Carey Price exposed in expansion draft

Neech

Will the Kraken chose Carey Price?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Kraken chose Carey Price?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would losing Price and his cap hit be good for the team over the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

Without Price, the Habs would be ordinary , a bubble team at most 

With a decent 1A to go with Allen, they would arguably be a better regular-season team. It's in the playoffs that Price makes the difference.

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Like normal? 

There's no way Carey would waive his NMC if he wasn't happy to go to Seattle.    

The more I think about the move to expose Carey the more I like it. I am a big fan of Price but without a quality backup he cannot sustain a high level of play during the season and he needs to be rested for the playoffs.  Jake Allen is the perfect back up.

If Seattle does select him (I would be surprised if they do) then the rebuild continues with some great young kids, no bad contracts and a ton of cap room. 

I am fine with either scenario. 

7 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

They take Price and trade him back to us with 50% retained. 

Costs several picks and a top prospect. 

I hope this doesn’t happen!

Its against league rules, so it won't happen.

5 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Isn't their a claws where they have to play a full season first ? Seattle wouldn't be allowed to traded him right back.

But it's looking like they may indeed pick him. Bergevin was complaining he didn't want to lose Allan for nothing but in the end  he might lose Tatar, Danault, Price and Weber all for nothing.

So who's the top prospect in next year's draft anyway 🤔

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

But it's looking like they may indeed pick him. Bergevin was complaining he didn't want to lose Allan for nothing but in the end  he might lose Tatar, Danault, Price and Weber all for nothing.

That's the wrong way to look at it. You are not losing them for nothing, you are gaining cap room which in some cases can be more valuable. What would you rather have ; a beat up Shea Weber during the regular season or 7.5 million in cap space to sign a much younger free agent defenceman?   

I haven't seen any indication that Seattle will take Price. That's a big chunk of change especially with the bonus due. 

If we fail to replace Weber it no real point in keeping Price. 

But if we can sign Dougie then we need Price. No way we can get in on the big UFAs without Price.

I guess Kraken will decide if its another go with the ol boys or if its rebuild time.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Umm, I think that’s what we have been for the past 5 years. Have you been watching another team in another dimension? We were a bubble tram that made the finals, but that didn’t make us any less a bubble team.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

Like normal? 

There's no way Carey would waive his NMC if he wasn't happy to go to Seattle.    

His in laws are there, so that may have been the one team he was willing to waive the NMC, while helping the team as well.

Like most, i am fine with him going (or hope they do take him), but odds of that are slim to none, given the $$, age, injuries or wear & tear on him.

So, hopefully Allen/Primeau can hold the fort till Price is healthy again, assuming he has some medical tune up in august.

If Price is out for half the season or longer, we need to sign another goalie. 

Last season showed Primeau is not NHL ready. 

And that's fine, He's 21 years old with 49 AHL games under his belt, no one should expect NHL ready.

14 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

If we fail to replace Weber it no real point in keeping Price. 

But if we can sign Dougie then we need Price. No way we can get in on the big UFAs without Price.

I guess Kraken will decide if its another go with the ol boys or if its rebuild time.

You make a very good point. Having reached the Finals is a huge selling point with UFAs. But if Price leaves, they are likely to discount what we achieved as irrelevant.

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Umm, I think that’s what we have been for the past 5 years. Have you been watching another team in another dimension? We were a bubble tram that made the finals, but that didn’t make us any less a bubble team.

Yep. Three of Price's last four regular seasons have been mediocre at best. By contrast, his last two playoffs were terrific. He is no longer a regular-season difference-maker but still has it in the crunch. Add that to our sclerotic but hard-nosed D-corps and the Habs are a bubble team that gusts to being a very tough "out" in the playoffs.

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

My understanding is that it still counts as their pick. That’s why we protected UFA Armia 

If they sign him before the draft, during their exclusive negotiating window, then yes it counts as a pick.  (Vegas did this with exactly one player). 

However, once free agency opens next wednesday they can sign whatever UFAs they want. 

Just now, Commandant said:

If they sign him before the draft, during their exclusive negotiating window, then yes it counts as a pick.  (Vegas did this with exactly one player). 

However, once free agency opens next wednesday they can sign whatever UFAs they want. 

I need you on speed dial to help me understand the rules 🙌

Why did we protect Armia then?

15 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I believe that each team had to expose at least two forwards and a defenseman who played 27 games this season, or 54 between the last two seasons. For Montreal, those two forwards were Byron and Drouin. That left one spot open for an unrestricted free agent. Given their impasse with Danault, they put Armia in that slot, seemingly in hope of getting a deal done before he hits the open market.

25 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think it was to expose players who meet the criteria for games played AND are under contract.

You have to expose 2 forwards, 1 defenceman and 1 goalie who meet specific criteria for games played and are signed for the 2021-22 season.  The two forwards who meet that criteria for Montreal are Byron and Drouin.   

If they didn't protect Armia, it would have been one of Dauphin, Blandisi, Vejdemo as the 7th forward, and I'm sure if Seattle (who is picking 30 players for 23 man roster) wants to take one of these AHLers for depth, the Habs are fine with that and keeping Price. So it was leaving those open on the (VERY SMALL) chance that Seattle choses montreal as one of the teams they will take a minor league player from. 

This is one of the reasons i thought they might go 4 and 4 before the Weber news. With Caufield and Suzuki and Poehling exempt, and with all the UFAs on the Habs roster, going 4 and 4 would have left Lehkonen and Evans open as our other two forwards (in addition to what we already left). And I thought keeping the 4th Dman was more valuable than those two. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There doesn't seem to be an official rule against it, but I read somewhere that the league has told the teams in no uncertain terms that this would be ruled as being cap circumvention. How Toronto and Tampa using 3rd parties to retain salary in order to acquire players is much different is questionable.