2021 Free Agent Frenzy

Trizzak

First buyout period is done, and some RFAs went unqualified, but some UFAs will sign before the frenzy starts at noon tomorrow. Discuss it all here. (Any Habs signings will get their own thread, of course.)

Top six needs upgrade more than worrying about bottom six or to 'fully' replace Weber. Use Weber caproom on a top six scorer hopefully...unless can drag Hamilton to Quebec, or trade for similar top pairing guy.

Getzlaf, like Perry, is a fourth liner now over an 82 game season.  I'm not sure he's a Danault replacement.

For the right price I'd take him as that line can be strong in playoff hockey, like Perry-Staal-Armia was, but I can't see it in regular season hockey. 

I think we need a centre who can put up points.... Wallmark, Granlund, Pius Suter, Christian Dvorak (via trade) something like that needs to happen. 

• Like 1

Why have 2 members commented about Perry leaving? I figured he'd be back for sure.

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Getzlaf, like Perry, is a fourth liner now over an 82 game season.  I'm not sure he's a Danault replacement.

For the right price I'd take him as that line can be strong in playoff hockey, like Perry-Staal-Armia was, but I can't see it in regular season hockey. 

I think we need a centre who can put up points.... Wallmark, Granlund, Pius Suter, Christian Dvorak (via trade) something like that needs to happen. 

I totally agree that in a 82 game season theres no way Getzlaf could replace Danault.  Even in the playoffs he wouldnt be able to replace Danault.  However, even though he's older now he can still do numerous things that Danault cannot.  ex:  better scorer - especially on PP, hitter, and fight.  If Perry can get him here for a decent price it would make sense to sign him. 

I still say the Habs need another F that is 6'2"+ 225+ lbs, that can score some goals, can hit hard and is capable of throwing a solid punch.   Thay have 4 large dmen but they're all jokes at fighting.  Anderson is the only 1 that can throw a solid punch, but he's too valuable for offence, that left Perry, who was also too valuable to the offence.

40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Krejci is a UFA center that can be our 3rd line checking center to replace Danault. 

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

Krejci is a UFA center that can be our 3rd line checking center to replace Danault. 

Krejci is still a top-six player (he's not much of a checker at all) but he has said he'll re-sign with Boston, go back to the Czech Republic, or retire.  It doesn't look like he has any intention of playing for another NHL team.

5 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Thanks to dlbalr for some good work there! 

I really want Hamilton, but suspect some sort of “platoon” is the likelier outcome. I see the Savard rumours as a signal of that…

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I really like the idea of Suter, who is still young. But, assuming he's still available come tomorrow, what would he cost? What about Granlund?

More better reasonable options to improve scoring up front isnt there, then trying to replace Weber and likely would be more bang for the buck? 

I was hoping for an elite score to... but that's a pipe dream cause I'm no Hoffman fan... Getzlaf would be a solid 4th line C pick up to pressure Evans and Poehling to perform.

Anderson Suzuki Caufield

Toffoli KK Gallagher

Byron Evans Lehks

Perry GETZLAF* Armia

Drouin** Poehling Ylonen

* 4th line wishlist

** status unclear 

11 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Right-handed D market drying up fast.

Barrie re-signed 3 years, 4.5M per.  I would have liked to pick him up at that price or even a little bit more, but I guess he's no fool: less pressure in EDM and guaranteed stats working the PP with McDavid and Draisaitl.

10 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Barrie re-signed 3 years, 4.5M per.  I would have liked to pick him up at that price or even a little bit more, but I guess he's no fool: less pressure in EDM and guaranteed stats working the PP with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Agree. Oh well.

My RHD UFA list is short, now that Barrie has re-signed with EDM (My preferences highlignted):

(#1) D. Hamilton at no more that $7.5M/yr

(#2) D. Savard at no more than $4.5/yr

C. Ceci at no more than $2.5/yr (overpayment if desperate)

If that fails, then I would resign one of:

J. Merrill  at no more than $1.5/yr (the cheapest option)

(#3) E. Gustafsson at no more than $2.5M/yr

Edited by alfredoh2009

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

My RHD UFA list is short, now that Barrie has re-signed with EDM (My preferences highlignted):

(#1) D. Hamilton at no more that $7.5M/yr

(#2) D. Savard at no more than $4.5/yr

C. Ceci at no more than $2.5/yr (overpayment if desperate)

If that fails, then I would resign one of:

J. Merrill  at no more than $1.5/yr (the cheapest option)

(#3) E. Gustafsson at no more than $2.5M/yr

Priority has to be hamilton. Or trade for a stud D. Savard is nothing more than a depth signing. Gustafson should be a non-starter for anything more than an AHL role.

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... If that fails ...

I would go the trade route ...