Would you resign Galchenyuk to center the 3rd line?

alfredoh2009

Galchenyuk is still unsigned (on Aug 3, 2021), would you sign him to center the Habs 3rd line?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Galchenyuk is still unsigned (on Aug 3, 2021), would you sign him to center the Habs 3rd line?

• Yes
    • No

I would bring back Chucky on a cheap contract league minimum contract cheap contract for one season. Would you?

Edited by alfredoh2009
why be greedy ?

Nope

I have gone over any UFA and RFA available and tried my best to see who may be had on a trade and to the best of my knowledge there is nothing out there.

Like when being late to the dance and having to lower one's standard for a dance partner... Chucky looks good as a 3C

19 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I have gone over any UFA and RFA available and tried my best to see who may be had on a trade and to the best of my knowledge there is nothing out there.

Like when being late to the dance and having to lower one's standard for a dance partner... Chucky looks good as a 3C

Chucky played his way out of the centre position, and off the team, with the Habs ... even with Arizona he was 3rd in TOI amongst centres ... then he bounced from Pittsburgh, to Arizona, to Ottawa and to Toronto ... playing less and less centre ... I would look at Evans, Poehling, Zajac (rumoured likely signed with NYI), Filppula, Bozak, Paquette, Belzile, Brossard, Perrault or even Staal as the 3C before Galchenyuk.

Galchenyuk isn't a centre and the Habs have ample winger depth as it is.  It's not a great fit.

To add to GHT120's list, I'd think about Chris Tierney.  He has a year left with Ottawa but is available (and I don't think the asking price is too high).  He's an ideal 3C but can move up to the top six when injuries arise.  At $3.5M, he's a bit pricey for that role though so some sort of salary offset would be needed which could complicate things.

Can't wait for the would you bring Subban back next year when his contract is up or NJ buys him out. When it comes to development we dropped the ball on galchenyuk. And I'm kinda worried we're doing the same with Kotkaniemi. I wouldn't bring him back and honestly I don't see why he would want to come back.  As a 3rd line center I want someone who is a good 2 way player can win faceoffs and can put up 25plus points or more. Galchenyuk isn't a center which is why we gave up on him. I would bring Domi back before I do galchenyuk. 

36 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Can't wait for the would you bring Subban back next year when his contract is up or NJ buys him out. When it comes to development we dropped the ball on galchenyuk. And I'm kinda worried we're doing the same with Kotkaniemi. I wouldn't bring him back and honestly I don't see why he would want to come back.  As a 3rd line center I want someone who is a good 2 way player can win faceoffs and can put up 25plus points or more. Galchenyuk isn't a center which is why we gave up on him. I would bring Domi back before I do galchenyuk. 

I dont see it as a development issue. Galchenyuk isn't that good. He's ok but not good. I'm not sure what a year in the all would have done to change that. KK got his AHL time. If he fails to impress, I won't blame development.  

31 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I dont see it as a development issue. Galchenyuk isn't that good. He's ok but not good. I'm not sure what a year in the all would have done to change that. KK got his AHL time. If he fails to impress, I won't blame development.  

KK would have been. Better served in Finland as an 18 year old. He put muscle on the last year, but still seems to need to grow into his body - he’s always seems to be falling like Bambi on the ice.

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

KK would have been. Better served in Finland as an 18 year old. He put muscle on the last year, but still seems to need to grow into his body - he’s always seems to be falling like Bambi on the ice.

after you said that before I started to look for that and you are right, he seems to make himself unbalanced when giving or receiving body checks.

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Keeping him as an 18  year old was a mistake. Plus it used up 1 year of his ELC. Hopefully they learned from that. 

Actually, bringing Subban back on a cheap deal would not be a horrible idea; he might be a useful #5-6 RHD for us. At least he would have some interest in moving the puck. In hockey terms, that makes more sense than bringing back Galchenyuk. (Of course it might offend Gallagher).

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Keeping him as an 18  year old was a mistake. Plus it used up 1 year of his ELC. Hopefully they learned from that. 

No question, but I doubt they’ve learned a thing. After all, they made this mistake with Galchenyuk and didn’t learn; Mete likewise; and now KK. It’s a pattern, not an aberration.

I am hopeful that KK will still work out fine, but given that most of his first three NHL seasons have been mediocre - albeit redeemed somewhat by bursts of strong playoff play - it’s pretty clear that he should have been left to marinade in the AHL. The Habs can never resist the great PR of a much-hyped teenager making the roster, it seems.

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No question, but I doubt they’ve learned a thing. After all, they made this mistake with Galchenyuk and didn’t learn; Mete likewise; and now KK. It’s a pattern, not an aberration.

YET, Habfans were ready to draw and quarter DD for not starting KK & CC at start of playoffs.

And of course, playing  Caufield on the top line this coming season is not like, you know, history repeating eh?!

:bonk:

Habs and Fans are wiser now 🙄

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

And of course, playing  Caufield on the top line this coming season is not like, you know, history repeating eh?!

Well, this is different, he is the new toy that cant fail.:popcorn:

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Well, this is different, he is the new toy that cant fail.:popcorn:

Yeah, what can go wrong? He is much better than any RW the Habs have.

I love how if the habs use a young player its mis managing development yet there is kids on every NHL team... news flash galchenyuk just isn't good enough. How can a team that was able to squeeze 30 goals out of him (the bets of his career) mismanaging his development? The problem is the kid wanted to play C and just didn't have the brains. We were not the only team to make that assessment!

As for KK, he's going to be just fine. Who really cares about ELC in the grand scheme of things. He has 8 playoff goals already and literally just turned 21 a few months ago. The experience he's already had at this level in the NHL surely out weighs any experience he would of got playing an extra year in Finland or in the AHL.

I believe he will reap the awards soon enough if he's able to turn it up another gear or 2 after he evolves from boy to man.

2 hours ago, DON said:

YET, Habfans were ready to draw and quarter DD for not starting KK & CC at start of playoffs.

He wasn’t 18. Looked good at the end of the year - certainly better than a lot of guys that were playing. I had concerns rushing him, but he looked real good, and I thought should have been in the playoffs from the start.

Having said that, last year he came in as an unknown (not in skill, but in how he would perform at the NHL level).  If it looks like he needs more time next year, or the opposition is paying more attention and he is struggling, he should be sent down to Laval.  

Kids that age need to play. If you want and expect a guy to be a scorer, and he isn’t getting it done at the NHL, send him down and let him dominate. You look at players like Patterson - MUCH better player than KK, but he didn’t come over as an 19 year old. KK wasn’t even close to Patterson and had no business being in Montreal any more than the 8 or 9 games allowed.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I love how if the habs use a young player its mis managing development yet there is kids on every NHL team... news flash galchenyuk just isn't good enough. How can a team that was able to squeeze 30 goals out of him (the bets of his career) mismanaging his development? The problem is the kid wanted to play C and just didn't have the brains. We were not the only team to make that assessment!

As for KK, he's going to be just fine. Who really cares about ELC in the grand scheme of things. He has 8 playoff goals already and literally just turned 21 a few months ago. The experience he's already had at this level in the NHL surely out weighs any experience he would of got playing an extra year in Finland or in the AHL.

I believe he will reap the awards soon enough if he's able to turn it up another gear or 2 after he evolves from boy to man.

It’s a matter of him staying in a role where he can show whether he can dominate offensively. If we drafted a guy #3 to be a number 3 depth centre that’s a mistake. Let him grow offensively first and get lots of minutes in a lower league and show that he can dominate. Patterson did not come up as an 18 year old. Same with Debrincat. Jack Hughes could have benefited like his brother did with a year in Michigan.

• Like 1