Habs sign Mathieu Perreault

dlbalr

I gather it was him or Bozak. Don’t know much about Perreault; he’s obviously a bottom-6 guy, but I’m encouraged that he was a lineup regular in the ‘Peg, suggesting that he is more than a #5C. His atrocious FO% last season does not sound too uplifting, however; but at least he’s French. 

Clearly, just as MB seems to be going for a “platoon” on the blueline, his response to the departure of Danault seems to be to pile up FWs and C. Quantity is no substitute for quality, though. Looks to me like we are still going to stand or fall based on Evans/KK after Suzuki skates off the ice.

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I gather it was him or Bozak. Don’t know much about Perreault; he’s obviously a bottom-6 guy, but I’m encouraged that he was a lineup regular in the ‘Peg, suggesting that he is more than a #5C. His atrocious FO% last season does not sound too uplifting, however; but at least he’s French. 

Clearly, just as MB seems to be going for a “platoon” on the blueline, his response to the departure of Danault seems to be to pile up FWs and C. Quantity is no substitute for quality, though. Looks to me like we are still going to stand or fall based on Evans/KK after Suzuki skates off the ice.

How does he differ from Pacquette though?  We sign the same player again and again. We now have Pacquette, Perrault, Byron, Lekhonan, Armia, Poehling all competing for the 4th line- if  Evans pans out. If Evans doesn’t pan out, do we still have a legit 2dd line centre. If KK isn’t ready we are up shit creek.

Is MB just acquiring Quebec players or something? 

I don't know what he's thinking, but at the moment I'm sorta concerned with Phoeling because this is probably the year that he really needs to start playing in the NHL.   I dont really see the point in picking up marginal 4th liners that will likely steal his spot.  Players that are cheap and above marginal like Perry would make sense get and keep Phoeling in the AHL another year.  However, some of these other guys are possibly lesser than Phoeling so it really makes no sense to pay them $250K more and risk ruining yet another 1st rnd pick. 

24 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Is MB just acquiring Quebec players or something? 

I don't know what he's thinking, but at the moment I'm sorta concerned with Phoeling because this is probably the year that he really needs to start playing in the NHL.   I dont really see the point in picking up marginal 4th liners that will likely steal his spot.  Players that are cheap and above marginal like Perry would make sense get and keep Phoeling in the AHL another year.  However, some of these other guys are possibly lesser than Phoeling so it really makes no sense to pay them $250K more and risk ruining yet another 1st rnd pick. 

To save face after the draft lol, needs to keep The media happy. 

I would of liked to sign Cizikas for that 4th line center spot.  Put Poehling for 3rd line center.

Toffoli  / Suzuki  / Caufield 

Hoffman  / Kotkaniemi  / Gallagher 

Armia   / Poehling  / Anderson 

Lehkonen  /  Cizikas  / Evans 

Try and trade Byron 

48 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Bozak does have a decent FO% so he would have been a decent choice but he did make $4.25mil last year.  Also, I didnt realize he's age, he's 35 so he's much older than I thought, so he might not have much interest from other teams.  It is possible that the Habs could have signed him for 2-2.5mil and not picked up Paquette and Perrault.  

8 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

To save face after the draft lol, needs to keep the media quite lol 

I would of liked to sign Cizikas for that 4th line center spot.  Put Poehling for 3rd line center.

Try and trade Byron 

You think Phoeling could be the 3C though?  Bozak would have been able to fill that role fairly well, and for way cheaper than Danault.

It does seem like there is a trade in the works somewhere. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Perreault hasn't been a centre for years though; that atrocious faceoff percentage came on a total of 13 draws taken in 56 games.  This is a Perry replacement more than a Danault (or Staal) replacement.  Bozak still makes a lot of sense for this roster.

The deal is now official too, by the way.

• dlbalr changed the title to Habs sign Mathieu Perreault
32 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Perreault hasn't been a centre for years though; that atrocious faceoff percentage came on a total of 13 draws taken in 56 games.  This is a Perry replacement more than a Danault (or Staal) replacement.  Bozak still makes a lot of sense for this roster.

The deal is now official too, by the way.

Shows what I know, my info is out of date! Thanks, Brian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Bozak does have a decent FO% so he would have been a decent choice but he did make $4.25mil last year.  Also, I didnt realize he's age, he's 35 so he's much older than I thought, so he might not have much interest from other teams.  It is possible that the Habs could have signed him for 2-2.5mil and not picked up Paquette and Perrault.  

You think Phoeling could be the 3C though?  Bozak would have been able to fill that role fairly well, and for way cheaper than Danault.

It does seem like there is a trade in the works somewhere. 

I think if we're rolling 4 lines Poehling could put up 25-40pts on the 3rd line as center.  Lets see what he can do if it doesn't work out go out and trade for a center upgrade. 

I like this signing, Perrault is a good bottom-6 player at a reasonable price. Wouldn't be surprised if it is MB's last UFA signing and the last move before the end of training camp when teams need to lock their NHL roster

it is good to see the number of Quebequers on the team around the core we have. The role players on the 1993 team helped get the Habs over the hump.

It is even better to see the competition for the bottom-6. Paquette said he would "go through walls" for this team

Poehling and Caufield are still waiver eligible, and although they should be on the line-up next season, now they have to earn a spot during training camp :)

depth chart is something like:

LW:

Toffoli

Hoffman

Drouin

Byron

RW:

Gallagher

Anderson

Caufield (I know some have him higher)

Armia

C :

Suzuki

Kotkaniemi

Perrault

Evans/Paquette/Poehling

40 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I like this signing, Perrault is a good bottom-6 player at a reasonable price. Wouldn't be surprised if it is MB's last UFA signing and the last move before the end of training camp when teams need to lock their NHL roster

it is good to see the number of Quebequers on the team around the core we have. The role players on the 1993 team helped get the Habs over the hump.

It is even better to see the competition for the bottom-6. Paquette said he would "go through walls" for this team

Poehling and Caufield are still waiver eligible, and although they should be on the line-up next season, now they have to earn a spot during training camp :)

depth chart is something like:

LW:

Toffoli

Hoffman

Drouin

Byron

RW:

Gallagher

Anderson

Caufield (I know some have him higher)

Armia

C :

Suzuki

Kotkaniemi

Perrault

Evans/Paquette/Poehling

Plus Lehkonen 

9 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think if we're rolling 4 lines Poehling could put up 25-40pts on the 3rd line as center.  Lets see what he can do if it doesn't work out go out and trade for a center upgrade. 

The Habs are already gambling that KK can take a BIG step forward and be the 2C for 82 games ... think it would be a mistake to also expect Poehling to step in as 3C ... taking that risk and it not working out would be problematic, upgrading the 2/3C position in-season would be very difficult ... 

10 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think if we're rolling 4 lines Poehling could put up 25-40pts on the 3rd line as center. 

But, he didnt play 1 game in the NHL in 20-21, doesnt seem likely. Would be awesome though.

4 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

He was playing really well before he got the season ending injury. Him and Caufield had some great chemistry together. 

Somehow, i dont see those 2 playing on same line. But, obviously hope they would play well together, maybe on the PP in a few years.:nuts:

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

He was playing really well before he got the season ending injury. Him and Caufield had some great chemistry together. 

Yes, he was. But the AHL is not the NHL. Leskinen was doing well in Laval, too, but couldn't play well enough to break into the Habs lineup. The gap between the two leagues is substantial, and it's a tough transition for many players.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The Habs are already gambling that KK can take a BIG step forward and be the 2C for 82 games ... think it would be a mistake to also expect Poehling to step in as 3C ... taking that risk and it not working out would be problematic, upgrading the 2/3C position in-season would be very difficult ... 

There should be no expectation that Poehling steps in and eats significant minutes. Anything he does is effectively a bonus.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There should be no expectation that Poehling steps in and eats significant minutes. Anything he does is effectively a bonus.

I agree ... was saying that it would not make any sense to, as was suggested elsewhere, make Poehling the 3C for this season.

6 hours ago, titanfan said:

Neither has Kotkeniemi

Lehks is a fourth liner in a team with 6 fourth liners already! Byron, Evans, Paquette, Perrault, Evans, Poehling

Kotkaniemi has been the thrid line center for a couple of years and will probably be given a chance to center the second line

Not really the same