2021 Entry Draft

Trizzak

37 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

A puck bunny, 1 step removed from a band groupie. Please. If he wasn't a star player was she even if this situation? What does that tell you? 

So groupies and puck bunnies deserve to be mistreated. Got it. Really enlightening thinking. You are incredibly naive if you don't think this kind of thing happens all the time. They have the law on the books for a reason. The only thing him being a "star" hockey player has to do with anything is how public the situation was. 

34 minutes ago, huzer said:

Why would, for instance, arbitrarily sentencing him to a one year draft moratorium change anything?

To me, it would send the message that the league doesn't approve of such behavior. They can't suspend him, but not drafting him forces him to go through the whole process all over again. He goes from getting a good ELC with bonuses to risking having a bad season and tumbling down the draft board. It is a consequence that must be faced.

25 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Aatu Raty is going to be an interesting name to watch for.  He went from a projected top-five pick a couple of years ago to out of the first round entirely.  How far will his drop be?

Poor dlbalr, in here trying to talk hockey in the draft thread. :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Kid made a mistake. A big one yes. Should it ruin his life? Hell no. Bad judgement by a teen does not mean he will be a bad person when he grows up. Everyone who believes that is the truth better look in the friggin mirror. I know I did things as a dumb ass punk kid I would never do now and I am not proud of. A very famous person once said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" Great pick that should prove to be brilliant in a few years. Way to go MB!!! Once again you proved ou IQ to be miles above the avg poster on this forum who feel they are gods crusaders of justice and right in the world. To forgive is divine.  She has forgiven him, he was a dumb kid, so was she or she wouldn't have been on her knees for the pic. Just saying.

1) She has not forgiven him, and said that a three line text message apology was not acceptable to her. 

2) A mistake is missing curfew, or sleeping in and missing practice, or getting too drunk.... this is a crime.  I'm not comfortable calling it a mistake and leaving it at that.

3) No one is saying it has to ruin his entire life.  But man, it shouldn't be that just a few weeks after the conviction, he's back to normal like nothing happened.  The kid even asked not to be drafted cause he knows he needs to earn a second chance and attone for the mistake. 

Second chances are earned, not just given out as freebies.  He hasn't earned his second chance yet.  He hasn't had time.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There’s a sort of continuum of misogynist abuse. Auston Matthews terrorizing a woman late at night in a parking garage is on that continuum. This kid’s action is further along that continuum, and if you keep going - not all that much further - you get to rape. 

I’m sure it’s a reflection of a much wider problem in hockey culture, but the Habs had better do serious work with this kid to rehabilitate him as a decent human being. Counselling is a must. I kinda doubt they will do so, because MB himself doesn’t seem to really give a sh*t about it; but I hope I’m wrong.

If you think it's not a lot further from this crime to rape, then you've lost your sense of proportion. He took and shared a photo without consent during a consensual act, that's miles away from rape.  And not to excuse it in any way, but it surely happens all the freakin time with horned up teens and smartphones.  Apparently the kid has been doing twice a week counselling.    

There is for sure a problem with the old boys club and misogyny in hockey culture, and I doubt that Bergy and his pals would volunteer to lead the vanguard for change. But we also lack the ability to discuss these matters with any maturity and to have an actual path to FORGIVENESS.  I don't expect a 17-18 year old kid to be able to truly express contrition and remorse - hell, most adults wouldn't be able to.  But even if he were able to do that, that wouldn't be good enough for the majority of people angry at this pick.  Even if he passed on the next two drafts and joined the organization as a free agent, those people would still brand him a predator for life and lambast the Habs as misogynists. There really is a sense of 'two wrongs make a right' in these matters. I find the statements made by the organization and Mailloux himself encouraging - no one is downplaying the crime.  

• Like 1

Not his girlfriend. Why was she on her knees in front of this hockey player? How come his judgement as a teen is so important and her's is not?

People are allowed to have consensual sex.

if you take a picture of them, without their knowledge or consent, and distribute it... thats a ####ing crime, you nonce.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

1) She has not forgiven him, and said that a three line text message apology was not acceptable to her. 

2) A mistake is missing curfew, or sleeping in and missing practice, or getting too drunk.... this is a crime.  I'm not comfortable calling it a mistake and leaving it at that.

3) No one is saying it has to ruin his entire life.  But man, it shouldn't be that just a few weeks after the conviction, he's back to normal like nothing happened.  The kid even asked not to be drafted cause he knows he needs to earn a second chance and attone for the mistake. 

Second chances are earned, not just given out as freebies.  He hasn't earned his second chance yet.  He hasn't had time.

What I would like to hear is that the Habs have developed a mandatory program of counselling and life-coaching for him to help him overcome his toxic misogyny (as well as whatever issues ensue from having his crime publicized globally at age 17).

What i fear is that the Habs are just going to throw him back into the pool with no such systems of support, and that, therefore, the real life lesson here is that you can act like human garbage and get rewarded for it.

2 hours ago, revvvrob said:

I agree. I wouldn’t have written him off or jumped on drafting him if I were MB. I’d have made my own opinion based on an interview. I’d then assess if this was a boy/man that can turn it around (true remorse, acceptance of consequences etc) or not. 

deal with the reality of the consequences - but then be there to offer a second chance. 

if Mailloux’s actions did reflect an event (or season) of lapse of judgement - then we will be glad MB got him and not some other club. If Mailloux is an A-hole through and through, then yep - wasted pick and a significant part of MB’s legacy. 

gotta figure it came down to the interview MB had with him and his assessment that Logan is going to learn from this and ultimately be an NHLer. 

Second chances are earned

BY HIS OWN ADMISSION he hasn't had time to earn the second chance yet and wanted to take a year to atone for the behaviour before being drafted. 

9 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

To me, it would send the message that the league doesn't approve of such behavior. They can't suspend him, but not drafting him forces him to go through the whole process all over again. He goes from getting a good ELC with bonuses to risking having a bad season and tumbling down the draft board. It is a consequence that must be faced.

I don’t disagree. I highly doubt, however, he would not have been selected in this draft, regardless of his statement. I just done think that, for example, Tampa Bay selecting him in the 6th round would have led to similar outrage. 

From a personal standpoint from me, I’m all for second chances. However, I’m not supportive of the first phase of that second chance to be immediately very highly rewarded. Generally speaking though, a publicized crime would get a person fired from their job, forcing them to start anew to reestablish trust, not promoted.

2 minutes ago, Neech said:

If you think it's not a lot further from this crime to rape, then you've lost your sense of proportion. He took and shared a photo without consent during a consensual act, that's miles away from rape.  And not to excuse it in any way, but it surely happens all the freakin time with horned up teens and smartphones.  Apparently the kid has been doing twice a week counselling.    

I said it was on a continuum with rape. Which it is. Glad to hear about the counselling, though.

1 hour ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

A puck bunny, 1 step removed from a band groupie. Please. If he wasn't a star player was she even if this situation? What does that tell you? 

Get the #### out of her with this blame the victim shit. 

Sounds the same as saying a girl deserved to be raped cause her skirt was too short.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trizzak said:

If Logan really didn't want to be picked he could have released a statement saying he won't sign an ELC with any team that selects him this year.

Kinda hoping he says that tomorrow.

Since he is not a "jump straight to the NHJL" prospect, not signing an ELC would mean little ... other than forgoing whatever signing bonus is involved ... he would have to not sign by June 1, 2023 and re-enter the draft for it to be true penance.

1 hour ago, huzer said:

Would there be this much hullabaloo if he went as the first pick in the 2nd round? If the good ‘ol GMs club blacklisted him for the first round, only for the first team in the 2nd round to gleefully pick him?

Analytically, I’m just trying to find where the potential outrage would be minimized. No draft this year? Picked in the third round? Never picked by any team at all, ever? 

Why would, for instance, arbitrarily sentencing him to a one year draft moratorium change anything?

1) Yes there would be backlash for anyone who drafted him in any round

2) its not just a one year moratorium.  its one year for him to prove that he learned his lesson, do some community service and stay out of trouble.

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I recognize that this is a polarizing topic and that there are differing viewpoints on this but personal pot-shots remain a no-go.

Just my opinion, but You should be more concerned with victim blaming than with personal pot shots

Saying she deserved it and is a puck bunny or a slut is ####ing gross, and if you allow that on this board, maybe i have to reconsider if i post here.

Disagreements are one thing.... the victim blaming in here from one poster is quite another.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I said it was on a continuum with rape. Which it is. Glad to hear about the counselling, though.

And that it wasn't too far from rape, which it is.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

2) its not just a one year moratorium.  its one year for him to prove that he learned his lesson, do some community service and stay out of trouble.

He can still do that now that he's been drafted.  

Bergy drafting him probably made things harder, not easier for him in the short term, with the media shitstorm and scrutiny from a huge fanbase.  

Just now, Commandant said:

Just my opinion, but You should be more concerned with victim blaming than with personal pot shots

Saying she deserved it and is a puck bunny or a slut is ####ing gross, and if you allow that on this board, maybe i have to reconsider if i post here.

I don't like a lot of the stuff I've seen over the last few pages but I'm trying to let everyone get some viewpoints out whether I agree with them or not.  I disagree with a lot of it and I'm not happy with that particular characterization either.  All I'm asking for is a little restraint in how aggressively some responses are phrased (and this isn't just towards you either, it's a general request).  If you want to condemn those posts, that's perfectly fine. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hey @johnnyhasbeen, I just saw the rest of your posts after the last one.

GO #### YOURSELF

What if it was your daughter? Your sister?

My sentiments exactly!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What I would like to hear is that the Habs have developed a mandatory program of counselling and life-coaching for him to help him overcome his toxic misogyny (as well as whatever issues ensue from having his crime publicized globally at age 17).

This. It wouldn't make the Habs picking it into a good thing. But at least it would show intent (on both his and the Habs' part) to turn his life around. And he should make a public, formal apology. Preferably on TV (or equivalent).

3 hours ago, Meller93 said:

I find it interesting that Bergevin was actually the guy announcing the name. I don’t remember the last time we saw him do that. It’s been Weber, Timmins, or someone else.

this tells me that very likely, Timmins/Melanby either didn’t feel comfortable making the pick, or it was MBs choice alone so he decided to be the face of the backlash...

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I think it's somewhere in the middle.  I don't think this is something where Bergevin overruled everyone and made the pick (if so, we might find out after the draft when Timmins does his usual post-draft scrum).  But knowing the controversy it would cause, he put himself out there to be the one to take the hit.

I totally agree ... MB knew the backlash that was going to erupt and wanted to take responsibility and be the "face" of the selection ... he also met the media mere minutes after the selection to face the questions that everyone obviously would have ... for both of those at least I give him credit ... concerns about the apparent hypocrisy of the choice aside.

• Like 1

I understand most of you were jacking in your ma's basement alone well into your 20's (probably a lot of you still are)but let me tell you a fact. As a teen male, when your dick is in a girl's mouth, anyone expecting you to have your wits about you has no idea what that is like. his showing the pic to his friends after was a huge mistake. The puck bunny was happy in the moment....

Dude! 

Logan Mailloux faced the press this morning ... considering he is barely 18 I thought he fared well ... its importantly, I felt he was not just repeating/reading scripted responses provided to him ... although he obviously would have been coached about what needed to be said ... on another note, I think he must speak some French as the statement at the beginning his delivery didn't feel like something that was just written out phonetically 

https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1418942253012246532?s=20

11 minutes ago, Neech said:

And that it wasn't too far from rape, which it is.

It's a slippery slope. The first few times, it's sharing a non-consensual picture. Then it's a video. Then it's not taking no for answer because you have to have something to show your buddies. The fact remains he did something sexual with a girl and not everything about it was consensual.

• Upvote 1