Jump to content

Carey Price exposed in expansion draft


Neech
 Share

Will the Kraken chose Carey Price?  

25 members have voted

  1. 1. Will the Kraken chose Carey Price?

    • Yes
      7
    • No
      18
  2. 2. Would losing Price and his cap hit be good for the team over the next 5 years?

    • Yes
      16
    • No
      9


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

LTIR only frees up cap space if he would be out the entire season ... his full cap hit returns if he is activated from LTIR in-season.

From my understanding of half reading how LTIR works, it doesn’t remove the contract from the cap.  It instead potentially increases the teams cap according to time missed.  An example would be, using rounded numbers;

 

The cap is $80m, Montreal’s salaries are $80m.

Price’s contract is $10.5m.

Price misses 41 of the 82 games (50%).

The team’s cap rises by 50% of Price’s contract, so $5.25m.

The team’s ceiling is now $85.25m for the current season only.

Price’s $10.5m is counted against the cap the entire season.  
These are all round numbers.


If Montreal’s salaries were less than the cap, the relief is added to the current salaries, not the cap.. So same scenario as above but Montreal isn’t at the cap.

 

The cap is $80m.  Montreal’s salaries are $78m.

Price’s cap relief is still $5.25m.

Price’s cap relief is added to the salaries NOT the ceiling, so $5.25m + $78m = $83.25m is the new ceiling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thot that Carey might have played his last game as a Hab is surreal. I’m having a hard time getting my mind around it. 
 

i was hoping the Habs could build on their playoff success with more of a few upgrades rather than a reload, reset or rebuild. 
 

yet - I can see how logically it’s best to find a cheaper goaltending option so the cap space can be used elsewhere … but emotionally, I really wanted Carey to retire a Hab AND have his name engraved at least once in Lord Stanley’s Cup. 
 

for now, I’ll wait until 8pm Wednesday and trust that MB has a plan … one that keeps Carey in the fold AND makes the team ready for a successful 2021-22 season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

From my understanding of half reading how LTIR works, it doesn’t remove the contract from the cap.  It instead potentially increases the teams cap according to time missed.  An example would be, using rounded numbers;

 

The cap is $80m, Montreal’s salaries are $80m.

Price’s contract is $10.5m.

Price misses 41 of the 82 games (50%).

The team’s cap rises by 50% of Price’s contract, so $5.25m.

The team’s ceiling is now $85.25m for the current season only.

Price’s $10.5m is counted against the cap the entire season.  
These are all round numbers.


If Montreal’s salaries were less than the cap, the relief is added to the current salaries, not the cap.. So same scenario as above but Montreal isn’t at the cap.

 

The cap is $80m.  Montreal’s salaries are $78m.

Price’s cap relief is still $5.25m.

Price’s cap relief is added to the salaries NOT the ceiling, so $5.25m + $78m = $83.25m is the new ceiling.

 

There is no proration for LTIR.  In your scenario where Price misses half the year, the Habs would have to be under the $81.5M cap to activate him midseason.  They don't get a prorated boost for the time he missed.  While he's on LTIR, their ceiling would be over $90M (full AAV plus whatever the sum of Montreal's cap charge is at at the day of placement) but it drops back to the cap ceiling as soon as he's ready to go - as long as there aren't any other players on LTIR at the time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, revvvrob said:

The thot that Carey might have played his last game as a Hab is surreal. I’m having a hard time getting my mind around it. 

Still say odds are slim to none Seattle wastes a choice on him, just too much baggage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the “Rebuild?” thread, I just articulated my considered skepticism about rebuilding at this juncture.

 

If Price gets picked, between that and the loss of Weber, the team has its foundation kicked out from under it. UFAs, who otherwise would likely be attracted to Montreal as a Cup finalist, will stay away, so all that vaunted cap space is for naught. A rebuild becomes required whether we want it or not. We’ll be back to those “patch up job” years where we both sucked and sat on tons of cap room.

 

From Price’s POV, he can’t lose: get picked and play out your twilight years close to family on a team that could well be another ridiculous VGK-style instant contender, or stay and finish your career as the greatest Montreal Canadien of this era. But from our POV, unless we want a rebuild, my conclusion is that we should cross our fingers that Price does not get picked. 

 

And for my part, I’m not so sure he won’t be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

UFAs stay away from Montreal anyways, Price or no Price. Maybe one or two would be swayed by his presence, but I get the feeling that playing with Suzuki and Caufield or a well-rounded team headed in the right direction would make just as much difference on a case by case basis.  Or, you know, good ole fashioned offering the most money, which we'd be able to do with the cap space.  Price showed his worth this postseason, but that was the only time so far in his contract that he's approached being worth his cap hit.  

 

I'm surprised at the results of the poll, especially the second question.  I thought opinion was more split on Carey's overall value to the team going forward, but it seems that most are in agreement that his contract is too much of a millstone.  In a way, it would be the perfect farewell for a legend to go out on top, foregoing the likely protracted decline and negative value to the cap.  That said, most are in agreement that the Kraken will forego that protracted decline themselves, so it's probably a lot of handwringing for nothing.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Price has been poor as hell in the regular season for some time. 
 

Price has also been lights out good in the playoffs when that opportunity arises. 
 

The issue is that in order for Price’s playoff brilliance to shine the team has to make it there. Not many teams can afford such a huge cap hit for a playoff only player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is one thing that makes me think Seattle will not take Price.   If they do take him we will potentially have $30 in cap space.  Some of that will be used to replace Price, Weber and Danault but we will still have lots of cap available.  I believe the Kraken need to choose $60 million in players (correct me if this is wrong) in the draft.  

 

  This means we could have a similar amount of cap space to them.   If they want to use their cap space to buy assets, this would mean we would be able to compete  with them.   Having us as competition to buy bad contracts will reduce their leverage with other teams.  This has the potential to significantly reduce their final position.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DON said:

Still say odds are slim to none Seattle wastes a choice on him, just too much baggage.

 

I agree 100%,  34 years old, injury concerns, 10.5M cap hit.  I would be shocked if Seattle took him. There are better options for spending that kind of money. You could throw a chunk at Gabriel Landeskog and have an excellent captain for the next 7 years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peter Puck said:

There is one thing that makes me think Seattle will not take Price.   If they do take him we will potentially have $30 in cap space.  Some of that will be used to replace Price, Weber and Danault but we will still have lots of cap available.  I believe the Kraken need to choose $60 million in players (correct me if this is wrong) in the draft.  

 

In order for the Habs to really access the LTIR for Weber, they have to be at the cap ceiling.  If they don't get there (and most years they haven't lately), then they don't actually gain any space from his absence.

 

Seattle has to take 60% of the Upper Limit which is $48.9M.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I honestly don’t see Seattle taking Prices.  His age alone is a deterrent.  With his injury history, it’s feasible to believe he only has 3-5 years left, and the first one may be lost to injury.  Yes he has the star power, but there are a lot of risks.

 

I believe Drouin is the most interesting piece available on the Canadiens roster.  At 26, still has potential and signed for another 2 years, he could be this draft’s William Karlsson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:


A la Kucherov 

 

LTIR all session due to surgery?

 

Ready to dominate in the playoffs? If we make it that far. 
 

IDK the whole thing stinks of something fishy 

Or Seattle picks Price.  He goes on LTIR for the season and returns for the playoffs, a la Kucherov, and leads THEM to the Stanley Cup.

 

And once they are done picking a lineup that includes the likes of Giordano and Tarasenko, Johanson and Gourde - the will use the cap space to sign UFA's Danualt and Ovechkin!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I honestly don’t see Seattle taking Prices.  His age alone is a deterrent.  With his injury history, it’s feasible to believe he only has 3-5 years left, and the first one may be lost to injury.  Yes he has the star power, but there are a lot of risks.

 

I believe Drouin is the most interesting piece available on the Canadiens roster.  At 26, still has potential and signed for another 2 years, he could be this draft’s William Karlsson.

 

Drouin is WAY more established than Karlsson. 3rd overall pick and a well established 50 point player. Karlsson had never shown any sign whatsoever of being more than a 4th liner. He was just a cheap guy Vegas took because of the side-deal to not pick Anderson.

 

I do agree about Price. There are so many comparisons to Fleury, but Price is two years older than Fleury was, with more injuries in his history, has three more years on his contract than Fleury did, and is almost twice the salary as Fleury. Those are huge differences.

 

It will be very curious to see what happens with Drouin. Seattle surely has been in contact with him and/or his people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, titanfan said:

Or Seattle picks Price.  He goes on LTIR for the season and returns for the playoffs, a la Kucherov, and leads THEM to the Stanley Cup.

 

And once they are done picking a lineup that includes the likes of Giordano and Tarasenko, Johansen and Gourde - the will use the cap space to sign UFA's Danualt and Ovechkin!

 

If Seattle picks those five players, that will be nearly half their cap. They will surely choose some expensive players, but I would be shocked if they go that top heavy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

If Seattle picks those five players, that will be nearly half their cap. They will surely choose some expensive players, but I would be shocked if they go that top heavy.

I really don't think they'll pick up Tarasenko.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think they will select Price. I think it's either Kulak or a signed Danault.  Not sure overall on the quality of Cs available, so maybe Danault is someone they're looking at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Price has been poor as hell in the regular season for some time. 
 

Price has also been lights out good in the playoffs when that opportunity arises. 
 

The issue is that in order for Price’s playoff brilliance to shine the team has to make it there. Not many teams can afford such a huge cap hit for a playoff only player. 

It wasnt Price that looked like total crap this past season (he was mediocre for sure), it was skaters as a group on many nights that made my eyes bleed (either defense was shoddy or forwards who didnt even threaten to score). Could of had Dryden in his prime and would of been similar record.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, DON said:

It wasnt Price that looked like total crap this past season (he was mediocre for sure), it was skaters as a group on many nights that made my eyes bleed (either defense was shoddy or forwards who didnt even threaten to score). Could of had Dryden in his prime and would of been similar record.


I will most certainly agree that Price was poorly supported in the regular season. Price did take those 2 weeks off and came back strong as well. 
 

Still, regular season Price hasn’t been great for some time. Maybe surgery can fix his hip 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, huzer said:

I don't think they will select Price. I think it's either Kulak or a signed Danault.  Not sure overall on the quality of Cs available, so maybe Danault is someone they're looking at.

Danault is UFA, they can sign Danault and still pick a player off of Montreal.  The benefit of an extra year on Danault’s contract isn’t worth it to Seattle if it’s costing them a roster player.  Plus I’m not even sure if a deal like that could be struck where Montreal signs Danault to an 8 year contract to be picked by Seattle as the rosters are frozen currently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Danault is UFA, they can sign Danault and still pick a player off of Montreal.  The benefit of an extra year on Danault’s contract isn’t worth it to Seattle if it’s costing them a roster player.  Plus I’m not even sure if a deal like that could be struck where Montreal signs Danault to an 8 year contract to be picked by Seattle as the rosters are frozen currently.

I'm aware they can wait to sign Danault. I'm also aware that right now, they are allowed to negotiate with him. Do I think it's likely? No. It's possible, if improbable. But we do know for sure that some of Seattle's signings will be UFA/RFA players that will count as their draft pick.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont really know what to think about this.

 

Prices play has gone down over the last few years, but his playoff performance this year was incredible.  Its all but guaranteed that his contract will burn the Habs at some point.  However, can the Habs afford to lose him right now?  After his playoff performance this year he could likely attract UFA to his team.

 

I also finds it very interesting that OV will be a UFA.  I could see him wanting to play with Price.  They have a very strange relationship and its clear that OV has a ton of respect for Price.  i.e. on numerous occasions after OV made a crazy 1 timer on Price that he's acknowledged and shown mad respect.  I'm sure I've seen him go over to Price and fist bump him a couple of times after he's made a huge save. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I also find it very interesting that OV will be a UFA.  I could see him wanting to play with Price.  They have a very strange relationship and its clear that OV has a ton of respect for Price.  i.e. on numerous occasions after OV made a crazy 1 timer on Price that he's acknowledged and shown mad respect.  I'm sure I've seen him go over to Price and fist bump him a couple of times after he's made a huge save. 

 

It would be beyond shocking for Ovi to leave Washington. I'm pretty sure the only reason he hasn't signed is because of the Olympics. He was among the most outspoken about missing 2018 and has been adamant about going in 2022. I think he will sign as soon as the NHL commits to the Olympics. If the NHL backs out, he'll go to the KHL unless there is some way to work into his contract a leave of absence, which I doubt is legal under the CBA. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Danault is UFA, they can sign Danault and still pick a player off of Montreal.  The benefit of an extra year on Danault’s contract isn’t worth it to Seattle if it’s costing them a roster player.  Plus I’m not even sure if a deal like that could be struck where Montreal signs Danault to an 8 year contract to be picked by Seattle as the rosters are frozen currently.

 

Seattle can sign players to 8-year deals in this window.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...