2021 Entry Draft

Trizzak

Oh hey the first round is today. Here's Trevor Timmins' pre-draft press conference:

Habs have 11 picks this draft: 31st, 63rd, 64th, 76th, 87th, 113th, 126th, 127th, 142nd, 191st, and 223rd.

Are they gonna pick 11 players? Almost assuredly not. Get ready for trades, risers, fallers, and overreacting to the potential of players we've never hear of. Let's go!

I am not an expert on this, and this time I have not checked @Commandant 's picks, just to not be to biased.

Here is my imperfect, amateurish, wish list:

Corson Ceulemans(RD) / Aleksi Heimosalmi(RD) if either is available at 31

on the second round, in whatever order:
Zachary Bolduc(LC

Scott Morrow(RD))
Jack Bar(RD)
Ryan Ufko(RD)
Ville Koivunen(LW)

In later round, if they are available:

Benjamin Gaudreau(G)
Brandt Clarke(RD)

Fabian Lysell(RW)

Going with the Newfoundlander (appears was born in GP). Mr. Dean, for the Habs (at pick 30 or 31, whatever they call it).:spamafote:

Zachary Dean

Center -- shoots L
Born Jan 4 2003 -- Grande Prairie, ALTA
[18 yrs. ago]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 176 [183 cm/80 kg]

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2019-20 Gatineau Olympiques QMJHL 57 18 28 46 22 -18          
2020-21 Gatineau Olympiques QMJHL 23 10 10 20 20 -4 4 1 1 2 2

Embed Zachary Dean stats! | View as text

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

In later round, if they are available:

Benjamin Gaudreau(G)
Brandt Clarke(RD)

Fabian Lysell(RW)

Brandt Clarke is a top-10 pick, he won't be available in the later rounds.  Lysell will go ahead of Montreal's first pick as well.

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

Speak for yourself

Actually Trizzak accurately captures the tenor of discussion around the draft year after year. People speak with WAY more certainty than reality warrants, whether for good or ill.

I’m old enough to remember the howls of outrage and derision when the Habs picked Price over sure-fire impact scorer Gilbert Brule, or the excitement when we drafted “the most talented player” in the entire draft in Andrei Kostitsyn and Alex Galchenyuk, LOL.

It’s a fun day, but get back to me in four years or so about the results

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Speak for yourself

LOL

Says the exception to the rule ... you are certainly amongst the elite amongst the general fanbase when it comes to draft knowledge ... your analyses are thorough and thoughtful, greatly appreciated, and beyond what the rest of us can offer.

My best prediction, and likely more true this year than most, is that almost every team after Buffalo will be "amazed that he was still available when we selected", or some variation thereof ... following closely behind (hopefully, because it makes the draft more interesting) may be "when we saw he was till available we had to move up to take him", or variations thereof.

Hopefully it's a fun evening.

Lacking both a first and second round pick, and in cap hell, wonder what Julien Brisebois gets up to tonight?

THOUGHT: would sending them back their second rounder in return for Cirelli and the rights to Alex Barré-Boulet work?  Maybe include the Capitals 3rd rounder if necessary?

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

[...]

Habs 4 years ago:

Ryan Poehling     1st-25, 50% players drafted in this range have a 50% chance of becoming NHLers
Josh Brook          2nd-56, 15% - still a prospect
Joni Ikonen          2nd-58, 15% - bust, injuries
Scott Walford      3rd-68, 10% - bust
Cale Fleury          3rd-87, 10% - still too far down in depth chart even in SEA
X                           4th-118, TRADE: Jordie Benn to Canadiens for Greg Pateryn and this pick (#118-Markus Phillips)
Jarret Tyszka      5th-149, <5%
X                          6th-180, TRADE: Traded Nikita Nesterov to Canadiens for Jonathan Racine (who?!) and this pick (#180-Cole Guttman)

-> Nesterov walked and went to the KHL until he came back with the Flames in 2020
Cayden Primeau  7th-199, <5% and looking like a home run

Edited by alfredoh2009
added Pateryn's last name

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Habs 4 years ago:

Ryan Poehling     1st-25, 50% players drafted in this range have a 50% chance of becoming NHLers
Cale Fleury          3rd-87, 10% - still too far down in depth chart even in SEA
X                           4th-118, TRADE: Jordie Benn to Canadiens for Greg and this pick (#118-Markus Phillips)
X                          6th-180, TRADE: Traded Nikita Nesterov to Canadiens for Jonathan Racine (who?!) and this pick (#180-Cole Guttman)

-> Nesterov walked and went to the KHL until he came back with the Flames in 2020

Ha ha, thanks for the update!

This shows that even 4 years is not enough time to reach definitive conclusions...draft day should be treated as an intriguing curiosity, not much more than that, except in really rare cases.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Actually Trizzak accurately captures the tenor of discussion around the draft year after year. People speak with WAY more certainty than reality warrants, whether for good or ill.

I’m old enough to remember the howls of outrage and derision when the Habs picked Price over sure-fire impact scorer Gilbert Brule, or the excitement when we drafted “the most talented player” in the entire draft in Andrei Kostitsyn and Alex Galchenyuk, LOL.

He accurately captures 95% (or maybe more) of hockey fans around the draft. 

I was just making a joke that I didn't learn their names in the last two weeks.

9 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Habs 4 years ago:

X                           4th-118, TRADE: Jordie Benn to Canadiens for Greg and this pick (#118-Markus Phillips)

Getting 2 players out of a draft is considered a success (a legit player being one who plays 200 NHL games).  The NHL average for this is 1.8 per draft. 

Poehling is likely to get 200 NHL games IMO.  His upside is in debate, but he's an NHL player. 

Brook its unclear, but I have faith in him. 

Fleury could get there.... though it won't be with us, its still a success for the Habs scouts if he does. 

Primeau looks like he will have a good chance to be an NHLer but needs time. 

This has to be seen as a successful draft today (though it is still up in the air and it could be an unsuccessful one if things don't break as predicted).

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hockey is simply entertainment and getting excited or debating about possible ceiling of these high school kids, is just FUN thing to do for myself anyways and assume many other fanatics. We all know 70-80% (or more?) will be busts/not pan out as hoped, but so what.:youpi:

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

Speak for yourself

A Commandant amendment: Get ready to denigrate any team that slightly reaches on a player over 6'2", and lose your shit over someone you had going in the 2nd round but falls to the 4th.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

A Commandant amendment: Get ready to denigrate any team that slightly reaches on a player over 6'2", and lose your shit over someone you had going in the 2nd round but falls to the 4th.

Fair

Though i have already prepared for some picks i know nothing about and some of my guys to fall.  This will be the weirdest draft ever for a variety of reasons

Draft is takin forever to start 

watching the TVA commentators ( French tv) kill time is cringe worthy... they are on mute now

why is this on prime time?