2021 Free Agent Frenzy

Trizzak

50 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Apparently 2x $1.25M.

I didn't think we would be able to get him for the league minimum again.

Frank Seravalli claims its $1mil x 2 yr.

Perry got a 33% raise in a flat cap environment.  🤣

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Very sad to see Corey go. Perhaps he just felt that with Weber gone it would be difficult to replicate what happened last year and he wants to win as his window for winning is closing. 

Good luck Corey!  You did a great  job for Les Canadiens. Hopefully your experience, dedication and will to win rubbed off and will stick with some of the younger guys. 

I agree, but it doesnt really sound like he wanted to move on, it seems more like MB didnt want him back bad enough or he'd still be with the Habs. 

6 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Frank Seravalli claims its $1mil x 2 yr.

Perry got a 33% raise in a flat cap environment.  🤣

I agree, but it doesnt really sound like he wanted to move on, it seems more like MB didnt want him back bad enough or he'd still be with the Habs. 

Perhaps.  That extra year on a contract could have made a huge difference. I think there was little doubt he was going to sign with a team he thought had a great chance at winning. 

Sucks to see Perrry go. He was a warrior!

I can understand him going to Tampa. He figures its his best chance to get to the SC finals for a 3rd year in a row!

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Guess Pageau makes more sense now ... ***NOT*** saying he is a direct replacement for Perry ... different players, different histories ... but MB likely knew the habs had a need for a veteran 12/13/14 forward.

Would rather have had Perry for two years. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

And with the Florida tax advantage taken into account the Habs would have had to be around $1.475M to match take home pay ... 

hey, I said right after the finals offer him $1.5m. He is worth it. That is how much you pay for the veteran leader depth players. What I have a problem with is paying $5m to a Alzner, Danault, or like Calgary did with Coleman.

41 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Very sad to see Corey go. Perhaps he just felt that with Weber gone it would be difficult to replicate what happened last year and he wants to win as his window for winning is closing. 

Good luck Corey!  You did a great  job for Les Canadiens. Hopefully your experience, dedication and will to win rubbed off and will stick with some of the younger guys. 

Extra year, plus with the change in Division and back to conference format, we are in tough to just make the playoffs. 

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Perhaps.  That extra year on a contract could have made a huge difference. I think there was little doubt he was going to sign with a team he thought had a great chance at winning. 

An extra year likely would because if you were a player and had a 1 year contract do you buy a condo or house in that city, or rent, or what?  Similarly, if you have a wife and kids, do you move them there for 7-8 mths, and if if not you dont get to see them as much.  From that perspective it makes sense for a player to want more than 1 year. 

1 minute ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

An extra year likely would because if you were a player and had a 1 year contract do you buy a condo or house in that city, or rent, or what?  Similarly, if you have a wife and kids, do you move them there for 7-8 mths, and if if not you dont get to see them as much.  From that perspective it makes sense for a player to want more than 1 year. 

If they could give FOUR friggin years to Hoffman, they should have been willing to give two to Perry.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If they could give FOUR friggin years to Hoffman, they should have been willing to give two to Perry.

Hoffman only got 3 afaik.   My point is that we cant really blame Perry for wanting more than 1 year.  It's MB fault for not offering Perry the 2 years he wanted. 

1 minute ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hoffman only got 3 afaik.   My point is that we cant really blame Perry for wanting more than 1 year.  It's MB fault for not offering him Perry the 2 years he wanted. 

Still one too many. I’d be more hesitant about giving more than one or two years to a guy that his last two teams wanted to trade the year he was signed.

42 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Different player for a different role ... Perry was not going to fill the role they have in mind for Hoffman ... nor was anyone else on the roster (i.e., pushing Armia or Byron up the lineup) ... MB is restructuring the roster based on Weber's absence and the inability to find/get a perfect replacement for him.

Bottom line, I would have loved to have him back but wouldn't have given him the second year ... but it is fine that we disagree ... otherwise this would be a boring board

57 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Should we take a serious look at Chara on a 1 year deal?

That would be something...

Hes 44

They were in talks with him last fall.  I don't think it'll happen but I wouldn't be shocked if it did.

Well if MB is done on the back end till training camp you would have to think they are really gonna ask Romanov to take a step forward moving the puck after depriving him of TOI in the playoffs. Also, Norlinder could get a real look to make the team as one of the few puck movers in the system along with Brook in the 9 spot.

Edmundson Petry

Chiarot Wideman

Romanov Savard*

Norlinder Kulak

Brook 

26 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Well if MB is done on the back end till training camp you would have to think they are really gonna ask Romanov to take a step forward moving the puck after depriving him of TOI in the playoffs. Also, Norlinder could get a real look to make the team as one of the few puck movers in the system along with Brook in the 9 spot.

Edmundson Petry

Chiarot Wideman

Romanov Savard*

Norlinder Kulak

Brook 

Do we really see Wideman in the top-4?? Flipping him and Savard’s spots would be more in line with the Habs’ approach last season (which I wasn’t crazy about).

Even assuming no progression from Romanov, they do have four viable top-4 defencemen. But looking at the log jam up front and the thin gruel on the back end, I will be surprised if MB doesn’t bring in another blueliner somehow, although odds are it’ll be just another bottom-end guy. I just don’t see that depth chart as sufficient over an 82-game schedule. Norlinder or Brook are question marks and we know the coaches think little of Kulak.

Tough to see Perry go. Would have loved to have him for the next two years.

Its definitely not my ideal depth chart either but, it is our actual depth chart right now...

I put Wideman there as I think those combos might end up working best with a puck mover paired with a bruiser... I also see Chiarot and Romanov playing more equal, balanced minutes with Weber not boosting his partners TOI.

Savard showed down the stretch and in the playoffs that he can insulate a young defender in TB and help him really take the next step. Hopefully odds are he can really be a steady partner to Romanov and help him flourish to. Wideman could help move the puck partnering Chiarot and no need to explain what Edmundson and Petry can do together.

Of course I'm hoping we can trade for an upgrade on Wideman For sure... but it's what we got at the momment.

Would be a dream if Romanov Brook or Norlinder could magically be top 4 worthy as soon as next year... then all our problems would just go away

Sami Vatanen is still unsigned. Would he be a good fit as a 7/8 D ? He shoots right and seems to be able to play 3rd pair minutes

45 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Its definitely not my ideal depth chart either but, it is our actual depth chart right now...

I put Wideman there as I think those combos might end up working best with a puck mover paired with a bruiser... I also see Chiarot and Romanov playing more equal, balanced minutes with Weber not boosting his partners TOI.

Savard showed down the stretch and in the playoffs that he can insulate a young defender in TB and help him really take the next step. Hopefully odds are he can really be a steady partner to Romanov and help him flourish to. Wideman could help move the puck partnering Chiarot and no need to explain what Edmundson and Petry can do together.

Of course I'm hoping we can trade for an upgrade on Wideman For sure... but it's what we got at the momment.

Would be a dream if Romanov Brook or Norlinder could magically be top 4 worthy as soon as next year... then all our problems would just go away

Agree on the 2nd/3rd pairings hopefully playing more balanced minutes (and even preventing Petry's minutes from ballooning) provided that they can get another RHD capable of doing so.

A top 4 youngster would be great ... likely Romanov has the best chance at the moment ... but the problems would not go away ... there would still be a left/ right balance issue ... from what I've seen, I would be most comfortable with Edmundson switching sides ... but that disrupts the Petry-Edmundson pairing, which Habs will depend on more this season ... I still see the need for another experienced RHD capable of allowing the balanced use of bottom two the pairings.

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Sami Vatanen is still unsigned. Would he be a good fit as a 7/8 D ? He shoots right and seems to be able to play 3rd pair minutes

His PP TOI disappeared last year (dropping from his normal 2-3 minutes to 14 seconds) ... which concerns me as an indication of a serious drop in his game as NJD (his primary team) was 28th in PP% last season ... if they wouldn't use him something was wrong   ....   also, his 5-on-5 TOI was the lowest of his career (14:49) ... discounting Leskinen's one game, 14:49 would have been 7th on the Habs in 5-on-5 TOI ... IMO the Habs need another RHD capable of 16-17 minutes 5-on-5.

55 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I dont think we need any more depth defenseman. At this point a package that will move some of our wing depth and some picks and or prospects for a legit defender would be the way moving forward.

I disagree, if any of the regular Ds gets hurt, the Habs do not have the depth to replace them

Ouellet-Wideman do not inspire lots of confidence

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I disagree, if any of the regular Ds gets hurt, the Habs do not have the depth to replace them

Wonder how Brook & Norlinder will fare in training camp/pre-season. Would Norlinder accept starting season in Laval, or more likely NHL or back to Europe for another year and he wont be a #7 or 8 d-man?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not certain Vatanen does anymore either.