Habs sign Mike Hoffman

TheDriveFor25

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... EDIT: can’t we just move Byron to the minors? Better that than surrender an asset as a sweetener.

It is important to consider that demoting Byron opens a roster sport but would only bury $1.125M (NHL minimum salary of $750K plus $375K) ... $2.275 would remain on the cap.

47 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's certainly an option and they should be pretty confident that he'd clear.  I do, however, think there's a trade coming at some point either for an extra centre or flipping the winger for a defenceman.

I agree that trade is undoubtedly coming ... when is the question ... lots of interesting pieces to play with.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Funny that MB just added two ‘scandalous’ former Senators. Now that is a weird coincidence.

It definitely is strange.  However, the Hoffman gf incident is unlikely to ever repeat itself, but Wideman's scandal involved him bad mouthing the Sens PP coach.  The Habs PP is a weakness so it seems potentially possible for him to do that again with the Habs. 

38 minutes ago, ch_nl said:

True, but to me, this drags the identity of the club I love into something I have some issues with.

I don't like the fact that Logan was convicted and then awarded with being drafted by Le Glorioux. And I don't like how the whole Hoffman-Karlsson incident turned out. Not players or characters I wish to have a CH on their chest. I saw what was written by his girlfriend and I saw how Hoffman chased Karlsson when they met after the split.

Adding two of them, is more than I can handle right now. Even if they are great hockey players, and everybody deserves second chances, I just wish the Canadiens had handle this with more concerns towards the couple that lost a child and towards a girl that had her body unwillingly showcased online.

I wish my beloved Habs to be that organization.

Here we go again....

Like the Habs have ever been anything righteous.. especially in Mtl where the partying has been second to nowhere in nhl cities!! 

Are we still talking Hoffmans past? Seriously?

Especially with this forums inability to have civil discourse on non hockey talk about the off ice lives of men In the NHL.

its all cancel this virtue that victim this. This world is heading for ruin if we keep it up....

Logans  victim had her body unwillingly showcased? Show me where that is stated anywhere but for somebody making it up to make it sound even worse then it already is.

Enough with the virtue signaling please everyone... you don't need to impress anybody here but with your hockey knowledgE

If it's to much to handle take a breAK from the habs and hockey....

Can we stick to hockey talk? This thread is about the Hoffman signing!!!

I come here for habs and hockey talk... all that other stuff belongs on twitter

But I will add Molson statement today was 6 days to late and so embarrassing and Trudeaus was even more so. 

BACK TO HOCKEY... 

I have mixed feeling about this signing as I thought maybe they could have got him a little cheaper but I have no idea how much interest there was in him. He has talent, no doubt. Time will tell whether he is a good fit or not. The term is fine. Who really knows that went on with that stuff in Ottawa. 

A trade has to be in the cards... especially if you consider poehling gets a fair shake at making the club...

Does Perry and MB have a handshake in place to sign once the dust settles?

We still need another Dman I believe to...

Don't want to hijack this thread, but since the Mailloux thread is locked, I cannot resist wanting to register my distaste at Molson's cowardly message, which simultaneously seeks to stand by the kid ("Logan is a young man who committed a serious transgression. He is genuinely remorseful about the pain he has caused. He is committed to becoming a better person and we will work with him through this process") and throw him under the bus ("We gave Logan a second chance but in doing so, we failed to properly assess the impact of our decision on the victim and on anyone who has suffered in similar circumstances... As the year progresses, we will reassess Logan's readiness to be part of our organization"). As with l'affair Cunneyworth, Molson starts speaking double-dutch about decisions he signed off on the minute there is serious PR blowback. The decision to keep him away from rookie camp is also dubious. If those camps serve a developmental purpose, then the kid should be there. If they don't, then what they hell are they for anyway?

What the Habs absolutely cannot do is be half-in and half-out with Mailloux. Yet that is precisely what Molson is signalling.

In Hoffman's case, his fiance was clearly mentally ill at the time. I hope she got the help she needed. But whether she did or didn't, not hiring a legit goal-scorer because his wife is a nutter doesn't seem like a smart hockey move to me.

27 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Here we go again....

Like the Habs have ever been anything righteous.. especially in Mtl where the partying has been second to nowhere in nhl cities!! 

Are we still talking Hoffmans past? Seriously?

Especially with this forums inability to have civil discourse on non hockey talk about the off ice lives of men In the NHL.

its all cancel this virtue that victim this. This world is heading for ruin if we keep it up....

Logans  victim had her body unwillingly showcased? Show me where that is stated anywhere but for somebody making it up to make it sound even worse then it already is.

Enough with the virtue signaling please everyone... you don't need to impress anybody here but with your hockey knowledgE

If it's to much to handle take a breAK from the habs and hockey....

Can we stick to hockey talk? This thread is about the Hoffman signing!!!

I come here for habs and hockey talk... all that other stuff belongs on twitter

But I will add Molson statement today was 6 days to late and so embarrassing and Trudeaus was even more so. 

BACK TO HOCKEY... 

...and yet Geoff Molson felt the need to apologize for the Mailloux pick today.

Whatever your thoughts are about either player, the truth is both bring baggage (whether you feel that is deserved or not doesn't matter - it is a fact).  The Habs don't need the baggage.  It is a distraction for everything else.

53 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Don't want to hijack this thread, but since the Mailloux thread is locked, I cannot resist wanting to register my distaste at Molson's cowardly message, which simultaneously seeks to stand by the kid ("Logan is a young man who committed a serious transgression. He is genuinely remorseful about the pain he has caused. He is committed to becoming a better person and we will work with him through this process") and throw him under the bus ("We gave Logan a second chance but in doing so, we failed to properly assess the impact of our decision on the victim and on anyone who has suffered in similar circumstances... As the year progresses, we will reassess Logan's readiness to be part of our organization"). As with l'affair Cunneyworth, Molson starts speaking double-dutch about decisions he signed off on the minute there is serious PR blowback. The decision to keep him away from rookie camp is also dubious. If those camps serve a developmental purpose, then the kid should be there. If they don't, then what they hell are they for anyway?

What the Habs absolutely cannot do is be half-in and half-out with Mailloux. Yet that is precisely what Molson is signalling.

In Hoffman's case, his fiance was clearly mentally ill at the time. I hope she got the help she needed. But whether she did or didn't, not hiring a legit goal-scorer because his wife is a nutter doesn't seem like a smart hockey move to me.

Molson playing both sides to save face... what an embarrassment

TRUDEAU to me was even worse. The PM piping in on about minor for political gain is disgusting of a PM. We the general public have made this 100x worse for the unnamed woman. 

• Like 1

So Hoffman lines up with Kk?

Anderson Suzuki Caufield

Hoffman KK Toffoli

Byron Evans Gallagher

Lehks Paquette Armia

Drouin Poehling Perry*

Ylonen

I believe there's a side deal in place for Perry after the dust settles....

A trade has to be coming soon

Let's hope Suzuki and Evans continue their progress and more importantly, that KK finds some consistency. As pototoe head says. Those 3 young centre's are very important to a successful year this year. 

Ah good ole 2nd chances.   Speaking of which,  I cant help but reminisce about the time back in 92-93 when I was at McDonalds and some huge drunk guy was freaking out over something silly like getting the wrong order.  The guy proceeded to pick up the cash register, rip the cord right off it and then baseball throw it right threw the front window.  Then he wrecked the counter top and numerous other things in the restaurant too.  Then he beat the crap out of 2 other fairly large guys and numerous of his buddies were fighting other people as well. It was a helluva donnybrook and the Police were called to deal with the hooligans and numerous cruisers showed up and they had to call for backup.  The largest of them that threw the register and started it all was so big that he managed to beat up 3 of the Cops before their backup arrived and they were finally able to subdue him.  I'm fairly certain that throughout his entire NHL career that came after that incident that was the only McDonalds vandalized and Cops that Chris Pronger ever fought. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Anderson Suzuki Caufield

Hoffman KK Toffoli

Byron Evans Gallagher

Drouin Paquette Armia

Lehks Poehling Perry*

Ylonen

KK has to finally show he's a top-6er and not another Eller. 

Drouin will definitely not be beside Paquette, might as well not have him in the line up in that case.

I do like the look of our PP - Suzuki Caufield Hoffman Drouin can wire the puck

14 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Ah good ole 2nd chances.   Speaking of which,  I cant help but reminisce about the time back in 92-93 when I was at McDonalds and some huge drunk guy was freaking out over something silly like getting the wrong order.  The guy proceeded to pick up the cash register, rip the cord right off it and then baseball throw it right threw the front window.  Then he wrecked the counter top and numerous other things in the restaurant too.  Then he beat the crap out of 2 other fairly large guys and numerous of his buddies were fighting other people as well. It was a helluva donnybrook and the Police were called to deal with the hooligans and numerous cruisers showed up and they had to call for backup.  The largest of them that threw the register and started it all was so big that he managed to beat up 3 of the Cops before their backup arrived and they were finally able to subdue him.  I'm fairly certain that throughout his entire NHL career that came after that incident that was the only McDonalds vandalized and Cops that Chris Pronger ever fought. 

Hella story, my friend! 😬

10 minutes ago, Neech said:

Drouin will definitely not be beside Paquette, might as well not have him in the line up in that case.

Hence why I believe a trade is a necessity 

14 minutes ago, Neech said:

Yes. But Ducharme also needs to give him the opportunity, with consistent linemates that he can work with. Constantly blending the lines is particularly tough on young players, and Kotkaniemi got that worse than Suzuki did.

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes. But Ducharme also needs to give him the opportunity, with consistent linemates that he can work with. Constantly blending the lines is particularly tough on young players, and Kotkaniemi got that worse than Suzuki did.

No offence, but I heard the same kind of excuses being trotted out - endlessly - for Eller. 

It’s up to KK to man up, not for Ducharme to babysit him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Molson playing both sides to save face... what an embarrassment

TRUDEAU to me was even worse. The PM piping in on about minor for political gain is disgusting of a PM. We the general public have made this 100x worse for the unnamed woman. 

Don’t know how we have made it 100x worse for the unnamed woman??? 
if anything a few douchebags that think about doing something like this may think twice. 

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No offence, but I heard the same kind of excuses being trotted out - endlessly - for Eller. 

It’s up to KK to man up, not for Ducharme to babysit him.

Maybe Eller could have done better, too? 😲

I think it really depends on our development philosophy, do we want to help him by giving him the environment that can help him step up his game, or do we just want to throw him in the deep end to see whether he'll sink or swim?

Either way, I don't know what his ultimate level will be. Maybe he will be something like Eller, or maybe something more like Kopitar. Or something in between. Personally, I would like enable young players to develop their potential, and unfortunately we basically skipped the Laval option with Kotkaniemi.

Anderson Suzuki Caufield

Hoffman KK Toffoli

Byron Evans Gallagher

Drouin Paquette Armia

Lehks Poehling Perry*

Ylonen

Ya, it seems like a trade is coming.  I dont get why they signed Paquette or Hoffman really.   Sure, they could use Hoffman on the PP, but they sorta had enough players.   MB is probably trying to trade Drouin, Byron, and/or Kulak for a dman. 

37 minutes ago, Neech said:

Doesn’t help when you don’t have a D that can quickly get the puck up the ice, rather than have the forwards circle back into our own end to get the puck up the ice. You need a transition play other than hoping you can lob it out to someone fir the breakaway pass.

37 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Suzuki is so far ahead of KK its not even funny... Suzy has outplayed literally every C he went against in the last 2 playoff seasosns...

With that said KK literally just turned 21  not even 2 months ago. I wouldn't worry to much yet. His frame is filling out and when he's no longer pushed around you'll see a new KK I'm sure...

Anderson Suzuki Caufield

Hoffman KK Toffoli

Byron Evans Gallagher

Drouin Paquette Armia

Lehks Poehling Perry*

Ylonen

So, are we saying that Caufield has surpassed Gallagher as the top RW?

Disn’t see the memo

Memo: Alfredoh2009

99.9% caufield will be lined up next Suzuki to start the season... 

The only question is will it be Toffoli or Anderson on the other side of them.

If who your lined up with at C determine who's the #1RW then yes I guess its Caufield

2 hours ago, Neech said:

Your right I moved him to the 5th line with Perry who is still to sign and Poehling who needs to earn a spot in the line up