2021 Entry Draft

Trizzak

Timmins' end of draft presser.

Highlights:

Really big on Joshua Roy. Habs are excited to help him develop his tools to be an NHLer. They think his big issue is just conditioning.

On Joe Vrebetic: "Big goalie on a bad team."

The success of Harvey-Pinard led to the decision to draft Xavier Simoneau.

Riley Kidney: Slow start, really stepped up in the playoffs. 200 ft game. Young player they think will mature nicely.

Long (long long) awkward pause when asked if why Logan Mailloux didn't think he should be drafted did Timmins think the opposite. 

Pronman draft grade for Habs, from the athletic;

Montreal Canadiens

I will not grade the Canadiens’ draft class due to my involvement reporting on Logan Mailloux’s conviction in Sweden. On Day 2, I liked a lot of Montreal’s selections. I can see Riley Kidney and Dmitri Kostenko play NHL games. I think Oliver Kapanen, Joshua Roy and Xavier Simoneau all have real chances to do so, as well. This draft could realistically produce one or two useful NHL players.

Timmins mentioned the controversial kid was 6'5", did he misspeak (i know not all important, just curious)?

1 31 31   Logan Mailloux D CAN 6' 3" 212 GOJHL LONDON
  2 31 63   Riley Kidney C CAN 5' 11" 168 QMJHL Acadie-Bathurst
  2 32 64   Oliver Kapanen C SWE 6' 1" 174 FINLAND KALPA
  3 23 87   Dmitri Kostenko D RUS 6' 1" 187 RUSSIA SPARTAK
  4 17 113   William Trudeau D CAN 6' 0" 189 QMJHL CHARLOTTETOWN
  5 14 142   Daniil Sobolev D RUS 6' 0" 210 RUSSIA-JR. SPARTAK 2
  5 22 150   Joshua Roy R CAN 6' 0" 190 QMJHL SHERBROOKE
  6 31 191   Xavier Simoneau C CAN 5' 6" 169 QMJHL Drummondville
  7 22 214   Joe Vrbetic G CAN 6' 6" 190 OHL NORTH BAY

He may be 6'5. 

I dont know if the 6'3 was updated since he was in London.

Usually NHL CS goes around measuring top prospects and we also have the combine.  But not sure how much of that happened with COVID

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Great article 👍 and holy hell that must have taken a lot of hours to write!

Agree on both Detroit and Columbus. The Jackets are killing it so far this offseason in general. 

I bet they dump Domi next

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Great article 👍 and holy hell that must have taken a lot of hours to write!

Agree on both Detroit and Columbus. The Jackets are killing it so far this offseason in general. 

I bet they dump Domi next

It took about 6 hours to write start to finish.... I made it shorter than previous years, which took 10+ hours. 

It was fueled by Red Bull. 

Just finished an Ottawa Radio Hit. CFRA 580 AM

Now i go sleep. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

You do good work and maybe you will make a career of it. 

I remember following Friedman when he was on that website only and look at him now

I'm pretty happy with my career.  I'm a lawyer.  So I don't think I'll pursue much more. 

That said, I co-own LWOS, and i started it looking to maybe get a case of beer a month out of the thoughts i previously wrote on hfboards and such for free. Its become a lot more than that, as last year i made from the site, around the same as what someone makes from a 40 hour per week Minimum wage job. Not bad for a side hustle. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

enjoyed that read, great job.

B for the Habs is fair, and the F for Mailloux is harsh but deserved by MB.

Thanks for being so active in this forum and give us a behind the scene to all the great work you do on LWOS.

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Carolina drafted 13 kids in this draft, seems like...alot.

And they are clearly not superstitious. 

• Like 1

If this is true it is both disappointing (how did he allow himself to be overweight) and hopefully (maybe he learned his lesson)

1 hour ago, DON said:

Carolina drafted 13 kids in this draft, seems like...alot.

The draft was 7 hours cause nearly every pick they took a time out to field phone calls to trade down for more picks.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The draft was 7 hours cause nearly every pick they took a time out to field phone calls to trade down for more picks.

Maybe on Day 2 the NHL should take an idea from speed chess (for those who have never heard of it) ...  teams should be allowed a fixed amount of time in total on the clock and once their clock expires they either forfeit their remaining pick(s) or (to be nicer) must give their selection within 15 seconds of the clock starting or forfeit that pick ... also ... time outs should be limited (2-3 max), but the team the drafting team is trading with can use one of their timeouts if they so choose (which would put pressure on them to complete the trade as fans would know they were trying to trade for the pick).

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

And their last 4 or 5 picks are just crazy long shots to begin with, i assume.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Maybe on Day 2 the NHL should take an idea from speed chess (for those who have never heard of it) ...  teams should be allowed a fixed amount of time in total on the clock and once their clock expires they either forfeit their remaining pick(s) or (to be nicer) must give their selection within 15 seconds of the clock starting or forfeit that pick ... also ... time outs should be limited (2-3 max), but the team the drafting team is trading with can use one of their timeouts if they so choose (which would put pressure on them to complete the trade as fans would know they were trying to trade for the pick).

I like what the NFL does. If you don't get your pick in on time, the next team(s) can rush in and make their pick. I remember one year the Vikings were taking offers on their pick, but a trade with the Ravens did not get submitted on time, so the next team in line (who had been one of the teams trying to get the Vikings pick) rushed up and got the guy they wanted for free. I believe another team rushed in their pick in before the Vikings finally submitted their pick, as well.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If this is true it is both disappointing (how did he allow himself to be overweight) and hopefully (maybe he learned his lesson)

Pandemic diet?

Hey, the flower and lemieux used to chew on cigarettes and do 'OK' on just god given talent and this kid was #1 pick in the Q, likely was seen and treated as the golden boy and maybe just finding out now, he aint that good.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

25 pounds is a lot of weight to lose for a guy under 200 lbs. It does show commitment. Seems like a good gamble for the 5th round.