Shea Weber Career in Jeopardy, Ren Lavoie and Elliotte Friedman Report

Commandant

49 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Freidman is extremely reliable.

that is what hurts the most, knowing that the rumors are most certainly right

ok, here are some UFA options:

Barrie, Goligoski are my preferred players from this list (UFAs with over 18 TOI) ordered by Points/GamePlayed. Looking at this, I would keep Merrill if all else fails.

image.png

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

your opinion.

mine is that MB has shown to have good judgment in managing the cap and with this year's high number of UFAs he has a good chance to create the salary structure to allow him to over pay for one year on a top-4 D knowing he will need to revisit in 2023

An interesting approach (seriously), one I admit I had not thought of ... but not certain what legitimate top 4 RHD UFA will sign for one year ... I do not expect Hamilton, Barrie, Montour, Savard, Larsson or, even, Hamonic would ... and wouldn't really want any of the others in the Habs top 4 ... not certain what 2022 UFA options (i.e., one year left on current deal) could be available, expect Seth Jones or Morgan Reilly either won't be traded or would be prohibitively expense to acquire for just one season ... not aware of any others I would want, but may be overlooking an option(s). 

Bergervin confirmed today that Weber will not play next season and may not play again.  It’s one thing coming from media sources, even reliable ones, it’s another from the GM.

https://www.tsn.ca/shea-weber-injury-marc-bergevin-montreal-canadiens-1.1671389

I would imagine this news would signal the Habs are probably big fish hunting with Weber’s cap space.

Terrible news for guaranteed Hall of Famer Shea Weber.

But to be tastelessly blunt about it, this is a lucky break for the Habs, who thereby escape a long-term cap millstone due to his ridiculous contract.

Now we gotta go all in on Hamilton.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Terrible news for guaranteed Hall of Famer Shea Weber.

But to be tastelessly blunt about it, this is a lucky break for the Habs, who thereby escape a long-term cap millstone due to his ridiculous contract.

Now we gotta go all in on Hamilton.

It could of been worse, we could still have PK Subban.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

It could of been worse, we could still have PK Subban.

If we can't get Hamilton or Barrie, I'd take a chance on that. Only one year left on his deal, so you can reset and try one last time in free agency next year. New Jersey would have to retain salary, of course. 

44 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

If we can't get Hamilton or Barrie, I'd take a chance on that. Only one year left on his deal, so you can reset and try one last time in free agency next year. New Jersey would have to retain salary, of course. 

When pigs can fly ... MB doesn't strike me as the forgive and forget type ... and clearly their parting was not entirely amicable.

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

When pigs can fly ... MB doesn't strike me as the forgive and forget type ... and clearly their parting was not entirely amicable.

For what does Bergevin have to forgive Subban? Bergevin is the one who blindsided Subban by trading him in the eve of his NMC going into effect. Subban thought he was going to be a Hab for life.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

For what does Bergevin have to forgive Subban? Bergevin is the one who blindsided Subban by trading him in the eve of his NMC going into effect. Subban thought he was going to be a Hab for life.

👊 💀🐴 :PC-smash:

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

He has to forgive Subban for the heinous crime of making a multi-million dollar donation to the Montreal General Hospital without first getting permission from the Habs 🙄 That, and for having insisted on maximum value after MB stupidly forced him to take a bridge deal. Both are obviously inexcusable acts.🙄🙄

The real reason not to bring back Subban is that he is damaged goods, nowhere near the player he once was.

3 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Well, I suppose that'd be one way to try to get out of Gallagher's contract as he'd probably demand a trade about five minutes after Subban was brought back.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I know this has been discussed so my apologies for asking again but if Shea Weber retires due to injury issues, are there any cap recapture implications for Montreal, for Nashville or is there no simple straight forward answer. Thanks

If he retired in the next two years, the Habs would have limited recapture ($543K for five years if he retired now, $215K for four years if he retired after next season).  They're off the hook after that.  Nashville's is more substantial and raises by the year unlike Montreal's.  Here's the link with their info if you're interested.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Well, I suppose that'd be one way to try to get out of Gallagher's contract as he'd probably demand a trade about five minutes after Subban was brought back.

:blink: Huh? Is that why they moved him, because Gallagher hated him?

1 minute ago, Fanpuck33 said:

:blink: Huh? Is that why they moved him, because Gallagher hated him?

Was thinking same thing, i had no idea those two didnt get along OK at least?

Inquiring minds needs to know the dirt.:ph34r:

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Was thinking same thing, i had no idea those two didnt get along OK at least?

Inquiring minds needs to know the dirt.:ph34r:

It's not a secret that Gallagher cannot stand Subban.  There were quite a few players on the team at that time that weren't fans of him although most have since moved on.  I don't know who those other players were but most of the roster has turned over since then.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

If he retired in the next two years, the Habs would have limited recapture ($543K for five years if he retired now, $215K for four years if he retired after next season).  They're off the hook after that.  Nashville's is more substantial and raises by the year unlike Montreal's.  Here's the link with their info if you're interested.

Thank you very much for providing this information. Certainly more troublesome for Nashville than Montreal. 

4 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

"forgive and forget" was a short-hand reference to the fact that MB moved him for some sort of off-ice reason (never formally expressed) ... regardless of what he felt the issue was, I doubt Bergevin would "forgive" it and bring Subban back. 

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's what I found when I tried to search for info, but that doesn't seem like much to me. Just sounds like a guy that was sick of the Montreal media and fans dwelling on PK more than a year after he was traded.

19 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

"forgive and forget" was a short-hand reference to the fact that MB moved him for some sort of off-ice reason (never formally expressed) ... regardless of what he felt the issue was, I doubt Bergevin would "forgive" it and bring Subban back. 

And I suppose Chelios was traded because he slept with Ronald Corey's wife. Or went out partying and inadvertently took home a minor. Or whatever other rumors are out there.

14 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

That's what I found when I tried to search for info, but that doesn't seem like much to me. Just sounds like a guy that was sick of the Montreal media and fans dwelling on PK more than a year after he was traded.

There's also the practice altercations and there were in-game things beyond that 2018 link; I just don't feel like digging them up.

55 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

27 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

... And I suppose Chelios was traded because he slept with Ronald Corey's wife. Or went out partying and inadvertently took home a minor. Or whatever other rumors are out there.

No idea ... I specifically avoided trying to identify a specific reason because all that has ever come out was rumour and innuendo ... just saying that MB (et al?) thought there was some reason to trade PK and it didn't seem to be on-ice.