Would you resign Galchenyuk to center the 3rd line?

alfredoh2009

Galchenyuk is still unsigned (on Aug 3, 2021), would you sign him to center the Habs 3rd line?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Galchenyuk is still unsigned (on Aug 3, 2021), would you sign him to center the Habs 3rd line?

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

No question we are rolling the dice  with KK and Evans at 2C and 3C but sometimes you need to take a chance. 

Especially when you have no choice but to do so.

let KK walk for his 6 milly and i still dont want Chucky on the Team... why is that? I liked Chucky as winger

2 hours ago, ehjay said:

let KK walk for his 6 milly and i still dont want Chucky on the Team... why is that? I liked Chucky as winger

Ha Ha Ha :rofl:

good point!

• Like 1

I think these names have been discussed before, but posting here after Kotkaniemi's offer sheet for reference.

top 10 PPG UFA centres still available, in case MB decides to let KK go and takes the picks:

(Evolving Hockey, contract projections)

1. Tyler Bozak,           35yr   TOI 14:54    1 year $1.268M
2. Artem Anisimov    33yr    TOI 12:01    1 year $0.9873M
3. Travis Zajac          36yr
4. Carter Rowney     32yr    TOI 14:16    2 years $$1.038M
5. Tyler Ennis            31yr    TOI 12:07    1 year $0.9873M
6. David Backes       37yr
7. Casey Cizikas      30yr     TOI 13:50    3 years $2.310M
8. Eric Staal             36yr
9. Brad Richardson 36yr
10. Frans Nielsen     37yr

===========================

I would go hard for Cizikas and offer $3M/3years (KK's salary) and take the picks from Carolina. If we keep Kotkaniemi at $6M/year, the Habs would be over the cap right a way and even more so when Byron returns. No cap room to add to the team during the season.

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would go hard for Cizikas and offer $3M/3years (KK's salary) and take the picks from Carolina. If we keep Kotkaniemi at $6M/year, the Habs would be over the cap right a way and even more so when Byron returns. No cap room to add to the team during the season.

Cizikas' deal with the Islanders is done, just not announced yet.

I think these names have been discussed before, but posting here after Kotkaniemi's offer sheet for reference.

top 10 PPG UFA centres still available, in case MB decides to let KK go and takes the picks:

(Evolving Hockey, contract projections)

1. Tyler Bozak,           35yr   TOI 14:54    1 year $1.268M
2. Artem Anisimov    33yr    TOI 12:01    1 year $0.9873M
3. Travis Zajac          36yr
4. Carter Rowney     32yr    TOI 14:16    2 years $$1.038M
5. Tyler Ennis            31yr    TOI 12:07    1 year $0.9873M
6. David Backes       37yr
7. Casey Cizikas      30yr     TOI 13:50    3 years $2.310M
8. Eric Staal             36yr
9. Brad Richardson 36yr
10. Frans Nielsen     37yr

===========================

Cizikas is a 30 yr-old,  12 minute per game 5-on-05 centre ... a 3C at best ... and rumoured to have already "signed" with the Islanders, but the contract is not yet registered for some crazy wizard motive by Lou ... he is maybe a replacement for last season KK, but not "hoped for" KK ... don't know if I would go for three years.

1 hour ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

No. Eichel is available. We have Carolinas first and our first, add a piece and get it done.

Do that in a second ... but likely also requires our first and third and at least one legit, high-end prospect ... probably two.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Do that in a second ... but likely also requires our first and third and at least one legit, high-end prospect ... probably two.

Which is fine, but still doesnt help you fill KK or 3rd centre holes this year. And would be mailing in 21-22 season and giving away your two 1st round picks, with draft in Montreal (if Habs looking to drum up some good PR)?

18 minutes ago, DON said:

Which is fine, but still doesnt help you fill KK or 3rd centre holes this year. And would be mailing in 21-22 season and giving away your two 1st round picks, with draft in Montreal (if Habs looking to drum up some good PR)?

Agree ... I was less advocating and more offering an opinion of what it would take ... not certain it would "mail-in 21-22" if they allow Eichel to have his preferred surgery (estimated 8 week /2 month recovery) ... just because it has never been done on a NHL player doesn't mean it is the wrong option.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Cizikas is a 30 yr-old,  12 minute per game 5-on-05 centre ... a 3C at best ... and rumoured to have already "signed" with the Islanders, but the contract is not yet registered for some crazy wizard motive by Lou ... he is maybe a replacement for last season KK, but not "hoped for" KK ... don't know if I would go for three years.

If you think three years is bad, wait until you see how long the deal winds up being.  The number I've seen tossed around is 6 years.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

If you think three years is bad, wait until you see how long the deal winds up being.  The number I've seen tossed around is 6 years.

😲

Guess it depends on the AAV ... 6yrs@$1.125M wouldn't be horrible in cap terms ... but I know it won't be that.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Guess it depends on the AAV ... 6yrs@$1.125M wouldn't be horrible in cap terms ... but I know it won't be that.

I forget if it's $2.5M or $2.75M but I think it's somewhere in that range.  Of course, with all of these agreed in principle only, things can change.

to close this thread, I would like to add that I would PTO Chucky to training camp this year and offer him a two-way deal if he proves he can play 3C at the NHL level.

I liked how much energy he showed in his AHL games against Laval and his NHL games against Montreal. He is not washed up yet, and may be worth a try for nostalgia's sake

13 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

to close this thread, I would like to add that I would PTO Chucky to training camp this year and offer him a two-way deal if he proves he can play 3C at the NHL level.

I liked how much energy he showed in his AHL games against Laval and his NHL games against Montreal. He is not washed up yet, and may be worth a try for nostalgia's sake

And he has proven he can set up Caufield and Suzuki ... 😉

• 2 weeks later...

The question is now moot

Not yet,

Its just a PTO, we could still sign him out from under the Coyotes noses if we offered an NHL contract (1-way or 2-way)... anyone could do this with Goloubef to us too. 

PTOs are no commitment from the team other than a spot in training camp.  They are also no commitment from the player in that if a real contract shows up they can sign it. 

Someone did this with the Flames/Oilers a few years back, was on a PTO with one team and they wanted to sign him at the end of camp and he jumped to the rival.  Can't remember who.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Not yet,

Its just a PTO, we could still sign him out from under the Coyotes noses if we offered an NHL contract (1-way or 2-way)... anyone could do this with Goloubef to us too. 

PTOs are no commitment from the team other than a spot in training camp.  They are also no commitment from the player in that if a real contract shows up they can sign it. 

Someone did this with the Flames/Oilers a few years back, was on a PTO with one team and they wanted to sign him at the end of camp and he jumped to the rival.  Can't remember who.

a french speaking defenseman did this to the Habs in recent memory

a french speaking defenseman did this to the Habs in recent memory

Are you thinking of Simon Despres?  He had the PTO with the Habs, then took a PTO to practice with Laval, eventually signed with them and then basically used them as an avenue to go somewhere else.  He played a handful of games and then eventually went to Germany.

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Are you thinking of Simon Despres?  He had the PTO with the Habs, then took a PTO to practice with Laval, eventually signed with them and then basically used them as an avenue to go somewhere else.  He played a handful of games and then eventually went to Germany.

yeah, that is whom I was thinking of.

thanks Brian!