Habs sign David Savard

3 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Breaking Savard

4 x3.5M 

At least that cap hit is better than expected. Certainly better than Armia. But they need a top D. Maybe move Chiarot to get the cap room. I don’t like the idea of Edmondson, Chiarot, and Savard on the same lineup.

1 minute ago, zumpano21 said:

That’s a steal. Now let’s get some scoring pop.

I wonder if MB saves the Weber money for a mid-season acquisition. Thinking we can be in the playoff discussion with this D (Savard replacing Weber) and then adding someone to get the Habs across the finish line into the playoffs where anything can happen. 

That is a very good salary cap hit, Savard should Help get the Habs to the playoffs. At the trade deadline we need to get players that get the Habs through them

So, can someone provide a qualitative description of how Savard compares to our existing "Clydesdale" D corps (Petry, Chiarot, Edmundson -- and the version of Weber that we had this past season)? What can he do better, what will be his weak points?

Just now, tomh009 said:

So, can someone provide a qualitative description of how Savard compares to our existing "Clydesdale" D corps (Petry, Chiarot, Edmundson -- and the version of Weber that we had this past season)? What can he do better, what will be his weak points?

He‘ll b better in yr 3 and 4 than what Weber would have been, and he should be healthier than Weber was and is. Otherwise it’s a downgrade.

Great signing on its own terms. We’re not getting a top d-man, clearly.

I’m not sure if there are any viable mid-range puck-movers still out there, but if there are we should try to grab one

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m not sure if there are any viable mid-range puck-movers still out there, but if there are we should try to grab one

Im holding on to a fools hope that Hamilton will sign with us. He is not confirmed to NJ yet right? 😁

My understanding is that he is basically Chiarot 2.0 although he has a decent hard point shot. Likes to block shots and kill penalties. He should fit right into the Habs’ blue line philosophy. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think we need to trade for one. 

1 minute ago, JoeLassister said:

I wish we'd go after a legit top 4 puck moving dman instead of a redondant shutdown guy.

How do you know that Bergevin didn't try that?

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think we need to trade for one. 

Bergevin indicated that's the route he's going to be looking for as he didn't like the limited options for players in that role in free agency.  (I'm assuming Hamilton said no to their pitch.)

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Bergevin indicated that's the route he's going to be looking for as he didn't like the limited options for players in that role in free agency.  (I'm assuming Hamilton said no to their pitch.)

I couldn’t see him coming here after his stints in other big hockey markets where  he was constantly getting roasted by the media.

I hope we are going to trade for a legit impact puck mover and not another over the hill reclamation experiment or Gustafson type pylon.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

How do you know that Bergevin didn't try that?

I have my doubt.
the closest he went in terms of adding a puck moving dman since Markov left is Gustaffson II. 
(Sergachev was already drafted AND he still traded him)

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is a very reasonable cap hit, less than I thought it would be. MB has been prudent spending money today. 

Cap hit is good - I was afraid it would be $1.5m higher. The issue is the redundancy on our D is absurd.

1 minute ago, JoeLassister said:

I have my doubt.
the closest he went in terms of adding a puck moving dman since Markov left is Gustaffson II. 
(Sergachev was already drafted AND he still traded him)

Your forgetting the washed up Streit.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Cap hit is good - I was afraid it would be $1.5m higher. The issue is the redundancy on our D is absurd.

I don’t think the Habs see it as redundancy. They went to the finals with a top four that had exactly one offensive defenceman. I suspect they believe they have hit on a ‘playoff’ formula - suffocating D - and that Savard will fit right into that formula.

That said, I do agree that the Habs need an upgrade on Kulak. Even if vintage Petry represents sufficient offensive push from the back end - and it doesn’t- Petry is old. Who knows when his game will drop off? And as things stand right now, such a drop off would be catastrophic.

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I am very happy with the cap hit, I thought he would get a minimum of 4 on the open market.  He may seem redundant but likely the best option this year.  We will likely never know if Doug Hamilton ever considered Montreal as an option or if MB was just unwilling to pay the price.  I don't think Tyson Barrie was ever an option as he definitely wanted to stay in Edmonton. 

I can’t really find myself using Dougie Hamilton and David Savard in the same sentence when I see 0 G 0 A and -8 with Tampa last season. I know, he’ll bring more than points, but still. This is a meh for me.

Decent signing if we make the playoffs, but it doesn't help us be more than a bubble team in the Atlantic. What's our transition game going to look like? We're relying on Chris Wideman to be a top-4 solution right now, because I don't see any of our 3.5 guys sharing a pairing.