2021/2022 Lineup Ideas

hockeyrealist

What the new lines could look like after the Dvorak trade and letting Kotkaniemi walk 

Toffoli  / Suzuki  / Caufeild 

Hoffman  / Dvorak  / Gallagher 

Drouin  / Evans  / Anderson 

Lehkonen  / Paquette  / Armia 

Ex Byron, Poehling , Perreault 

I think we have to much winger's and should trade some to upgrade the LD side of the D.

I have a different lines:

Scoring line:             Hoffman-Suzuki-Caufield
Secondary scoring: Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson
Two-way line:          Toffoli-Evans-Gallagher
Energy line:              Lehkonen-Paquette-Armia
Dea, Perrault
Edmundson-Petry
Chiarot-Savard
Romanov-Wideman
Kulak

PP1:

Hoffman-Suzuki-Caufield

Drouin-Petry

PP2:

Anderson-Dvorak-Gallagher

Toffoli-Wideman

Edited by alfredoh2009
switched Drouin and Toffoli on the PPs

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I have a different lines:

Scoring line:             Hoffman-Suzuki-Caufield
Secondary scoring: Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson
Two-way line:          Toffoli-Evans-Gallagher
Energy line:              Lehkonen-Paquette-Armia
Dea, Perrault
Edmundson-Petry
Chiarot-Savard
Romanov-Wideman
Kulak

PP1:

Hoffman-Suzuki-Caufield

Drouin-Petry

PP2:

Anderson-Dvorak-Gallagher

Toffoli-Wideman

Taffoli is on the energy line after leading the team in scoring??? Really??

47 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yeah, I think Poehling has to be in there somewhere. I have a gut feeling he will surprise a lot of people this year. 

With Byron out, I think you give him a good look over Perrault & Paquette. His job to lose. Just put him in a position to succeed. When Byron's back you have a 2way to send down.

7 hours ago, nihilz said:

Toffoli Suzuki Caufield

Hoffman Dvorak Anderson

Drouin Poehling Gallagher

Lehkonen Evans Armia

This is the optimal lineup, IMO. Evans is a 4C. Poehling seems to be ready now and is a great fit for Gally and Drouin. Paquette and Perrault are depth forwards only. It will be tough for Byron coming back from hip surgery and quite frankly they do not need him in 21-22 if ever. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nihilz said:

Toffoli Suzuki Caufield

Hoffman Dvorak Anderson

Drouin Poehling Gallagher

Lehkonen Evans Armia

I like your line up, even if different than mine.

Let's hope Poehling wins that spot, that would be awesome for the Habs

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Let's hope Poehling wins that spot, that would be awesome for the Habs

Call me an unbeliever, i think would be awesome to see Poehling has improved enough to be 3rd centre; but, we all know it simply aint happening next month.  

Can we stop handing huge roster responsibilities to kids who have never played, or played one, NHL game, please? It is much more plausible to think that Evans is ready for the next step than that Poehling is ready to jump 2-3 steps.

Poehling should be competing for a 4th line spot. On the wing if necessary. If he consistently plays well over a number of weeks, then consider moving him up.

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Can we stop handing huge roster responsibilities to kids who have never played, or played one, NHL game, please? It is much more plausible to think that Evans is ready for the next step than that Poehling is ready to jump 2-3 steps.

Poehling should be competing for a 4th line spot. On the wing if necessary. If he consistently plays well over a number of weeks, then consider moving him up.

Poehling should be competing for a ROSTER spot. Where he plays should depend on what his play dictates.  I hate the attitude that a young player should start in the 4th line.  Let his play and performance dictate where he ends up after training camp and start of the year.  What I hate is pencilling in, or counting on a rookie or young player, who has not shown he belongs in the NHL a spot in the lineup.  Yzerman has kept his early draft picks in Europe or the minors, until they have shown they belong. MB has  consistently used 18 year olds and rookies, trying to fill holes caused by his mis-management and mistakes.

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Poehling should be competing for a ROSTER spot. Where he plays should depend on what his play dictates.  I hate the attitude that a young player should start in the 4th line.  Let his play and performance dictate where he ends up after training camp and start of the year.  What I hate is pencilling in, or counting on a rookie or young player, who has not shown he belongs in the NHL a spot in the lineup.  Yzerman has kept his early draft picks in Europe or the minors, until they have shown they belong. MB has  consistently used 18 year olds and rookies, trying to fill holes caused by his mis-management and mistakes.

Actually I agree with everything you say here. I’m assuming that Poehling is more of a bottom-6 guy, and the usual starting point for those guys is the 4th line, but if he is unexpectedly ready to play shutdown minutes, then of course we should use him in that way. My real point in that post is that it is silly to PLAN on the assumption that Poehling will be a 3rd-line NHL C. That would a happy freak event. Much more realistic planning would be to slot Evans for that role and take a wait-and-see approach to Poehling, which is what you are advocating as well.

14 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think he'll be  competing for that 4th line center spot vrs Paquette. 

19 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Poehling should be competing for a ROSTER spot. Where he plays should depend on what his play dictates. 

Agreed. I am obviously more optimistic than many on what Poehling's ceiling is but he has to earn it at training camp. 

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Actually I agree with everything you say here. I’m assuming that Poehling is more of a bottom-6 guy, and the usual starting point for those guys is the 4th line, but if he is unexpectedly ready to play shutdown minutes, then of course we should use him in that way. My real point in that post is that it is silly to PLAN on the assumption that Poehling will be a 3rd-line NHL C. That would a happy freak event. Much more realistic planning would be to slot Evans for that role and take a wait-and-see approach to Poehling, which is what you are advocating as well.

Agreed.

6 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think he'll be  competing for that 4th line center spot vrs Paquette. 

Could be. But we have to stop expecting or penciling players in for the spot. Let’s see how they do on training camp. Than, evaluate them during the start of the year. Make full use of the waiver exempt period and allow them to show they can dominate and produce at the lower level, before bringing them up. Once they are up, let them show they belong. If they unsurp a veteran, so be it. Move them up the lineup, or let them bump the veteran out (high is what I think KK had shown enough to bump Stall out last year).

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed. I am obviously more optimistic than many on what Poehling's ceiling is but he has to earn it at training camp. 

Hey, I’m still hoping he can be a 3rd, or even a 2nd line player (if he is, would probably be on the wing though), but we shouldn’t be constructing the roster on that expectation.

5 hours ago, DON said:

Call me an unbeliever, i think would be awesome to see Poehling has improved enough to be 3rd centre; but, we all know it simply aint happening next month.  

you are an unbeliever, Don ! 🤪

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Could be. But we have to stop expecting or penciling players in for the spot. Let’s see how they do on training camp. Than, evaluate them during the start of the year. Make full use of the waiver exempt period and allow them to show they can dominate and produce at the lower level, before bringing them up. Once they are up, let them show they belong. If they unsurp a veteran, so be it. Move them up the lineup, or let them bump the veteran out (high is what I think KK had shown enough to bump Stall out last year).

but, that is what this thread is for !?

2021/2022 Lineup Ideas

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I for one don't understand why Bergevin signed Paquette and Perreault to begin with other than to keep the French media off his back for lack of French players.  We have the depth on the wings. I would of kept that 4th line center spot open for someone to try and win a spot in camp and preseason. 

5 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I for one don't understand why Bergevin signed Paquette and Perreault to begin with other than to keep the French media off his back for lack of French players.  We have the depth on the wings. I would of kept that 4th line center spot open for someone to try and win a spot in camp and preseason. 

Someone still may ... both veterans can play wing and are also making less then the upper threshold for their contract to be buried ... I still feel like another trade is coming ... so the "presumed" 4th line wingers (Armia and Lehkonen) could be part or could slide up if another winger is dealt.

21 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I for one don't understand why Bergevin signed Paquette and Perreault to begin with 

$1.8m total for both for 1yr, so what risk is there and every team needs depth, dont they? And doesnt hurt that they are french, we all know it factors in...Bergevin hinting Drouin being french factored in (or however he put it, cant remember exact comment) to Sergachev deal, NOW that one bugged me back then and played out horribly till now is 'bit' painful also.:(

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Which is why I can't understand why everyone is putting Caufield in on the first line.  Seriously?

He has played all of 10 regular season games.  He looked good.  But he hasn't even earned a roster spot yet, let alone the first line?

It would be great if he EARNS that spot, but he could just as easily be in Laval by the end of November.

And, let's be clear, I really like Cole.  I really do.  But he hasn't PROVEN anything yet.

40 minutes ago, titanfan said:

And, let's be clear, I really like Cole.  I really do.  But he hasn't PROVEN anything yet.

I think Cole proved a lot in the playoffs, he proved he is not scared of the spotlight and proved he can play at the NHL level.