs at a level well-below his own standards (a distinct possibility at age 37 after a year away from the game) then the summer of 2023 he has only $3 million left to add to his pockets ... that is when I see my suggestion as most likely.

As for Nashville, it would not be "a phone call" ... it would be for the opportunity to re-integrate him into the organization and repair whatever ill-will Shea may have for having been traded (***IF*** he has any) ... that could be important as it would  also seem "in character" for Weber to agree to LTIR the rest of his contract if he felt he was again "part of the Preds family" .... the recapture penalty for Nashville gets worse as time passes ... and ***IF*** Shea does have any significant acrimony towards Nashville/Poile then retirement (especially once the $3M over 3yrs point is reached) would be a worthy revenge (much as that seems against his perceived character).

I still think a million dollars a year trumps pride over not truly earning one's pay.  There's a reason only one player has ever retired in this scenario (and it had to do with cheap ownership).  Weber isn't going to be the outlier, he'll collect his money.

When a player is on permanent LTIR, they're not around the team at all.  They show up, fail their physical, and fly home to be with their family.  There's no real opportunity to be reintegrated into the organization or be part of the family.  His time in Nashville would last a day or less each year; there's no big welcome back ceremony to be had or anything like that.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I also assume that after acquiring Caleb Jones, and dumping Keith's contract, that Seth Jones destinatiion is already decided. 

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Wonder if we offer Tampa Drouin and a 2nd for Sergachev they would accept it lol😹😂😹

They might accept a 1st (next years draft) and a second if we kept Drouin 

1 hour ago, PMAC said:

They might accept a 1st (next years draft) and a second if we kept Drouin 

Well we could offer to take Johnson’s contract of their hand, along with KK and a first for Sergechev, and they would still say no.  They have got their tip 3 dman all perfectly staggered in their age with McDonough, Hedman and Sergechev. Could not plan it any better than that, other than getting a  tiiung player to slot into Sergechev’s role, when McDonough is no longer dominant.

what kills me Montreal had that in the 70’s, Savard-Lapointe-Robinson-Langway. When Savard moved on, Robinson and Lapointe should have been he grizzled vets, and Langway ready to step into his prime. But they fxcked it up.

Savard made the same mistake and when he didn’t make Robinson the captain (instead of having him go to LA), and made it worse by moving Chelios.

16 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well we could offer to take Johnson’s contract of their hand, along with KK and a first for Sergechev, and they would still say no.  They have got their tip 3 dman all perfectly staggered in their age with McDonough, Hedman and Sergechev. Could not plan it any better than that, other than getting a  tiiung player to slot into Sergechev’s role, when McDonough is no longer dominant.

what kills me Montreal had that in the 70’s, Savard-Lapointe-Robinson-Langway. When Savard moved on, Robinson and Lapointe should have been he grizzled vets, and Langway ready to step into his prime. But they fxcked it up.

Savard made the same mistake and when he didn’t make Robinson the captain (instead of having him go to LA), and made it worse by moving Chelios.

The Habs do seem to have a chronic problem with trading defencemen, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

One thing for sure about Weber , I would bring him in as a coach when he does call it a career.

If he's interested, then definitely. Of course, he can't speak French, so if his ultimate goal is a head coaching position we'd be grooming him for success elsewhere.

This has flown under the radar but is notable:

If this is heading for a battle between the league and the NHLPA, the battle is going to be over the permanence of the injury; that's usually what these have boiled down to in the past.  That's a telling sign about where this may be heading.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

This has flown under the radar but is notable:

If this is heading for a battle between the league and the NHLPA, the battle is going to be over the permanence of the injury; that's usually what these have boiled down to in the past.  That's a telling sign about where this may be heading.

What exactly is the issue here? What are the NHL and PA in dispute about?