Habs sign Cedric Paquette

I was looking for things from before Paquette was signed ...

THW:

Out of the three options presented today, Paquette is what the Maple Leafs crave the most. He’s physical, he’ll stick up for teammates, he’s versatile to play both the wing and center, and he’s a Stanley Cup champion with loads of postseason experience. The Quebec-native is going to be a top priority for a team like the Montreal Canadiens, so there’s a chance we could see a bidding war take place, which would be bad news for the cash-strapped Maple Leafs.

If he’s willing to accept less money for longer term, perhaps Dubas would consider offering a three-year deal to the 27-year-old and keep his annual salary around $2 million. Last season, Paquette made $1.65 million and recorded eight points in 47 games, split between the Ottawa Senators and Carolina Hurricanes.

The long-time Tampa Bay Lightning hits absolutely everybody, which would help the Leafs’ need for some more killer instinct. He’s been amongst the league leaders in hits since his arrival into the NHL, and even has a season where he finished with 269. To give you an idea, Hyman led the Maple Leafs’ forward group with 69 hits last season, which basically translates to roughly 100 hits in an 82-game season. Only 169 more to go.

$1M is a much more reasonable price than $1.65M, but I don't think he'll be a top-six centre, unless I'm badly mistaken.

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

THW:

$1M is a much more reasonable price than $1.65M, but I don't think he'll be a top-six centre, unless I'm badly mistaken.

He's insurance for the 4th line if Poehling has a bad camp. Otherwise he's the 13th forward.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

THW:

Going from this, he will absolutely fit the Habs’ identity. Would not surprise me at all if he ends up taking a regular shift.