Seattle Expansion Draft

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If I'm Seattle, I don't waste my picks on UFAs. I just go sign them on the open market following the expansion draft. So I'm not surprised they didn't pick Danault at all.

They took multiple UFAs.... Larsson, Dreidger, Oleksiak, who they signed deals with. 

5 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Weird, the rumoured roster doesn't appear to meet the contract requirements. Not enough 21-22 contracts.

I think they are counting Larsson, Dreidger and Oleksiak as 21-22 deals since they signed. 

2 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

This is more of a @dlbalr or @Commandantquestion, but if there are side deals can they be announced today or not until the roster freeze is lifted?  That might explain some of the questionable picks.

We will get some side deals tonight

I don't think the picks are that strange.  This is a very, very analytics focused front office (Francis teams in Carolina were always great analytically and sunk by Cam Ward or other bad goaltending he just couldn't get out from due to their contracts). He built the roster they have now, which is excellent

The projected point total by the analytics guys at Evolving Wild is 102 points.  That is with plenty of cap space left and virtually no long-term, big money contracts giving them a ton of flexibility out the gate. 

Seattle makes the playoffs, mark my words... and by year 3 they are a true cup contender

38 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Weird, the rumoured roster doesn't appear to meet the contract requirements. Not enough 21-22 contracts.

Where are you all seeing a full roster? TSN, LeBrun, Friedman, Seravalli... I haven't seen anything new since the Borgen pick.

Also, whoever is leaking all of this needs to be fired. This was a big opportunity to have a big event on ESPN2 with live reaction shots of teams finding out who they are losing. Instead the whole thing has been leaking all day and we're apparently getting pre-recorded videos of picks that were filmed before the actual picks were in. What a typical horrible PR move by Bettman. This league has worse marketing than MLB.

1 minute ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Where are you all seeing a full roster? TSN, LeBrun, Friedman, Seravalli... I haven't seen anything new since the Borgen pick.

Also, whoever is leaking all of this needs to be fired. This was a big opportunity to have a big event on ESPN2 with live reaction shots of teams finding out who they are losing. Instead the whole thing has been leaking all day and we're apparently getting pre-recorded videos of picks that were filmed before the actual picks were in. What a typical horrible PR move by Bettman. This league has worse marketing than MLB.

Players are informed. Players tell their family, friends, pizza guy, etc. Sucks, but insiders gonna insider.

3 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Players are informed. Players tell their family, friends, pizza guy, etc. Sucks, but insiders gonna insider.

We should live reactions from players finding out, too! The only people who should know until the show should be the Seattle front office and the league officials who verify and approve it. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

They are not informed in the entry draft until everyone else is, too.

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

They are not informed in the entry draft until everyone else is, too.

Draft picks for an entry draft aren't submitted to the league 10 hours before they are actually selected.

Imagine if the NHL gathered all of the exposed NHLers in a rink to hear their names be called!

22 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

This is the first event on ESPN in 17 years.  ESPN paid the NHL a shit load of money.  If I'm Bettman, I would have done the following.  I want this new deal to get off on the right foot.  Never want to make a bad first impression.

Seattle, you tell nobody.  If this gets out we are fining the team.  

Teams and players can find out at 8:00 pm, its not like they need to fly to seattle before hand.

You sign any UFAs, ok, that leaks, no avoiding that due to agents and players involved.  But everyone else, you can't leak any of it. 

Then you say to the people working at NHL Central Registry, anyone leaks these picks, youre fired.

This is such a HUGE missed marketing opportunity.... HUGE....

An event that fans from all 32 teams will watch?  The NHL never gets those.  Not enough people know the prospects to give the NHL Draft a big rating, and the sport is so regional that lots of fans wont even watch the cup final if their team isn't playing.  This was a HUGE marketing opportunity and its gone now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

This is the first event on ESPN in 17 years.  ESPN paid the NHL a shit load of money.  If I'm Bettman, I would have done the following.  I want this new deal to get off on the right foot.  Never want to make a bad first impression.

Seattle, you tell nobody.  If this gets out we are fining the team.  

Teams and players can find out at 8:00 pm, its not like they need to fly to seattle before hand.

You sign any UFAs, ok, that leaks, no avoiding that due to agents and players involved.  But everyone else, you can't leak any of it. 

Then you say to the people working at NHL Central Registry, anyone leaks these picks, youre fired.

This is such a HUGE missed marketing opportunity.... HUGE....

An event that fans from all 32 teams will watch?  The NHL never gets those.  Not enough people know the prospects to give the NHL Draft a big rating, and the sport is so regional that lots of fans wont even watch the cup final if their team isn't playing.  This was a HUGE marketing opportunity and its gone now.

This is the culmination of years of terrible marketing.  Even when the league produced a brilliant line of myNHL ads, they were too cheap to air them anywhere other than during NHL games. This was a huge opportunity for the league to make a splash on ESPN and they totally botched it.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

We will get some side deals tonight

I don't think the picks are that strange.  This is a very, very analytics focused front office (Francis teams in Carolina were always great analytically and sunk by Cam Ward or other bad goaltending he just couldn't get out from due to their contracts). He built the roster they have now, which is excellent

The projected point total by the analytics guys at Evolving Wild is 102 points.  That is with plenty of cap space left and virtually no long-term, big money contracts giving them a ton of flexibility out the gate. 

Seattle makes the playoffs, mark my words... and by year 3 they are a true cup contender

So he should have actually taken Price than…

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

So he should have actually taken Price than…

The Hurricanes have done fine with cheap goalies who are half decent (but not great) and not spending 10.5 million on the goaltending.

Dreidger and Vanecek should be able to provide what Mrazek/Reimer have done in Carolina.

Seems like someone told TSN and the well known insiders to shut the hell up. None of them have posted anything since around the time the Borgen pick was spoiled. They should have thought of that a lot earlier.

9 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Seems like someone told TSN and the well known insiders to shut the hell up. None of them have posted anything since around the time the Borgen pick was spoiled. They should have thought of that a lot earlier.

It’s not the insiders fault that the kraken have loose lips. They’re doing their jobs. It’s the team that is at fault.

14 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

By then, pretty much every pick was leaked.  They're all out there now.

16 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Was I blaming the insiders?

Not saying you were - just commenting on the comment that they were told to stay quiet.

This presentation is leaping back and forth from charming to cringey, but the emphasis is on cringey.

If they announced the trades that went with some of these picks the crowd might pick up a bit.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

... Seattle, you tell nobody.  If this gets out we are fining the team.  

Teams and players can find out at 8:00 pm, its not like they need to fly to seattle before hand ...

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

They also didn't need the list 10 hours before.  Could have been 2 hours. 

Don't know that they even needed two hours ...really just require long enough for the NHL to confirm that Seattle has complied with all the draft rules before picks are announced.