Seattle Expansion Draft

Fanpuck33

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

... I still like the idea of Tyson Barrie and another player like David Savard using Weber's cap hit if we can't get a true Number 1 in Hamilton.

The other two names I've thought of in such a two-pronged approach to replacing Weber are Montour and Harmonic ... thoughts?

Just now, GHT120 said:

The other two names I've thought of in such a two-pronged approach to replacing Weber are Montour and Harmonic ... thoughts?

Don't think Hamonic would sign in Montreal. He has family issues that he needs to be in the Western Conference. 

Montour, I'd like to get more offence from that spot and have someone for the PP out of the spot. 

So, suppose that we can't get Douglas Hamilton. It appears Bergevin is looking into it, but we're not the only ones in the game, so it'll be well below 50%.

And suppose we were able to attract Barrie and Savard. That's not ideal, I think, because really we want at least one elite D. But beggars can't be choosers ... so if those two signed up with us, what would you propose for the defence pairings?

29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He signed for 1 year 3.75 on his last contract, which was coming off the disappointing year in Toronto.  

I'd think he wants an AAV of around 5.

After the year he had, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets closer to 6. He bet on himself and it paid off.

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And suppose we were able to attract Barrie and Savard. That's not ideal, I think, because really we want at least one elite D. But beggars can't be choosers ... so if those two signed up with us, what would you propose for the defence pairings?

Pretty straightforward, I think. Chiarot-Petry, Edmunson-Barrie, and Romanov-Savard. At least to start the season, with the hope than Romanov works his way up the lineup.

1 minute ago, Fanpuck33 said:

After the year he had, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets closer to 6. He bet on himself and it paid off.

He's the only defenseman ever to finish top of scoring among defensemen and not get a single Norris vote. I'm not sure his bet has paid off as handsomely as he'd like.

7 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Term seems to be the issue in his talks with Edmonton.  They've been talking about something in the $5M range but he wants 4 years, they haven't moved off 3 years yet.  With Larsson moving on, I wonder if they reconsider now.

6 hours ago, tomh009 said:

So, suppose that we can't get Douglas Hamilton. It appears Bergevin is looking into it, but we're not the only ones in the game, so it'll be well below 50%.

Edmundson - Petry

Chiarot - Barrie

Romanov - Savard

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Edmundson - Petry

Chiarot - Barrie

Romanov - Savard

couldn't agree more.

just singing Barrie would be fine too.

Edmundson - Petry

Chiarot - Barrie

Kulak - Romanov

would be fine too

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I am a Barrie fan and I hope we sign him. 

Barrie is a better version of Kulak and that’s amazing 🤩 

For $20-25m i hope he would be better than Kulak.:popcorn:

My hope is that MB manages to land Hamilton, it would change the profile of the defence and I think fit well with DD's approach offensively ... if not, Barrie and a solid RH3D, so ??? and Romanov, at least to start the season (AR may play his way up the lineup), can take more minutes off the shoulders of the top 4 ... but for absolutely no reason in particular I can see the Habs signing David Savard (3-5 years, $4-4.5M) and Deangelo (1-2 years, $3-3.5M).

51 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

My hope is that MB manages to land Hamilton, it would change the profile of the defence and I think fit well with DD's approach offensively ... if not, Barrie and a solid RH3D, so ??? and Romanov, at least to start the season (AR may play his way up the lineup), can take more minutes off the shoulders of the top 4 ... but for absolutely no reason in particular I can see the Habs signing David Savard (3-5 years, $4-4.5M) and Deangelo (1-2 years, $3-3.5M).

That would not shock me. 

On-ice it would be fine. 

I have my own off-ice issues with DeAngelo

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

... I have my own off-ice issues with DeAngelo

Tony and his agent will have to provide one heck of a sales pitch to any team signing him ... one can only hope that he has learned that bigoted views are wrong and/or to keep his various opinions to himself.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I am a Barrie fan and I hope we sign him. 

Barrie is a better version of Kulak and that’s amazing 🤩 

Barrie had a good year, got a lot of points on the power play with McDavid and Draisaitl so his stats are definitely inflated. I think we all know that. Not very physical or great defensively but a good puck mover. Hard to say if the fit would be a good one. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Barrie had a good year, got a lot of points on the power play with McDavid and Draisaitl so his stats are definitely inflated. I think we all know that. Not very physical or great defensively but a good puck mover. Hard to say if the fit would be a good one. 

the list of available RDs is very short.

There is Hamilton, then a bunch of overpaid or overachieving RDs like Barrie and Savard ... then it's off the cliff

If the Habs cannot land either Hamilton or Barrie, I much rather they keep Merrill and Gustafsson

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

the list of available RDs is very short.

There is Hamilton, then a bunch of overpaid or overachieving RDs like Barrie and Savard ... then it's off the cliff

If the Habs cannot land either Hamilton or Barrie, I much rather they keep Merrill and Gustafsson

I just don't want MB to overpay. Nice to have some cap room so you can land guys like Toffoli when the opportunity comes up. 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah 🤗 I meant in style but Kulak is way underrated by everyone except Commandant and me. 

It’s the rest of the hockey world that is wrong 

I dont think Kulak is very underrated (Seattle didnt think so i assume?) and he does have his warts. Not that he does not have some good skills and is OK defender, but 3rd pairing is best for him, i think anyways. 

1 minute ago, DON said:

I dont think Kulak is very underrated (Seattle didnt think so i assume?) and he does have his warts. Not that he does not have some good skills and is OK defender, but 3rd pairing is best for him, i think anyways. 

He tends to be come undone when he plays too many minutes 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

... I have my own off-ice issues with DeAngelo

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Tony and his agent will have to provide one heck of a sales pitch to any team signing him ... one can only hope that he has learned that bigoted views are wrong and/or to keep his various opinions to himself.

Turns out Hockey30 and Tony Marinaro do have an upside ... I hadn't realized that Trevor Letowski coached Deangelo for 4 seasons in Sarnia ... at least MB has access to some direct insight ... and maybe Habs have someone that TD will listen to.

26 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Turns out Hockey30 and Tony Marinaro do have an upside ... I hadn't realized that Trevor Letowski coached Deangelo for 4 seasons in Sarnia ... at least MB has access to some direct insight ... and maybe Habs have someone that TD will listen to.

His two homophobic slur suspensions happened in sarnia.