Carey Price exposed in expansion draft

Neech

Will the Kraken chose Carey Price?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Kraken chose Carey Price?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would losing Price and his cap hit be good for the team over the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

From LeBrun's story tonight in the Athletic:

Price has a doctor’s appointment Thursday in New York City for his knee, which might need surgery, although while he’s there they’ll want to check out his hip just to make sure. (As an aside, if Seattle is picking him and wants him there Wednesday evening for the unveil, they better tell him sooner rather than later before he gets on his Wednesday flight for New York.) It’s this health concern that prompted Price himself to come up with this stunning idea of exposing him and protecting Jake Allen just in case Price wasn’t ready to start the season. Price, I’m told, even called Allen before doing this to make sure he was OK with it.

(...)

The Kraken, for what it’s worth, have had a few calls over the last few days with Price’s camp led by agent Gerry Johansson, doing a deep dive before making their decision and they have had access to his medical file.

• Like 1

Angela Price is doing a great job at trolling via social media. "Heading to Washington tomorrow for no reason at all."

I don't have an instagram account, so my wife was showing it to me earlier.

8 minutes ago, huzer said:

Angela Price is doing a great job at trolling via social media. "Heading to Washington tomorrow for no reason at all."

I don't have an instagram account, so my wife was showing it to me earlier.

Is that Washington, DC? 🤪

Ha ha, that is well played by Mrs. Price.

Obviously the Prices are very, very comfortable with the idea of going to Seattle. For all that he spins it as being about keeping Allen, there’s no way Carey broaches the idea of leaving himself unprotected if he isn’t 100% happy at the thought of ending his career as a Kraken. I even wonder if he played Bergevin a little bit - “they’ll never pick me, not with this injury, etc.” 

I don’t want a rebuild and don’t want him to be picked. Still, he deserves to move close to home if that’s what he and his family want, and it suits the Kraken. He’s earned it.

• Like 1

While I still don’t think Seattle will take price, it would be quite an odd feeling if they did. Price has been the cornerstone of the franchise for so long now. He’s been our elite player. And, *poof*, just like that, he’d be gone. What/who becomes the identity of the team?

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Seattle can sign players to 8-year deals in this window.

I get that is an incentive to get Danault to sign, but unless your are getting a huge discount on the annual cap hit, there is absolutely no way I’d commit to 8 years to a player like Danault at his age.

56 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ha ha, that is well played by Mrs. Price.

Obviously the Prices are very, very comfortable with the idea of going to Seattle. For all that he spins it as being about keeping Allen, there’s no way Carey broaches the idea of leaving himself unprotected if he isn’t 100% happy at the thought of ending his career as a Kraken. I even wonder if he played Bergevin a little bit - “they’ll never pick me, not with this injury, etc.” 

I don’t want a rebuild and don’t want him to be picked. Still, he deserves to move close to home if that’s what he and his family want, and it suits the Kraken. He’s earned it.

I doubt if he actually ”played” MB. I’m sure with Weber’s situation, MB sees it as an opportunity to get out of an otherwise unmovable contract at a time moves are made worst thing MB could have done is say, we were close I’ll just get another depth D, another wonder and some insurance at centre if Danault doesn’t return. Too many times losing in the finals have made that mistake. 

on Price’s side, it’s probably a win-win. If Seattle doesn’t pick him, he has his preferred backup. If they take him, he finishes his career close to home.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I doubt if he actually ”played” MB. I’m sure with Weber’s situation, MB sees it as an opportunity to get out of an otherwise unmovable contract at a time moves are made worst thing MB could have done is say, we were close I’ll just get another depth D, another wonder and some insurance at centre if Danault doesn’t return. Too many times losing in the finals have made that mistake. 

on Price’s side, it’s probably a win-win. If Seattle doesn’t pick him, he has his preferred backup. If they take him, he finishes his career close to home.

Definitely win-win on Price’s side.

My problem is that Price just finished demonstrating that he can backstop a team to the Cup Finals. Yes, his contract is bad. But if we can replace Weber with (say) Hamilton, the team which just came within three games of the Cup will be significantly improved. Add another puck-mover, that’s more improvement. Almost all of our key players are either in their early 20s or in their primes. 

I’m not so naive as to *assume* that we’re going to go on another run. What I am reluctant to do is just throw in the towel, as if a team only ever gets one shot, and then you have to dismantle it. True, this logic probably would have held if Weber hadn’t gotten hurt; but if we can upgrade on Weber, surely it is premature to say “well, this team has zero chance, may as well blow it up.”