Byron out 5 months (hip)

Meller93

11 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

The Perrault signing makes sense.

True, the Perrault signing fills this hole pretty well. Maybe this won’t lead to any direct move.

still, doesn’t it end up saving us on cap throughout the season? If we perform it could mean a trade deadline acquisition 

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

True, the Perrault signing fills this hole pretty well. Maybe this won’t lead to any direct move.

still, doesn’t it end up saving us on cap throughout the season? If we perform it could mean a trade deadline acquisition 

He is expected back around Christmas/New Years ... then (as I understand it) if placed on LTIR the Habs would have to be able to take back his full $3.4 million AAV onto the cap ... I believe this injury just screws the cap.

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

He is expected back around Christmas/New Years ... then (as I understand it) if placed on LTIR the Habs would have to be able to take back his full $3.4 million AAV onto the cap ... I believe this injury just screws the cap.

Well, if Byron is on board to sit out the season, I believe they could LTIR him along with Weber and get full advantage of both contracts if they spend to the cap prior to it. As I understand it, a player can only be activated from LTIR if the team is cap compliant, even if healthy. It was suggested that this was why Kucherov looked like he was at 100% right from the start of the playoffs - because he could have been playing and simply could not be activated.

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

It doesn't save them any money but it allows them to go a little deeper into LTIR to start the season.  They'll need to get back in compliance to activate him so whoever his replacement is would have to be off the roster by then.  Just picking a random example, they could spend up to their max on Weber, then carry Poehling on the roster until Byron returns and send Poehling down at that time.  Simple example but that's the gist of it.

36 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Well, if Byron is on board to sit out the season, I believe they could LTIR him along with Weber and get full advantage of both contracts if they spend to the cap prior to it. As I understand it, a player can only be activated from LTIR if the team is cap compliant, even if healthy. It was suggested that this was why Kucherov looked like he was at 100% right from the start of the playoffs - because he could have been playing and simply could not be activated.

That was allowed when the player was finally healthy in the last week(s) of the season ... after the trade deadline ... not certain it works for a player who is healthy at New Years ... think the habs would have to become cap complaint once Byron is deemed ready to play ... and after the Kucherov situation this season I expect the NHL will be watching LTIR to ensure no healthy players are being hidden.

The key is in clause 50.10(d)(iv) of the CBA:  ... provided, however, that when the unfit to-play Player is once again fit to play (including any period such Player is on a Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan to another league), the Club shall be required to once again reduce its Averaged Club Salary to a level at or below the Upper Limit prior to the Player being able to rejoin the Club.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

That was allowed when the player was finally healthy in the last week(s) of the season ... after the trade deadline ... not certain it works for a player who is healthy at New Years ... think the habs would have to become cap complaint once Byron is deemed ready to play ... and after the Kucherov situation this season I expect the NHL will be watching LTIR to ensure no healthy players are being hidden.

The key is in clause 50.10(d)(iv) of the CBA:  ... provided, however, that when the unfit to-play Player is once again fit to play (including any period such Player is on a Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan to another league), the Club shall be required to once again reduce its Averaged Club Salary to a level at or below the Upper Limit prior to the Player being able to rejoin the Club.

I figured there had to be some rule about that, but had only heard about not being able to activate unless compliant.