Report: Habs to sign Chris Wideman (spent last season in KHL)

Commandant

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hamilton is highly likely to go to Jersey.

Which means Savard (according to reports) is more likely coming here. I am fine with that, depends on the dollars and term. He is obviously no Shea Weber but the cap hit should reflect that. 

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

DeAngelo is going to Carolina

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hamilton is highly likely to go to Jersey.

If so, Barrie is the best option available to MB for the top 4

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

I like Barrie. He'd look great beside Chiarot 

I love puck-moving defencemen - even the occasionally “high risk” ones - and agree. We need a legit top-4 puckmover. 

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I love puck-moving defencemen - even the occasionally “high risk” ones - and agree. We need a legit top-4 puckmover. 

High-risk is fine, but simply poor defensively is what he is, or so 'they' say, i dont know his game at all? 

On 7/26/2021 at 6:56 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Funny thing about Wideman, he had two very productive seasons stats-wise and then completely dropped off the map. Did the “scandal” (really a non-scandal IMHO) sour teams on him, or did he just benefit from huge ice time on an atrocious Ottawa team? 

Anyhow, at age 31 I doubt we’ll see a return to 46-point production. I’m sure MB is not silly enough to see him as a heavy-duty fix for the top-6. 

Not sure if we are looking at the same thing here but Wideman had 46 PIM in his prime, not 46 points.

7 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Hakanpaa anybody?

He didn't even make Dlbar UFA dman list... I say he's a darkhorse Dman

That's a miss on my end.  I thought he was a lefty so I held him off the list (I was skewing it towards RH d-men since that's the side of need).  I just double-checked and he's a righty.  He didn't crack our Top 50 on our list at PHR; I think I was the only one that had him inside the top 50 in voting.  Definitely under the radar.

20 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Hakanpaa anybody?

He didn't even make Dlbar UFA dman list... I say he's a darkhorse Dman

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's a miss on my end.  I thought he was a lefty so I held him off the list (I was skewing it towards RH d-men since that's the side of need).  I just double-checked and he's a righty.  He didn't crack our Top 50 on our list at PHR; I think I was the only one that had him inside the top 50 in voting.  Definitely under the radar.

And he is FINNISH  ...  looks like a solid option for the 3rd pairing ... and shouldn't break the bank ... maybe not even the "bury" threshold.

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

And he is FINNISH  ...  looks like a solid option for the 3rd pairing ... and shouldn't break the bank ... maybe not even the "bury" threshold.

My question is how many physical non puck-movers can the Habs have?  They already have Chiarot and Edmundson and appear to be adding one in Savard.  Hakanpaa is another one of those guys.  Even if the physicality worked in the playoffs, can they afford dressing four of those types of players during the regular season?

38 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

My question is how many physical non puck-movers can the Habs have?  They already have Chiarot and Edmundson and appear to be adding one in Savard.  Hakanpaa is another one of those guys.  Even if the physicality worked in the playoffs, can they afford dressing four of those types of players during the regular season?

This is radical ... but I expect Chiarot's value is as high as it has ever been ... if they could find a puck-moving, top 4 LHD then I would look at moving Ben.

25 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I feel like Chiarot is an underrated skater for a big man... 

Edmundson Petry

Chiarot  ?????

Romanov Hakanpaa 

Kulak Wideman**

Norlinder Brook

**Is he signed  ??

That would be a bruiser on each line but everyone is fairly mobile still...

The problem is with DeAngelo and Hamilton likely going elsewhere. There is no option in the UFA market to replace Weber.

Hopefully Romanov really really takes a step forward this season and can cement a place in the top 4...  cause I just don't see a top 4 option in the UFA market at this point. At least not long term 

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Not sure if we are looking at the same thing here but Wideman had 46 PIM in his prime, not 46 points.

Ahahahaha, you are right! Sheesh, time to get my eyes checked. Funny that dlbalr corrected me on his minutes played but not the points totals…

His numbers in the AHL and KHL recently have been quite strong, though, so who knows, maybe he can crack 20 points if given a regular shift.