2021 Entry Draft

Trizzak

I find it interesting that Bergevin was actually the guy announcing the name. I don’t remember the last time we saw him do that. It’s been Weber, Timmins, or someone else.

this tells me that very likely, Timmins/Melanby either didn’t feel comfortable making the pick, or it was MBs choice alone so he decided to be the face of the backlash.

Personally, I think MB doesn’t plan of re-signing with the habs when the year is done. Lately he has a give no cares attitude. Expose Price, draft Mailloux are two big gambles. I think we see more high risk moves from MB this year, before he ultimately finishes at years end.

2 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I find it interesting that Bergevin was actually the guy announcing the name. I don’t remember the last time we saw him do that. It’s been Weber, Timmins, or someone else.

this tells me that very likely, Timmins/Melanby either didn’t feel comfortable making the pick, or it was MBs choice alone so he decided to be the face of the backlash.

Personally, I think MB doesn’t plan of re-signing with the habs when the year is done. Lately he has a give no cares attitude. Expose Price, draft Mailloux are two big gambles. I think we see more high risk moves from MB this year, before he ultimately finishes at years end.

Very good point there. As long as his doesn't care attitude moves are better than Holland's caring moves I will grin.

4 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Let's all agree to pick up this discussion in 5 years when the KID has had a chance to prove himself on and off the ice. How about that? 

Yes, let’s.

let’s also not entirely downplay his mistake. We can simultaneously acknowledge that he messed up, while helping the young man become a better person. It’s important not to completely forget it, or no lesson is learned.

I’m not one for cancel culture either, just accountability.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Not his girlfriend. Why was she on her knees in front of this hockey player? How come his judgement as a teen is so important and her's is not?

Not his girlfriend. Why is he having relations of a sexual nature with her? They BOTH showed poor judgement engaging in the act. But to photograph sexual acts and post them on social media without consent is more than poor judgement. It is a crime. And he went out of his way to show off who the picture(s) involved. He put thought into doing that.

Just now, Meller93 said:

Yes, let’s.

let’s also not entirely downplay his mistake. We can simultaneously acknowledge that he messed up, while helping the young man become a better person. It’s important not to completely forget it, or no lesson is learned.

I agree. I wouldn’t have written him off or jumped on drafting him if I were MB. I’d have made my own opinion based on an interview. I’d then assess if this was a boy/man that can turn it around (true remorse, acceptance of consequences etc) or not. 

deal with the reality of the consequences - but then be there to offer a second chance. 

if Mailloux’s actions did reflect an event (or season) of lapse of judgement - then we will be glad MB got him and not some other club. If Mailloux is an A-hole through and through, then yep - wasted pick and a significant part of MB’s legacy. 

gotta figure it came down to the interview MB had with him and his assessment that Logan is going to learn from this and ultimately be an NHLer. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

But to photograph sexual acts and post them on social media without consent is more than poor judgement. It is a crime. And he went out of his way to show off who the picture(s) involved. He put thought into doing that.

Absolutely. 

it’s a crime. 

admittedly, I’m on the side of hoping it was an immature lapse in judgement - but it’s still a crime. 

she agreed to be with him. She perhaps agreed to the pic. But she most definitely didn’t agree for that pic to be shared anywhere beyond between the two of them. 

He should pay for what he did. I’m just not convinced ending his hockey career is the price he must pay. And he could either spend the next year paying for his crime alone or spend the next year paying for his crime with a network of people that have a vested interest in his future success (Habs organization). He may not be deserving of the support he will get from the Habs organization - but he will benefit from it and hopefully the Habs will too. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Not his girlfriend. Why is he having relations of a sexual nature with her? They BOTH showed poor judgement engaging in the act. But to photograph sexual acts and post them on social media without consent is more than poor judgement. It is a crime. And he went out of his way to show off who the picture(s) involved. He put thought into doing that.

Yes, and fortunately for him we are not the judge or jury. Have you never broken a law in your youth? I know I did. Therefore I am never one to pass judgement on others. But hey, if you are an angel, I guess you can pass judgement. Oh wait, that is not what angels do. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Yes, let’s.

5 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

He should pay for what he did. I’m just not convinced ending his hockey career is the price he must pay. And he could either spend the next year paying for his crime alone or spend the next year paying for his crime with a network of people that have a vested interest in his future success (Habs organization). He may not be deserving of the support he will get from the Habs organization - but he will benefit from it and hopefully the Habs will too. 

This is exactly why all 32 teams should have agreed to the request to not draft him.  Let him prove that he won't repeat this kind of behavior and rehab his character. Make him serve out a punishment of going another year going through the draft process. His crime does not warrent never being allowed to play pro hockey, but it should have at least delayed that career. Stopping predatory behavior begins with stopping lower level crimes like this.

• Upvote 2

Yes, and fortunately for him we are not the judge or jury. Have you never broken a law in your youth? I know I did. Therefore I am never one to pass judgement on others. But hey, if you are an angel, I guess you can pass judgement. Oh wait, that is not what angels do. 

I hope you never have to serve on a jury.

• Like 1

I don't see this as predatory but hey that is me. Sorry but not keen on these catch phrases. A sexual predator? Really? Stretching it more than just a little maybe??????   let's not paint it beyond what it was in the name of trying to sound politically correct for the times. He is not Cosby.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

I would go by facts and not public opinion

I don't give a crap about the public opinion. The FACT is that he committed a crime that involved sex. He photographed a sex act without consent and went out of his way to personally identify her in the picture.  This isn't some kid who sent a nude to another person and was shocked that it got shown to friends.

If you let the little things slide, you just enable worse behavior. You shut down behavior like this and you cut down big time on the number of people who develop into sexual predators. You think Cosby jumped right into drugging women? I'm not calling the kid a predator, but he is certainly more likely to become one than someone who knows it is not ok to do what he did.

Edited by Fanpuck33
Removed last paragraph. I forget where I was going with that.

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

I think it's somewhere in the middle.  I don't think this is something where Bergevin overruled everyone and made the pick (if so, we might find out after the draft when Timmins does his usual post-draft scrum).  But knowing the controversy it would cause, he put himself out there to be the one to take the hit.

Never a dull moment.

The thinking here is obvious. The kid appears to be a potentially significant talent, one that, in pure hockey terms, should have gone much earlier in the draft. So MB, picking #31, decided to grab the “value” pick with the highest possible upside.

Part of me likes the chutzpah. And I mean, he *is* a kid…he was gonna get drafted sooner or later.

The problem is the absence of any true expression of remorse. (His request that he not be drafted did amount to a significant public admission of immaturity, in the ballpark but not the same thing). And doesn’t the Habs’ drafting him send completely the wrong message to him at this fragile moment in his development as a person? Basically, it doesn’t matter what you do, you are entitled to hockey success? That is a cataclysmically terrible message to send to a kid.

Maybe he will do the work and in 4-5 years become a cannonading, physically impactful, top-4 force on the Habs’ blueline. But if I were a betting men, I’d bet against this kid.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Maybe he will do the work and in 4-5 years become a cannonading, physically impactful, top-4 force on the Habs’ blueline. But if I were a betting men, I’d bet against this kid.

I will take that bet! How about in 6 years time if he has developed into an NHL player you don't post here for a year? If he doesn't I won't.

2 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

I will take that bet! How about in 6 years time if he has developed into an NHL player you don't post here for a year? If he doesn't I won't.

If people think this forum would be a better place without me on it, then I won’t wait until then, I’ll #### off right now. How does that sound?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If people think this forum would be a better place without me on it, then I won’t wait until then, I’ll #### off right now. How does that sound?

Chill. It was in fun. People are far too touchy. 

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yes welcome to the old boys club. 

It doesn’t matter that you caused such great harm to that young woman. I mean she is just a woman right and you might be a great player. 

We all make mistakes  wink wink 😉 

It was a classless move not a savvy one

A puck bunny, 1 step removed from a band groupie. Please. If he wasn't a star player was she even if this situation? What does that tell you? 

Would there be this much hullabaloo if he went as the first pick in the 2nd round? If the good ‘ol GMs club blacklisted him for the first round, only for the first team in the 2nd round to gleefully pick him?

Analytically, I’m just trying to find where the potential outrage would be minimized. No draft this year? Picked in the third round? Never picked by any team at all, ever? 

Why would, for instance, arbitrarily sentencing him to a one year draft moratorium change anything?

Just now, huzer said:

Would there be this much hullabaloo if he went as the first pick in the 2nd round? If the good ‘ol GMs club blacklisted him for the first round, only for the first team in the 2nd round to gleefully pick him?

Analytically, I’m just trying to find where the potential outrage would be minimized. No draft this year? Picked in the third round? Never picked by any team at all, ever? 

Or if any team other than Montreal had picked him.......

A puck bunny, 1 step removed from a band groupie. Please. If he wasn't a star player was she even if this situation? What does that tell you? 

It tells me that you are either a low effort troll or an unrepentant abuser yourself. 

Either way we have nothing to talk about - ignore

Good luck with your life. 

• Upvote 2

There’s a sort of continuum of misogynist abuse. Auston Matthews terrorizing a woman late at night in a parking garage is on that continuum. This kid’s action is further along that continuum, and if you keep going - not all that much further - you get to rape. 

I’m sure it’s a reflection of a much wider problem in hockey culture, but the Habs had better do serious work with this kid to rehabilitate him as a decent human being. Counselling is a must. I kinda doubt they will do so, because MB himself doesn’t seem to really give a sh*t about it; but I hope I’m wrong.