Shea Weber Career in Jeopardy, Ren Lavoie and Elliotte Friedman Report

Commandant

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There's also the practice altercations and there were in-game things beyond that 2018 link; I just don't feel like digging them up.

Plekanec, Desharnais, were the two i remember.

(Not that fights in practice are a terrible thing, but just seemed hasnt been one since Weber arrived.)

40 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

That's what I found when I tried to search for info, but that doesn't seem like much to me. Just sounds like a guy that was sick of the Montreal media and fans dwelling on PK more than a year after he was traded.

And I suppose Chelios was traded because he slept with Ronald Corey's wife. Or went out partying and inadvertently took home a minor. Or whatever other rumors are out there.

Gallagher has expressed his dislike for PK in media interviews that are probably still on-line. He has been very open about , here is a quick compilation:

https://theathletic.com/237429/2018/02/11/basu-the-reason-behind-the-trade-that-will-never-die-finally-comes-to-light/

(9:48 minutes in):

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/habs-lunch-gallagher-vs-subban-1.996431

Edited by alfredoh2009
added time to forward to on audio clip
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Not sure why all the debate about PK Subban.  His play has gone downhill, his cap hit is 9 million next year, the chance of PK wearing a Hab uniform are about the same as Connor McDavid wearing one next year.  Almost nil. 

some people can't let go of the past

I am on camp Gallagher and overall on the Habs camp

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Not sure why all the debate about PK Subban.  His play has gone downhill, his cap hit is 9 million next year, the chance of PK wearing a Hab uniform are about the same as Connor McDavid wearing one next year.  Almost nil. 

It started with a joke that Weber retiring is better than still having Subban, which I followed up with a joke about PK being our plan C replacement for Weber and it developed into learning about Gallagher and Subban's fued. I don't think anybody actually thinks it is the least bit likely.

54 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

It started with a joke that Weber retiring is better than still having Subban, which I followed up with a joke about PK being our plan C replacement for Weber and it developed into learning about Gallagher and Subban's fued. I don't think anybody actually thinks it is the least bit likely.

I know, easy to carried away sometimes, I am guilty of that too. 

Yeah, it would be nice if people could discuss the end of Shea Weber’s distinguished career without dragging tired and silly old arguments about PK Subban into it. Weber deserves better than that.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, it would be nice if people could discuss the end of Shea Weber’s distinguished career without dragging tired and silly old arguments about PK Subban into it. Weber deserves better than that.

Yes, he does. But, like you say some folks like to bring up that ex-hab again & again. Like the fellow below.:D

22 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He has to forgive Subban for the heinous crime of making a multi-million dollar donation to the Montreal General Hospital without first getting permission from the Habs 🙄 That, and for having insisted on maximum value after MB stupidly forced him to take a bridge deal. Both are obviously inexcusable acts.🙄🙄

The real reason not to bring back Subban is that he is damaged goods, nowhere near the player he once was.

Not trying to stir the pot...too much, mostly just kidding CC.

This might sound like a stupid question, but who's to say Shea won't be back for the 2022-23 season! A complete year off might do some real good to his tired body!

12 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

This might sound like a stupid question, but who's to say Shea won't be back for the 2022-23 season! A complete year off might do some real good to his tired body!

Possible ... but the reports were that the surgeries are for "quality of life" more than "return to play" ... but always possible, if not probable from all reports

1 hour ago, Habsfan said:

that is how I am taking it.

when Markov blew his knee the second time, it was all doom and gloom too

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

that is how I am taking it.

when Markov blew his knee the second time, it was all doom and gloom too

I remember thinking that he wouldn't be the same player, but I don't recall thinking it was a career ending situation.

Just now, Fanpuck33 said:

I remember thinking that he wouldn't be the same player, but I don't recall thinking it was a career ending situation.

on the other hand, we do not know how serious Weber's injurieS are (emphasis on multiple)

When your GM publicly says your career is “probably over,” that means that the doctors have said as much. In fact, the doctors may have omitted the adjective “probably.”

I don’t recall any similar statement when Markov went down. Also, in two years Weber will be 37 - and he was already in a steep decline. 

Hey, a question for all you experts. Weber is gone, but technically not retired. So does Gallagher then become the technically “interim” captain when he gets the C, as he surely will? Or do you just give him the “C” with no provisos on the understanding that it will revert to Weber, should #6 ever return? Just curious.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hey, a question for all you experts. Weber is gone, but technically not retired. So does Gallagher then become the technically “interim” captain when he gets the C, as he surely will? Or do you just give him the “C” with no provisos on the understanding that it will revert to Weber, should #6 ever return? Just curious.

I don't think they'll have someone wearing the C until there's an announcement that his "playing career has ended" (same terminology Chicago used with Shaw and Seabrook).  Until it's officially official that he's done (and the NHL and NHLPA are having their battle about that), Weber will remain the captain.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dalhabs said:

Question is would Gallagher become the new C? He isnt exactly the refs favorite player.

Well, the As are currently Gally and Byron. And you can’t make Byron, who is likely on his last legs as a Hab, captain, so presumably the job is Gallagher’s by default. 

We did go with rotating As back in what, 2013-14? It was regarded as a bit of a gimmick, and yet it worked pretty well, as that team had a lot of success (while the decision to give the C to Patches turned out to be a net negative for several reasons). I could see slapping a third A on Chiarot or something, and then just going with a trio of As.

6 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Question is would Gallagher become the new C? He isnt exactly the refs favorite player.

He seems perhaps the likely option ... Petry is another but somehow doesn't strike me as the right person, fear it might be a burden for him and Habs need him focusing on hockey ... Byron is a long-time "A" his roster position is too precarious ...  expect Savard and Suzuki in line as possible "A"s ... maybe Edmundson too ... agree with TCC that a rotation is a strong possibility ... especially as Weber will technically be a "Kucherov possibility. 

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, the As are currently Gally and Byron. And you can’t make Byron, who is likely on his last legs as a Hab, captain, so presumably the job is Gallagher’s by default. 

We did go with rotating As back in what, 2013-14? It was regarded as a bit of a gimmick, and yet it worked pretty well, as that team had a lot of success (while the decision to give the C to Patches turned out to be a net negative for several reasons). I could see slapping a third A on Chiarot or something, and then just going with a trio of As.

Maybe Petry gets an A, but I think you need to at least pin an A on Suzuki in the following season, if not the upcoming season. Not sure why at this point, Byron should even wear a letter (considering we’d dump if homie anyone would take him. 

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If I recall correctly, Anderson was wearing an A while Weber and Gallagher were out, so he would be in the mix also. I was pretty surprised when I noticed that, but shows he must have earned respect in the room pretty quickly.

12 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

If I recall correctly, Anderson was wearing an A while Weber and Gallagher were out, so he would be in the mix also. I was pretty surprised when I noticed that, but shows he must have earned respect in the room pretty quickly.

And/or the team was hoping the "A" would step up his game ... expect your option, but I can't exclude mine 

On 7/23/2021 at 9:03 PM, Habsfan said:

As far as I understand it, at least 1 if not 2 of Weber's injuries are not new and he's had previous operations for them.  I have had numerous tendon issues myself so I know they can be a royal pain in the ass.   ex:  in Jan I hurt my ankle, and I couldnt walk on it for 3 weeks.  Then, in Feb I manage to do it again and I was unable to put weight on it for 3 weeks, and then insanely it happened a 3rd time in Mar.  I didn't even require surgery to repair mine.  Once someone has any type of a tendon issue it doesn't take much to have it flare back up. 

Regarding Anderson getting an A, that could also be related to the amount of years on his contract.  i.e. he'll be around for quite a while so it makes sense to give him an A over other players that might only be with the Habs for several more years.