2021 Free Agent Frenzy

Trizzak

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Presumably Bergevin was only offering one year.

The shit taxes and shit weather in Quebec vs. Florida probably didn't help either.

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Wow, thats crazy, and sucks for Habs fans for sure. 

If its for a low amount, which it likely is than MB royally screwed up not offering him a 2 yr deal.  i.e. 750k x 2 = 1.5 mil, he was worth that for 1 season so who really cares if he doesnt work out and needs to be bought out the 2nd year.  It would still be totally worth the money. 

Not sure what Perry is thinking, but I guess he figures he has the best chance of playing in 3 straight Stanley Cup Finals witht he Bolts.  Perry obviously cant beat them, so he's joined them, but its highly unlikely the Bolts will three-peat. 

8 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

The shit taxes and shit weather in Quebec vs. Florida probably didn't help either.

I've never understood the draw of Florida's weather. The humidity is miserable. You start sweating as soon as you go outside.

Just now, Fanpuck33 said:

I've never understood the draw of Florida's weather. The humidity is miserable. You start sweating as soon as you go outside.

Sunny humid misery is better than cold/drab grey misery for months on end.

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

If its for a low amount, which it likely is than MB royally screwed up not offering him a 2 yr deal.  i.e. 750k x 2 = 1.5 mil, he was worth that for 1 season so who really cares if he doesnt work out and needs to be bought out the 2nd year.  It would still be totally worth the money. 

Not sure what Perry is thinking, but I guess he figures he has the best chance of playing in 3 straight Stanley Cup Finals witht he Bolts.  Perry obviously cant beat them, so he's joined them, but its highly unlikely the Bolts will three-peat. 

There's also the possibility that Perry preferred Tampa on a two-year deal, going to a team that should be a contender for both of those seasons.  They've lost some players but most of the core is still there so they'll be in the mix.  He could have left money on the table to do so like pretty much every other UFA that signed there yesterday for peanuts.  I suspect this will be for a cap hit under a million and that's something I'm pretty sure the Habs offered as well.

I’ll never understand the appeal of ANYTHING about Florida, but that’s another story.

Super disappointing news about Perry. It’s as if we are systematically stripping away all the key part from the run to the Finals…but from Perry’s perspective, he will be in a fantastic position to win another Cup, so I can’t blame him, that’s for sure 

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I imagine he sees more of an opportunity to get in the lineup in Tampa. In Montreal he was behind Lehkonen and Armia on the 4th line, and would split any time he would get with Byron. (As things currently stand, at least.) Tampa just lost their entire 3rd line, so there are openings on their depth lines. There's also the fact of how good Tampa is.

9 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Pending the details on Perry's contract, I must point out that the habs are in a tight cap situation next season ... 14 players signed for just over $69 million ... $12.25M in cap space with 8-9 spots to fill ... hopefully a big chuck will go to Suzuki, in a long-term deal ... also Evans and Romanov will be RFAs to be signed

Guess Pageau makes more sense now ... ***NOT*** saying he is a direct replacement for Perry ... different players, different histories ... but MB likely knew the habs had a need for a veteran 12/13/14 forward.

5 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Disagree 1000%. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess ... I HATE really high temperatures ... body doesn't handle it well ... have been in 100+ degree Fahrenheit / 100% humidity days in both Florida and Washington DC ... it very quickly felt like I was carrying a sack of potatoes around ... but I know people who have similar reactions to cold and/or hate snow&ice ... every locale has it weather/environmental pluses and minuses.

13 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I imagine he sees more of an opportunity to get in the lineup in Tampa. In Montreal he was behind Lehkonen and Armia on the 4th line, and would split any time he would get with Byron. (As things currently stand, at least.) Tampa just lost their entire 3rd line, so there are openings on their depth lines. There's also the fact of how good Tampa is.

And their 4th line C

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Guess Pageau makes more sense now ... ***NOT*** saying he is a direct replacement for Perry ... different players, different histories ... but MB likely knew the habs had a need for a veteran 12/13/14 forward.

Pageau or Paquette? PAGEAU would be nice as well

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Pending the details on Perry's contract, I must point out that the habs are in a tight cap situation next season ... 14 players signed for just over $69 million ... $12.25M in cap space with 8-9 spots to fill ... hopefully a big chuck will go to Suzuki, in a long-term deal ... also Evans and Romanov will be RFAs to be signed

Thats totally true, and I assumed Perry was gone when the Habs signed Paquete.  I said in another post that the situation reminded me of when Kovalev left.  i.e he took to long to make a decision so Gainey had to sign other guys while they were still available rather than wait for Kovy to make up is mind.   I also figured another possibility was that a trade could be in the works to make room for Perry, but apparently not. 

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Different strokes for different folks I guess ... I HATE really high temperatures ... body doesn't handle it well ... have been in 100+ degree Fahrenheit / 100% humidity days in both Florida and Washington DC ... it very quickly felt like I was carrying a sack of potatoes around ... but I know people who have similar reactions to cold and/or hate snow&ice ... every locale has it weather/environmental pluses and minuses.

I'm with you. I have the blinds shut almost all summer trying to help out the AC not have to work as hard and missing seeing out the windows while the sun is out. And as I always say, you can always put more clothes on, but you can only take so much off. Hence why I keep the thermostat at 62°F all winter, but can't take 78°F in the summer as I get older. :lol: And as a pasty white guy, I appreciate glum weather, as it means I won't burn in 10 minutes.

33 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Apparently 2x $1.25M.

I didn't think we would be able to get him for the league minimum again.

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Apparently 2x $1.25M.

Thats a good point, but that is still low enough to buy him out of the 2nd year if the 1st didnt work out.  He'd likely work out both years anyway, or he could possibly be traded at the deadline in the 2nd year.  Either way, giving him a 2 yr contract is fairly low risk that MB should have done it. 

22 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Pageau or Paquette? PAGEAU would be nice as well

image.png          SUPID FINGERS

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Apparently 2x $1.25M.

And with the Florida tax advantage taken into account the Habs would have had to be around $1.475M to match take home pay ... 

20 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I'm with you. I have the blinds shut almost all summer trying to help out the AC not have to work as hard and missing seeing out the windows while the sun is out. And as I always say, you can always put more clothes on, but you can only take so much off. Hence why I keep the thermostat at 62°F all winter, but can't take 78°F in the summer as I get older. :lol: And as a pasty white guy, I appreciate glum weather, as it means I won't burn in 10 minutes.

I say the same regarding putting more clothes on when hot, but nothing you can do if too hot.  I'm definitely similar, so I'm sure that you would absolutely hate living in Ontario.  Your state has similar climate and temps, but you'd have way better air quality.  i.e. theres a lot of big industry on the south side of the Great Lakes, and those shores are the most Northern part of those states.  With the way the wind currents flow people living in those states dont really have to inhale the pollution because it all ends up over Ontario. 

Very sad to see Corey go. Perhaps he just felt that with Weber gone it would be difficult to replicate what happened last year and he wants to win as his window for winning is closing. 

Good luck Corey!  You did a great  job for Les Canadiens. Hopefully your experience, dedication and will to win rubbed off and will stick with some of the younger guys.