Habs sign Mike Hoffman

TheDriveFor25

And there go Armia and Byron and Lehkonen to the 4th line ... if Hoffman signs (personally I like the added offence) there has to be a trade of some sort in the works.

Hoffman is durable (203 of 220 games the last three seasons) ... and scores (33g and 33a per 82 games the last three seasons) ... I like it ... there has to be a grade a brewing (IMO)

3 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Byron out methinks

Ideally ... IMO ... but there will be minimal return and it likely costs something to move him out

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

And there go Armia and Byron and Lehkonen to the 4th line ... if Hoffman signs (personally I like the added offence) there has to be a trade of some sort in the works.

Not really we lost danault which means Evans moves to 4th line center opens up a wing spot which Hoffman now fills. 

4 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Not really we lost danault which means Evans moves to 4th line center opens up a wing spot which Hoffman now fills. 

If Evans is the 4C who is the 3C?  IMO Habs still need someone there ... 

Gallagher, Drouin, Anderson, Hoffman, Toffoli and Caufield are the wings on the top 3 lines ... Byron, Lehkonen (if e-signed) and Armia fighting for 4th line wing spots, with Paquette and Poehling(?) ... If Joel doesn't have NTC protection he might be the easiest to trade ... all this also impacts whether there is room for Perry should he decide to re-sign

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If Evans is the 4C who is the 3C?  IMO Habs still need someone there ... 

Gallagher, Drouin, Anderson, Hoffman, Toffoli and Caufield are the wings on the top 3 lines ... Byron, Lehkonen (if e-signed) and Armia fighting for 4th line wing spots, with Paquette and Poehling(?) ... If Joel doesn't have NTC protection he might be the easiest to trade ... all this also impacts whether there is room for Perry should he decide to re-sign

They need to bring in a vet to fill that 3rd line center spot.  Other wise Evans is 3rd line center and leave that 4th line spot open to see if Poehling can make the team. 

I’m a bit leery of his age, but a reasonable signing who should improve the overall offence and PP. I like it.

EDIT: can’t we just move Byron to the minors? Better that than surrender an asset as a sweetener.

1 minute ago, ch_nl said:

No, no, no!

First drafting Logan Mailloux and then sign Mike Hoffman.

I don’t like this at all.

Hoffman himself was not implicated in any of the cyberbullying, and his girlfriend/wife was never proven of any wrongdoing. 

2 minutes ago, huzer said:

Hoffman himself was not implicated in any of the cyberbullying, and his girlfriend/wife was never proven of any wrongdoing. 

Besides which, Mailloux will be nowhere near the roster for most of Hoffman’s contract. Even if these are ‘problem’ players they will overlap very little…there is no connection between these two acquisitions, or at least no connection that will matter in hockey terms.

Funny that MB just added two ‘scandalous’ former Senators. Now that is a weird coincidence.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Quick write-up on this signing: http://www.habsworld.net/2021/07/habs-to-sign-mike-hoffman/

In related news, this is six signings in one day.  Can we spread these out a little?  We have two-plus more months to fill...

No doubt that the Free Agent signing day is a big make work project for you. 

However, MB needs to act quickly and sign the best guys he can get and try to get them at reasonable rates before they talk to numerous teams.  MB has accomplished that with this singing.  Hoffman is cheaper and an offensive upgrade to Tatar. 

I'm sorta surprised to hear about this signing, but only because there was a rumour that this would happen and it was long before any teams could talk to upcoming UFA's. 

55 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

EDIT: can’t we just move Byron to the minors? Better that than surrender an asset as a sweetener.

It's certainly an option and they should be pretty confident that he'd clear.  I do, however, think there's a trade coming at some point either for an extra centre or flipping the winger for a defenceman.

Just now, dlbalr said:

It's certainly an option and they should be pretty confident that he'd clear.  I do, however, think there's a trade coming at some point either for an extra centre or flipping the winger for a defenceman.

100%

39 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Besides which, Mailloux will be nowhere near the roster for most of Hoffman’s contract. Even if these are ‘problem’ players they will overlap very little…there is no connection between these two acquisitions, or at least no connection that will matter in hockey terms.

Funny that MB just added two ‘scandalous’ former Senators. Now that is a weird coincidence.

True, but to me, this drags the identity of the club I love into something I have some issues with.

I don't like the fact that Logan was convicted and then awarded with being drafted by Le Glorioux. And I don't like how the whole Hoffman-Karlsson incident turned out. Not players or characters I wish to have a CH on their chest. I saw what was written by his girlfriend and I saw how Hoffman chased Karlsson when they met after the split.

Adding two of them, is more than I can handle right now. Even if they are great hockey players, and everybody deserves second chances, I just wish the Canadiens had handle this with more concerns towards the couple that lost a child and towards a girl that had her body unwillingly showcased online.

I wish my beloved Habs to be that organization.

• dlbalr changed the title to Habs sign Mike Hoffman

Finally, a winger other than Cole that moves his feet on the PP! Exactly what we needed. I hope Perry signs still, as depth. That is what he signed as last time but won the roster spot. 

7 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Finally, a winger other than Cole that moves his feet on the PP! Exactly what we needed. I hope Perry signs still, as depth. That is what he signed as last time but won the roster spot. 

If Perry signs he'll play as well he should. I still hope he does and can for another fearsome 4th line with Armia and hopefully Poehling rises to the occasion 

23 minutes ago, ch_nl said:

And I don't like how the whole Hoffman-Karlsson incident turned out. Not players or characters I wish to have a CH on their chest. I saw what was written by his girlfriend and I saw how Hoffman chased Karlsson when they met after the split.

The impression I got was that Hoffman's fiancee was somewhat unbalanced, and went off the deep end from a seemingly minor event. But there was not a single thing that I saw implicating Hoffman in this -- unless you were expecting him to publicly denounce his fiancee.