2021 Free Agent Frenzy

Trizzak

11 minutes ago, DON said:

Wonder how Brook & Norlinder will fare in training camp/pre-season. Would Norlinder accept starting season in Laval, or more likely NHL or back to Europe for another year and he wont be a #7 or 8 d-man?

Bergevin said Norlinder will be given an opportunity to make the team...

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I disagree, if any of the regular Ds gets hurt, the Habs do not have the depth to replace them

Ouellet-Wideman do not inspire lots of confidence

And if we sign a top D then Wideman/ kulak/ Norlinder/ Brook would be fighting for the 7/8 spots... we don't need more 5/6 D men... we need a #2

Norlinder is not an option yet. He’ll stay in Sweden 

Brook is not ready yet and need to play lots of minutes

Wideman is a 7/8 D alright and Kulak-Romanov is the third pair

so, yes, I think we need another depth LD better than Ouellet 

38 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Kulak-Romanov as the 3rd pairing likely leaves Savard-Chiarot playing more than they should and Petry-Edmundson even more ... IMO the Habs need a 2nd pairing quality defenceman so the 2nd/3rd pairings can eat more minutes ... assignments depending on the team the habs are playing

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Bergevin said Norlinder will be given an opportunity to make the team...

Right. It's the Habs or back to Sweden, though, he will not be in the AHL this year.

25 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Right. It's the Habs or back to Sweden, though, he will not be in the AHL this year.

Correct.  He's still under contract out there and since he wasn't a first-round pick, they have to abide by the contract if he doesn't crack the NHL roster.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Correct.  He's still under contract out there and since he wasn't a first-round pick, they have to abide by the contract if he doesn't crack the NHL roster.

If Norlinder started the season with the Habs but wasn't getting enough icetime to justify his being kept (i.e., not supporting his development),could he go back?   Does the "10th game" factor into it the same as it does a junior player in terms of it counting as using up a season under this ELC?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ouellet isn't even a consideration at this point...

You are likely the only person who believes we are not in need of a top dman particularly a #2 to anchor the 2nd pair but more depth Dman.

If a top d is traded for(nobody on the UFA market left) it will push Savard onto the 3rd to insulate Romanov much like he did with Sergachev down the stretch and playoffs

Also to say Norlinder is not an option? Have you watched him play a single hockey game that rules him out? Because Bergevin said publicly as early as yesterday that he will be given an opportunity to make this team. And he might have an inside track as his attributes are exactly what's missing I  this lineup on D.

Hes not 18. He's 21 (only 3 months younger then Romanov) and same age as Suzuki and others

With that said  I'm not saying he's making the team....

I'm saying we need a top dman to push Savard into the bottom pair and have Kulak Wideman Norlinder and Brook battle for the 7/8 spot. Not sure how anyone doesn't agree with this

Edmun Petry

Chiarot ??

Romanov Savard

Kulak Wideman

Norlinder Brook

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If Norlinder started the season with the Habs but wasn't getting enough icetime to justify his being kept (i.e., not supporting his development),could he go back?   Does the "10th game" factor into it the same as it does a junior player in terms of it counting as using up a season under this ELC?

If he was to make the team and then be sent down, he'd be sent back to Sweden.  He's too old for the slide rule to apply; the first year of his deal burns in 21-22 no matter what.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

... You are likely the only person who believes we are not in need of a top dman particularly a #2 to anchor the 2nd pair but more depth Dman.

If a top d is traded for(nobody on the UFA market left) it will push Savard onto the 3rd to insulate Romanov much like he did with Sergachev down the stretch and playoffs

I'm saying we need a top dman to push Savard into the bottom pair and have Kulak Wideman Norlinder and Brook battle for the 7/8 spot. Not sure how anyone doesn't agree with this ...

I completely agree with the need you identify ... but this is the Internet ... there are people who disagree that the sun rises in the east.

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

You are likely the only person who believes we are not in need of a top dman particularly a #2 to anchor the 2nd pair but more depth Dman.

If a top d is traded for(nobody on the UFA market left) it will push Savard onto the 3rd to insulate Romanov much like he did with Sergachev down the stretch and playoffs.

I would have liked to have added a puck moving defenseman, but to me the state of the D depends largely on Romanov's development. If he comes to camp motivated by the playoff benching, it is entirely possible that he becomes the top 4 D we need and Chiarot or Edmunson is pushed down to being a great 3rd pairing guy instead of Savard. As long as one of Chiarot, Edmunson, or Savard is on the 3rd pairing we should be in good shape.

24 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I would have liked to have added a puck moving defenseman, but to me the state of the D depends largely on Romanov's development. If he comes to camp motivated by the playoff benching, it is entirely possible that he becomes the top 4 D we need and Chiarot or Edmunson is pushed down to being a great 3rd pairing guy instead of Savard. As long as one of Chiarot, Edmunson, or Savard is on the 3rd pairing we should be in good shape.

I agree with all of that.  Near the end of the regular season Romanov was looking at lot better and might have been able to start playing in the top 4.  

I'm conflicted with Norlinder because I want to see him do well, but if surprises everybody and makes the team this year it could mess things up.  It would probably be better for the Habs if he spends 1 more year in Sweden.