Seattle Expansion Draft

Fanpuck33

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

But they need to trade guys, so why wouldn't they choose some players that other teams value instead of some of these barely NHLers? No GM is slamming a table saying, "Sonova bitch! What do we have to give up to get John Quenneville on our team?"

Quenneville is not gonna be on their roster.  He will either be in the AHL or not even signed.  They need some picks where they just didnt want anyone (chicago, columbus, philly) so they just took guys they can let go in a few days or put in the ahl.

Their goal was if.there is no value contracts on that team then just pass.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

So did Francis really screw the pooch with some of his picks? He really seemed fixated on players he drafted when he was GM of the canes - one of was a solid pick for sure, but there seemed to be better options.

At least for now, he hasn’t tried to use his cap space to pick up high dollar value contracts that expire within 2 years from cash-strapped  teams, that he could probably trade on other teams by retaining salary.

Why take them in the expansion draft for free.

If philly really wants out of Voracek or st Louis wants out tarasenko at full cap hit.  They can pay francis a pick to do it.  Hes not letting you out of your mistake for free 

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Why take them in the expansion draft for free.

If philly really wants out of Voracek or st Louis wants out tarasenko at full cap hit.  They can pay francis a pick to do it.  Hes not letting you out of your mistake for free 

Oh. I’m not say you pick Tarasenko now - Dunn was absolutely the right choice. But to make that splash, why wouldn’t you have already announced some of those deals right now for maximum impact?? The draft was a complete dud.

I think there was also an opportunity of trying to extract more from Tampa as well, say we’re picking Palat, but we will get you out of the Johnson mess, if you also give us Gourde.  I can’t see them letting go of Palat now, but they might have done a deal like this hat for Gourde.

I also thought two of his picks were guys up that may have been a case of a GM still in love with old picks. Bean was definitely a good pick. Not so sure about the others.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Quenneville is not gonna be on their roster.  He will either be in the AHL or not even signed.  They need some picks where they just didnt want anyone (chicago, columbus, philly) so they just took guys they can let go in a few days or put in the ahl.

Their goal was if.there is no value contracts on that team then just pass.

I'm supposed to believe it's better to take non-players than to take NHL players that you can at least try to flip for an asset?

Taking Adam Gaudette cuts into the precious cap space too much? I'm supposed to believe no GM out there is interested in Nikita Zadorov for a middle-round pick? Punting your Columbus choice is better than taking a chance on Kevin Stenlund? Fans are supposed to get really excited about Carsen Twarynski instead of what van Riemsdyk could net them with a bit of retained salary? "Hey KrakHeads! Get real excited that we took the 6th best player available to us from Los Angeles! woot woot!"

Francis is just telling his fans, "Nah fam, I'd rather have fewer trade options. Don't want to work too hard this summer."

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

That team when plugged into the Roster builder at Evolving Hockey, is a 102 pt projected regular season (by WAR).

Seattle is EXTREMELY analytics focused.  They picked the best (Projected WAR/Cap Hit) they could, and are projecting 25 million to make the team even better in the next week or so.

This is an excellent draft, it gives them a competitive crop, but one that can be added to with exactly what Seattle wants. They have no long-term bad contracts so they have a ton of flexibility. 

I don't know how a team that looks like they're going to struggle to score two goals per game as currently constructed is going to put up 102 points.  If they go and add a few top-six forwards, then sure, they'll be good.  But a team that has a number one line of Jared McCann, Yanni Gourde, and Jordan Eberle is going to have a hard time scoring no matter what the projections say.  Those players are going to be in vastly different (and less ideal) roles than they had on their old teams so WAR/AAV probably isn't an ideal measuring stick in this situation.

7 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I expect a bunch of moves coming for the Kraken over the next two weeks so I doubt that is their opening roster. 

I dont expect Habs will be in on any deals with them eh?

Did they pick anyone that, they arnt keeping and Habs would want?

Big game UFA or maybe RFA hunting Bergie will be, i assume. 

21 minutes ago, DON said:

yani gourde, who is in IR and has a high salary.

I would trade our 1st round pick in 2021 and some AHLers or waiver exempt players for him if they keep some salary.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would trade our 1st round pick in 2021 and some AHLers or waiver exempt players for him if they keep some salary.

Are the Kraken likely trading him?

13 minutes ago, DON said:

not sure, probably not... wait... I see 🤦‍♀️ (face palm) I misread your post.

No, the Habs don't have a chance

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

There is zero chance that they would trade Gourde for the 30th pick, some fringe players let alone retain salary...LOL

It seems clear that the Kraken are going after the UFA market...I expect they will push hard for Landeskog and Danault. 

That solidifies a top line (Landeskog, Danault, Eberle).

Assuming Hall and Grubauer resign with their teams as expected...I think they'll also look to sign Coleman, Palmieri and a goalie. That "and a goalie" would be something like one of Andersen, Bernier, Mrazek. I think they'll want a veteran platoon-mate for the goalies they selected...I don't think they risk an entire season with 3 "youngish" backups who haven't really played platoon level minutes in the NHL beyond maybe Vanacek.  That effectively rounds out lines 2/3 and their goaltending and still likely leaves them nearly $4M under the cap...and means that if they take Beniers/Guenther in the draft they don't need him to be a top 6 player out of the gate.

I expect they'll flip a d-man they selected for a draft pick too...probably Soucy but I could even see Giordano getting flipped (just a hunch because even though Giordano was at the draft, I didn't get the sense from his moment on stage that he was happy or impressed).  If Giordano they'd likely want to sign another top 4 dman...if Soucy it'll be for cap room and whatever pick they can get (I think Soucy is solid and could be a 2nd pairing guy for some teams, but he's a LD who likely gets asked to play RD, likely gets them more value in picks and clears out nearly $3M they can use elsewhere).

I think the entire draft and lack of "deals" to take on salary and flip guys was to keep room for the UFA's.  Not doing deals and not going after UFA's and doing a slow build will seriously tick off Giordano, Larsson, Oleksiak and Gourde...and signal to the league that they're a crap management group and not a place you want to end up.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Yeah I doubt that we trade with the Kraken but I do expect a Dman at the very least getting here somehow 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Likely no... they need all the offence they can get. 

They are likely moving their excess d men though.   We could look there for depth, but not a weber replacement or anything. 

I like the look of Seattle's D, and with a few UFAs they'll have a deep forward group as well.  They avoided any questionable assets and have a lot of youth and upside.  I'm glad they're not in our conference.

They are likely moving their excess d men though.   We could look there for depth, but not a weber replacement or anything. 

What options on d do they have we could/should trade for? Wouldnt UFA be a better route to look for 3rd pairing RH depth guy (i dont know who is available but assume more to pick from)?

16 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Are Seattle tanking for next season's draft with the great top 3 ???

that may be a smart move, we'll know it is the plan if they trade some of their extra assets for picks next year

Vince Dunn if they want to move him.. 

On paper, young d seems a perfect fit for Seattle, why would they do that? Do they want picks that bad?

Just now, DON said:

On paper, young d seems a perfect fit for Seattle, why would they do that? Do they want picks that bad?

I said, "if they want to move him" cause I dont think they will. 

That said they have far too many D and not enough forwards so they are gonna make some flips.

Just now, Commandant said:

I said, "if they want to move him" cause I dont think they will

That said they have far too many D and not enough forwards so they are gonna make some flips.

SO relistically, they likely wont have anything to offer the Habs and UFA market is where Habs will likely be looking, or trade with some other team.

Heard Colin Miller (never heard of before), Ristolainen, Jones (staying in USA i heard), Goligoski mentioned, would you consider any of those possible targets to fill top 4 spot?

27 minutes ago, DON said:

SO relistically, they likely wont have anything to offer the Habs and UFA market is where Habs will likely be looking, or trade with some other team.

Heard Colin Miller (never heard of before), Ristolainen, Jones (staying in USA i heard), Goligoski mentioned, would you consider any of those possible targets to fill top 4 spot?

Jones will be too expensive..

I like Risto, think he’d fit well.

I’m guessing Hamilton signs elsewhere, somewhere down south.

Ekholm or OEL would be nice adds but they both shoot left.

A guy I think would be perfect is Klingberg out of Dallas.. one year left so maybe they move him.. they just paid big bucks to Miro. 

• Like 1

John Klingberg would be a nice trade

Risto, I don't think he's a top pair Dman, and I'm not even sure he's a 2nd pair guy and for that cap hit is scary. 

OEL has fallen off.  Too big a cap hit for what he does. 

Ekholm is nice but a lefty. 

Colin Miller, defensive liability, third pair/7th D only.

Goligoski, too old. 

I still like the idea of Tyson Barrie and another player like David Savard using Weber's cap hit if we can't get a true Number 1 in Hamilton.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I still like the idea of Tyson Barrie and another player like David Savard using Weber's cap hit if we can't get a true Number 1 in Hamilton.

How much will Barrie demand?

Lots of points, so what habs could use for sure.

2014-15 Colorado Avalanche NHL 80 12 41 53 26 5 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Colorado Avalanche NHL 78 13 36 49 31 -16 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Colorado Avalanche NHL 74 7 31 38 18 -34 -- -- -- -- --
2017-18 Colorado Avalanche NHL 68 14 43 57 22 -15 6 0 4 4 2
2018-19 Colorado Avalanche NHL 78 14 45 59 36 -3 12 1 7 8 4
2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 70 5 34 39 16 -7 5 0 0 0 2
2020-21 Edmonton Oilers NHL 56 8 40 48 10 4 4 0 1 1 0