Habs Re-Sign Joel Armia, 4 years, 13.6 million total, 3.4 million AAV

Commandant

I like this signing, he probably could have got more on the open market. Big, strong, excellent skater, always seems to be on the cusp of breaking through and scoring 25 goals but seems to get slowed down by injuries when he gets things going. Glad he is back. 

2 minutes ago, Neech said:

Not a bad deal, I knew he'd be getting a raise after his strong playoffs.  I predict he pots 20 goals at least one of the next four years.

I dont know if cost is too high or not, but like him coming back.

I would predict he will get 40-45g in next 4 years (assume will miss a few games to injury in there somewhere, the way he crashes and bangs, similar to Anderson). 

Way too much for a bottom-six forward.  These are the contracts that often come back to bite teams, overpaying by that much for depth players is what takes away the ability to add another impact piece.

• Upvote 1

I really like Armia, but We needed to sign him for around $2.5m, or at least under $3m (but only if we can move the Byron contract).  Certainly can’t be giving out term and overpaying on salary. We
can’t spend this much on bottom 6 players - especially when they are closer to 4th liners. We already overpay average dmen. Need to sign more pressing need players (top pairing dmen), before handing out contracts like this to bottom end guys. 

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Evolving Wild projected him at 3.6 AAV.

I think its a fine contract given what he does.

I find a lot of their projections to be on the high side, making a lot of actual contracts look like bargains by comparison.

Same cap as Byron. I like Armia, and I think most would've expected more than his previous contract ($2.6M). Overall, interesting given Armia's comments at the end of the season seemed to lean towards him testing the market.

That said, he needs to be better and bring more than Byron. I know Lehkonen isn't UFA, so how will his contract compare to Armia's?

14 minutes ago, DON said:

I dont know if cost is too high or not, but like him coming back.

I would predict he will get 40-45g in next 4 years (assume will miss a few games to injury in there somewhere, the way he crashes and bangs, similar to Anderson). 

He had 48 over the last four years, I'll say he hits that in 3 years barring major injury or shortened seasons. 

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Way too much for a bottom-six forward.  These are the contracts that often come back to bite teams, overpaying by that much for depth players is what takes away the ability to add another impact piece.

He strikes me as entering his prime at the end of his 20's, as power forwards often do. 

Same contract as Byron, size is the major difference which makes him moveable. 

6 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

Maybe we're lining up the Finns before we try to tempt Pettersson with an offer sheet.

With the size of MBs Cojones lately, I expect an offer sheet lol

Just now, Neech said:

He strikes me as entering his prime at the end of his 20's, as power forwards often do.

Same contract as Byron, size is the major difference which makes him moveable. 

The size potentially makes him easier to move but prime or not, he's a fourth liner on this team.  He's behind Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli, and Caufield and even with one of them moving to the off-wing, he'd still be fourth on the depth chart at RW.  In this cap environment, they can't afford to be paying two fourth liners $3.4M apiece.  In an ideal world, the entire fourth line would cost $3.4M total.

A fourth line of Byron-Paquette-Armia (based on the rumblings of a Paquette signing) will be good defensively but it's not going to score much and on a team that badly needs offensive upgrades, the premium they're paying for that fourth line is going to be costly in the form of not being able to afford an offensive upgrade somewhere else.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, huzer said:

Same cap as Byron. I like Armia, and I think most would've expected more than his previous contract ($2.6M). Overall, interesting given Armia's comments at the end of the season seemed to lean towards him testing the market.

That said, he needs to be better and bring more than Byron. I know Lehkonen isn't UFA, so how will his contract compare to Armia's?

Lets be honest, he tested the market.

Yes, legally teams can't talk to free agents til tomorrow, but we all know tampering is happening.  Anyone signing today knows exactly what will be offered tomorrow. 

22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I tend to agree ... 5 of the top 9 wing spots are filled ... as it is, one of Armia or Drouin end up on the 4th line ... perhaps both if the Habs were to acquire a 3rd one winger who is a more consistent scorer ... even one of them on the 4th line is a cap issue IMO

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The size potentially makes him easier to move but prime or not, he's a fourth liner on this team.  He's behind Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli, and Caufield and even with one of them moving to the off-wing, he'd still be fourth on the depth chart at RW.  In this cap environment, they can't afford to be paying two fourth liners $3.4M apiece.  In an ideal world, the entire fourth line would cost $3.4M total.

A fourth line of Byron-Paquette-Armia (based on the rumblings of a Paquette signing) will be good defensively but it's not going to score much and on a team that badly needs offensive upgrades, the premium they're paying for that fourth line is going to be costly in the form of not being able to afford an offensive upgrade somewhere else.

100% agree.

2 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

Whoops.  Well,they are all Scandinavians.

Democrats and Republicans are all Americans, but ...

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Lets be honest, he tested the market.

Yes, legally teams can't talk to free agents til tomorrow, but we all know tampering is happening.  Anyone signing today knows exactly what will be offered tomorrow. 

I guess testing was the wrong word. I figured he'd be gone. His comments about remaining a Canadien seemed ambiguous. I took that as some level of dissatisfaction with the team.

16 minutes ago, huzer said:

I guess testing was the wrong word. I figured he'd be gone. His comments about remaining a Canadien seemed ambiguous. I took that as some level of dissatisfaction with the team.

A lot of Habs reporters mentioned that Armia loves Montreal and he would ideally be staying, but he was also probably very aware this was his only year to really cash out. 

I hoped he would be back for $3 mill or less, but someone was gonna be dumb and give him a contract that started with a 4.