Seattle Expansion Draft

Fanpuck33

4 minutes ago, bar said:

Let's say Price is taken by the Kraken, what is everyones thoughts on the Habs goaltending for next year? Is Allen good enough for #1 duty? Is he a 1a 1b with someone else? If so, who is a likely target?

Time to find a new Huet or Hackett.

5 minutes ago, bar said:

Let's say Price is taken by the Kraken, what is everyones thoughts on the Habs goaltending for next year? Is Allen good enough for #1 duty? Is he a 1a 1b with someone else? If so, who is a likely target?

There are about 5 good UFA goalies available. I don’t see an issue finding someone to tandem with Allen 

Yeah my question was more, who would you target for a tandem? Is there a clear #1 out there, where Allen goes back to being backup. I do not want the same issue the Knights had in the playoffs with their goalie switches.

I was shocked 31 was left exposed.

I’d be even more shocked if Seattle took him. The contract is just too high.

If Price didn’t have a no trade then I’d bet he’d be gone. But Seattle can’t flip him without his permission. Maybe a team like Vancouver or Edmonton see what it would take, but Seattle would have no clue if Price would agree to go. If they could get him and retain a few million and flip him, they’d get a good return. 

1 minute ago, bar said:

Yeah my question was more, who would you target for a tandem? Is there a clear #1 out there, where Allen goes back to being backup. I do not want the same issue the Knights had in the playoffs with their goalie switches.

If Price is gone we are in rebuildmode anyway so it doesnt really matter who is our no1 the next few years. Allen would be fine.

I cant remember a more eventful year of hockey as a habsfan. Starting with our elimination of the penguins last year and then fighting to make the playoffs. Then going all the way to the finals. And now this expansiondraft.

You are gonna need a 1B with Allen regardless if Price is taken, or Price is injured. 

Short term options include, Halak, Mrazek, Bernier, Andersen, Raanta, Grubauer, Ullmark, and Dreidger (who is likely going to Seattle, but I include him until its official).

43 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You are gonna need a 1B with Allen regardless if Price is taken, or Price is injured. 

Short term options include, Halak, Mrazek, Bernier, Andersen, Raanta, Grubauer, Ullmark, and Dreidger (who is likely going to Seattle, but I include him until its official).

If they lose Price, Grubauer is the big winner as he'll then wait for a bidding war between Montreal and Colorado, which Montreal should have the space to win and still come in under Price's money.

I could see us trade for MAF from Vegas. I’m sure the price would be minimal. 

1 hour ago, bar said:

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Good list and anyone of them would be great. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Grubauer-Allen does seem like it would be a solid platoon. Depends on what G's cap hit and term would be, of course.

I don't know if Grubauer ever happens.  Why?  I think Grubauer is the best UFA goalie on the market.  What does that mean?

Scenario 1: Price is not selected by Seattle. Grubauer is gonna take a spot he can be a starter in, or at least a 1a/1b.  He's not gonna want to have both Allen, and a healthy Carey Price, making this a three headed monster when Price is healthy.

Scenario 2: Prices goes to Seattle.  To me this triggers full-out rebuild, and thus we aren't signing the best UFA goalie.  We are going cheap, or we take a goalie with a bad contract and make a team pay us a premium to take it off their hands, or something like that.  I doubt we go Grubauer.

I included him cause i just looked at names.  now im gaming this out.

Who could be goalies we could take and help teams out cap wise, for a fee of course.

Mikko Koskinen, UFA 2022, 4.5 million cap hit.

Ben Bishop, 2 years, 4.9 cap hit

Jonathan Quick, 2 years, 5.8 cap hit

Tristan Jarry, 2 years, 3.5

Martin Jones, 3 years, 5.75

Holtby, 1 year, 4.3 mill

MA Fleury, UFA 2022, 7 million 

The hardest choice for Francis is who to take from tampa - Palat, Gourde, Kilorn.  I’d go with Palat, but he probably goes back to Tampa after a year.  Palat has only has one year (ideally you’d probably want him for two), Gourse, probably at least one year too many and Kilorn, like Johnson is paid a bit too much.

if you are Francis, would you offer to take Johnson, if they also give Palat, or even palat and Gourde?  Would certainly fast track them into a Vegas type success story.  If you are Tampa, do you willingly give a key piece like Palat to get much needed cap room and get rid of Johnson?

Price is not the only interesting choice for Francis to make.

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Who could be goalies we could take and help teams out cap wise, for a fee of course.

Mikko Koskinen, UFA 2022, 4.5 million cap hit.

Ben Bishop, 2 years, 4.9 cap hit

Jonathan Quick, 2 years, 5.8 cap hit

Tristan Jarry, 2 years, 3.5

Martin Jones, 3 years, 5.75

Holtby, 1 year, 4.3 mill

MA Fleury, UFA 2022, 7 million 

MAF might be ideal if Price is injured and will miss the season as he's capable of top-calibre play and only has one year remaining on his contract. But so much depends on whether Price will be back before/early in the season, will miss the season -- or will move to Seattle.

21 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

... If Price didn’t have a no trade then I’d bet he’d be gone. But Seattle can’t flip him without his permission. Maybe a team like Vancouver or Edmonton see what it would take, but Seattle would have no clue if Price would agree to go. If they could get him and retain a few million and flip him, they’d get a good return. 

Officially, they would have no idea ... but, if draft and flip were their plan, I suspect a trade would be pre-arranged and both Seattle and the destination team would "somehow" know it if was acceptable ... they can't outright ask Price until they own his rights, but hockey people talk to hockey people ... somewhat like how some UFA contracts used to get signed so quickly after the market opened despite teams and players not being allowed to formally discuss details (except for the last few seasons of "legal tampering").

Sportsnet has the draft scheduled for 90 minutes (8:00-9:30) ... so the pace should be decent (theoretically 3 minutes per player) ... and that isn't taking into account the undoubted blah-blah to start (e.g., Bettman , some combination of David Bonderman, Jerry Bruckheimer and Tod Leiweke) ... more reasonable than I expected.

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Sportsnet has the draft scheduled for 90 minutes (8:00-9:30) ... so the pace should be decent (theoretically 3 minutes per player) ... and that isn't taking into account the undoubted blah-blah to start (e.g., Bettman , some combination of David Bonderman, Jerry Bruckheimer and Tod Leiweke) ... more reasonable than I expected.

Is it done by draft order or alphabetical? I don’t remember what happened in Vegas. 

30 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Is it done by draft order or alphabetical? I don’t remember what happened in Vegas. 

If I was the producer I would do it in "random" order so that totally by chance the last two picks are Toronto and Montreal ... Laffs and Habs at the end would keep the most fans watching in Canada (let's face it, most viewers are in Canada) ... maybe throw TBL as the third last given the array of "better known players" from which the Kraken to may select.

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There is a draft order that was randomized.  I believe the selection from the Habs is sixth overall.

• Upvote 1

I’m sort of surprised Seattle didn’t sign Danault.  I’m starting to wonder if his contract demands are too high for a non-Montreal market.

I don’t think he’s worth the reported contract he was offered, which was 5 or 6 years @ $5m per.  This may play into MB’s favour.  

Taking Jordan Eberle's contract over Kieffer Bellows? UFA AHLer Gavin Bayreuther? Morgan Geekie? There are side deals coming out later, right? Or maybe Seattle is just trolling the world with a fake list after the Larsson news leaked?

here are the projected expansion draft picks by SEA