2020(21) Tokyo Summer Olympics

Fanpuck33

On 7/27/2012 at 1:33 PM, JoeLassister said:

You know the lounge is dead when there is no thread about the Olympics going on...

Discuss...

Shocked we were already ignoring the Olympics in the Lounge way back in 2012! 

Highlight of week 1 was Lydia Jacoby winning the 100m breast stroke. The celebration at the watch party in her home town was awesome. Bobby Fink's final 50 Ithe 800m and 1500m were pretty awesome, too. Lee Kiefer winning our first gold in Foil was cool, though I find foil to be the most difficult form of fencing to watch. 

Low points so far would be volleyball. Men's indoor team fell apart from the service line and failed to advance out of the group, while 3 of 4 beach teams went out in the round of 16. The women's indoor team is still going, but have two starters out with ankle injuries. Oh, and Archery was highly disappointing as well with no medals.

Lowest point is NBC's coverage. So many replays of events they've already shown being televised instead of full events from other sports. Not a single US judoka was shown, and most medal matches they showed were joined in progress near the end. Lots of archery and shooting events were shown in abbreviated form. I thought they had gotten over their habit of not showing events live that they plan on showing in primetime, but they've done it again with athletics and gymnastics. And tonight they've been showing the same thing live on two channels. Ugh. Edit: And immediately after posting this, they cut to commercial right in the middle of a long jumper running up to the line. Not the first instance of such crap.)

And the whole reason I looked up the 2012 thread... Y'all finally got your revenge in women's soccer. We were aided in 2012 by the weirdest call I've ever seen and today the game was decided by a brutal penalty call. I have no idea how they overturn the no-call on the field. I guess all you have to do to draw a penalty is stick your leg in front of someone trying to play the ball. Not that the US was ever going to win. They did almost nothing with all their possession and looked no better than the Australia game. 

I've yet to see a positive comment anywhere about NBC's coverage.  You'd think after all these years, someone would outbid them for the rights or someone at NBC would see all the negativity and think about changing things up a little.  

I can't complain about the Canadian coverage.  At times, there are five separate stations showing live events with plenty of recap shows during the day to catch up on anything important that was missed.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I've yet to see a positive comment anywhere about NBC's coverage.  You'd think after all these years, someone would outbid them for the rights or someone at NBC would see all the negativity and think about changing things up a little.  

And they've got the rights through 2032. Ugh. It seems like they are actually showing less this year than in precious years. They relegated tennis and wrestling to The Olympic Channel, which they've never used for live coverage of events before since it doesn't have the carriage of their other networks.  They're also not using MSNBC at all, which is unusual.  They don't even follow the schedule they have online, so I have to record every hour of coverage and check to see what it is before I watch/delete it. And while I am not big on gymnastics in general, one event I do like is the rings. They didn't show one competitor on that apparatus in either their team coverage or all around coverage.

Their online coverage is annoying, too. They do at least have some commentary on the events, but it isn't NBC people. And they stick in ads everywhere on the streaming. They ignored much of the late rounds of archery one day and they put in a 30 second ad between every single set. And they did it by cutting off the commentator in the middle of a sentence.

I remember having complaints, but I don't remember it being this bad. I don't know if it really is worse than usual of my excitement about the Olympics just clouds my memory. Or maybe it is just that I love the winter Olympics and their coverage of that tends to me better since it isn't as popular here. I feel like I remember not evening watching any of the prime time coverage because everything had already aired live. Of course, that is what they want to avoid in the summer.

I must admit that I prefer the winter Games, but I've rarely been that much NOT invested in the Olympics in my life.

Probably because it's overnight.  

I remember always watching rowing, a lot of swimming races, most of track and field events like 100m, 200m, relay, long jump, high jump, pole, etc. 

But this year, nada.   I barely watched the male 100m final to see DeGrasse and that's it.

6 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Their online coverage is annoying, too. They do at least have some commentary on the events, but it isn't NBC people.

We have that too.  Some of the specialty channels simply show the international feed but that's fine.  Lots of times, they're better than the people CBC trots out as commentators that have no business calling anything on TV.

55 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

We have that too.  Some of the specialty channels simply show the international feed but that's fine.  Lots of times, they're better than the people CBC trots out as commentators that have no business calling anything on TV.

It's definitely an improvement on previous years where some events had no commentary and others had what sounded like student interns. But NBC has lots of announcers and commentators that I actually like, so it drives me crazy that they don't just use their own feed. I mean, they're already paying them to call the action, so why not use it? You'd think by now that contracts for on-air talent would include streaming. They do the same kind of thing on Peacock for snow sports. I tried it out since they really cut back on biathlon and cross-country skiing this year, so I gave Peacock a try. Video with no commentary. Unwatchable. Even alpine skiing witch they aired on TV with their regular commentary only had video online.

US took down Canada for the bronze in track cycling women's pursuit. But WOW at the Germans winning gold. They practically caught the Brits!

I just noticed something - when NBC and USA are both airing the same love track events, they have separate commentary. So they can pay two groups of people to cover the same event, but can't stream their own commentators? Good grief.

2 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I'm sure it will be an exciting race when NBC gets around to showing it tonight! :lol::rolleyes:

woah !!  it was broadcasted live on National TV here at 8h50am 

On 8/4/2021 at 4:25 PM, Fanpuck33 said:

Told you NBC's coverage sucks!

How is the PBP guy for the Track and Field coverage on NBC (Leigh Diffey)?  I'm used to him calling IndyCar and a bit of Nascar and I don't know how well that'd translate to the non-racing events.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

How is the PBP guy for the Track and Field coverage on NBC (Leigh Diffey)?  I'm used to him calling IndyCar and a bit of Nascar and I don't know how well that'd translate to the non-racing events.

He's solid. I believe he also does sliding sports at the Winter Olympics. He does does fine with those and track, but of course those are also racing events, albeit short ones. Field events... it's harder to judge because most of the field coverage here is just brief clips of jumps and throws in between track races. They also have an injured hammer thrower doing color, and she is pretty wodden and not great at exchanging with the other commentators.

Congrats to Damian Warner, winner of the ultimate Summer Olympic event, the decathlon. NBC shockingly provided pretty good coverage last night, after breezing through most of the first day. Of course, they also ruined it by reserving the final event of it and the heptathlon till 10pm tonight.

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Holy shit,  that shootout  CAN vs SWE  was  INSANE  !!!!!!!!!!

Credit to Canada's defense for carrying them to gold. That's crazy to win three knockout round games in a row while only scoring from the dot. 

Wow, the USA pulls out the gold medal count in the last day. The men's track team finally got their first gold in the 4x400, then the women followed through in the same event. Then the real shocker - gold in the Women's Omnium, our first ever women's gold in track cycling. Finally, our indoor Women's Volleyball won their first gold after settling for silver and bronze on numerous occasions. 

Now only six months till the Winter Games in Beijing!