2021/2022 Lineup Ideas

hockeyrealist

I start with making the matchup line (Dvorak) and then after that build from there.  There is only one LW who can play a two way game to be part of that line, unless you force Armia or Lehkonen onto that line and that forces one of the top 9 wingers to the fourth line.

This is why Drouin ends up on the top line... but he is the third wheel on that line and its the other two who I expect to drive the line.

Drouin - Suzuki - Caufield

Toffoli - Dvorak - Gallagher

Hoffman - Evans - Anderson

Then your fourth line becomes a competition.   At centre I see a contest between Perreault/Poehling/Paquette  (with maybe Perreault stealing the third line spot and forcing Evans to fourth).

On the wing, you have Perreault (if he cant be a centre), Armia, and Lehkonen for 2 spots.

As for Poehling, I think he ends up in the AHL for a little more time.  One thing to keep in mind, Poehling's season in the AHL was very good, but must be taken with the following grain of salt.  The team only had 4 different opponents, and taxi squads meant the AHL was weaker last year than it normally is with each team missing their top goalie and 3-4 top players.  That's a big hit to every AHL team and makes all opponents weaker as a whole with lots of guys who are normally in the CHL or ECHL taking their spots.   The loss of the number 1 goalie, number 1 defenceman and number 1 centre on virtually every AHL team is pretty big. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

... As for Poehling, I think he ends up in the AHL for a little more time.  One thing to keep in mind, Poehling's season in the AHL was very good, but must be taken with the following grain of salt.  The team only had 4 different opponents, and taxi squads meant the AHL was weaker last year than it normally is with each team missing their top goalie and 3-4 top players.  That's a big hit to every AHL team and makes all opponents weaker as a whole with lots of guys who are normally in the CHL or ECHL taking their spots.   The loss of the number 1 goalie, number 1 defenceman and number 1 centre on virtually every AHL team is pretty big. 

Great point ... 20/21 seasons were far from normal ... not prudent to lean too heavily on its regular seasons results.

Gally is top six. Working with Hoffman and Dvorak should be an effective #2 line. Drouin is not top 6 at least to start the year. He and Anderson will wing on 3rd line with Poehling/ Paquette at C. I'm giving it to Poehling as its his year to grab it. He should be very motivated and the potential is there. If not, he'll move on and just be another #1 that didn't pan out. Paquette is a an OK backup but... Evans is a 4C and good with Lehtonen/Perrault and Armia. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Longstreet said:

Gally is top six. Working with Hoffman and Dvorak should be an effective #2 line. Drouin is not top 6 at least to start the year. He and Anderson will wing on 3rd line with Poehling/ Paquette at C. I'm giving it to Poehling as its his year to grab it. He should be very motivated and the potential is there. If not, he'll move on and just be another #1 that didn't pan out. Paquette is a an OK backup but... Evans is a 4C and good with Lehtonen/Perrault and Armia. 

I DO NOT want Hoffman on the line that is going to play against the other team's #1 line.  I don't want Drouin there either. 

Why would you want Dvorak and Gally to be burdened with a bad defensive player while facing the other team's top line?

Also how is another season in the AHL prove that Poehling won't work out.  Last year was far from a normal season, both in games played and in strength of competition.  The previous season was also cut short by Covid.  He's had 2 years in the AHL (and many players take 3 under normal circumstances) but even those 2 years, is more like 1.25 years when you really add up the number of games played and the strength of competition. 

It is not a sign that he (or anyone else) who needs more development time that it makes them a bust.  The development path is not normal and its fine if that means he needs a bit longer.

On defence, the fact that Norlinder has spent a lot of time at RD in Sweden and is a puck mover the Habs need gives him a real chance to make the team. 

He is gonna compete with Wideman and Kulak for the 6th D spot. 

Now, I'd go with Kulak but we know the coaches aren't that high on him.

Some will say he's rushed but consider

Mete made the Habs at 19.... with 1 year of post-draft hockey in the OHL.
Kotkaniemi did so, just months after his 18th birthday, with no post draft hockey.

Norlinder is 21, with two years of post draft hockey (since he was not drafted in his first draft eligible season, actually three years). He spent those years playing against men... 1/2 season in the Allsvenskan at 18, a full season at 19, and then up to the SHL for the full season at 20.

The levels of hockey experience and development he comes to camp with is not the same as what Mete and KK were at.

He will have to earn the spot, it won't be handed to him, but I don't think it would be rushing him to see him on the team. 

He's the same age as Romanov (which means he's older than Romanov when Romanov made the team).

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

Drouin - Suzuki - Caufield

Toffoli - Dvorak - Gallagher

Hoffman - Evans - Anderson

Perreault/Poehling/Paquette + Armia, and Lehkonen

Ok, staring from your line combinations, and expanding with @The Chicoutimi Cucumber's idea of duos:

we may have:

1. I can only see these two duos as very likely

LW1-[Suzuki-Caufield]

LW2-[Dvorak-Gallagher]

2. Leaving the bottom 6 like this:

LW3-Evans-RW3

LW4-Paquette-RW4

3. Toffoli and Drouin seem to have chemistry with Suzuki, and Toffoli seems to be more consistent. Hoffman is probably better if playing with Dvorak and Gallagher who are responsible on both sides of the puck.

Toffoli-[Suzuki-Caufield]

Hoffman-[Dvorak-Gallagher]

4. Out of the remaining forwards, Drouin would be useless on the fourth line and Anderson is too good to be playing in the fourth line

Drouin-Evans-Anderson

Which leaves:

Lehkonen-Paquette-Armia

and Perrault as an extra forward. Hopefully more like Perry than Frolik last year.

Hoffman and Drouin may play higher if they get hot. Anderson can play higher if he gets hot. Lots of internal competition.

Paquette-Armia may be great together

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DON said:

Not sure would place alot of importance on exactly who plays with who...in the 1st game that Habs are getting beat bad, they will switch it up pretty quick.

I wonder what is average time a set of three plays together on any team?

But, likely obvious that a duo is much more likely to stick for extended time and maybe finding those best combos is more key (Suzuki-Caufield, Dvorak-Gallagher, Lehkonen-Evans...)? 

Good point, especially about the quickness a blender will come out.  Think they will still have scoring issues (as in consistently getting the 3 goals that win games).  Hopefully I am wrong and maturity/new additions help.

Think Anderson will rebound well, last season was his first real season in a long Time and seemed to get worn down over time.

19 hours ago, Commandant said:

I DO NOT want Hoffman on the line that is going to play against the other team's #1 line.  I don't want Drouin there either. 

Why would you want Dvorak and Gally to be burdened with a bad defensive player while facing the other team's top line?

Also how is another season in the AHL prove that Poehling won't work out.  Last year was far from a normal season, both in games played and in strength of competition.  The previous season was also cut short by Covid.  He's had 2 years in the AHL (and many players take 3 under normal circumstances) but even those 2 years, is more like 1.25 years when you really add up the number of games played and the strength of competition. 

It is not a sign that he (or anyone else) who needs more development time that it makes them a bust.  The development path is not normal and its fine if that means he needs a bit longer.

“I DO NOT want Hoffman on the line that is going to play against the other team's #1 line.  I don't want Drouin there either. ”.  

Amen to that, not only will team lose but Suzuki and CC will be hindered/end up injured from trying to do too much.  With this in mind I can see Toffolli there.

“Why would you want Dvorak and Gally to be burdened with a bad defensive player while facing the other team's top line?”- good point, Byron may be good for there when back, I’d try Anderson on off wing in this situation almost exclusively.  

Now I’ve got Drouin and Hoffman in the bottom 6…Hmmm, I’m starting to not like this abundance of wingers (and no real star yet, CC 2023/24?).  

Not sure Id expect Dvorak to gel with Gally, he and Anderson both played for London Knights (think they were there at same Time for one year but not checking).

Lots of middle six wingers to spread around a shallow C pool. That’s why I see Pacquette getting every chance to play 3C.   
Perreault has never really been a C and have a hard time seeing him playing, let alone at C.  The other new additions are going to get prime opportunity to make Bergy look good and relatively new coach won’t have as much preconceived notions.  So Hoffman def gets an offensive line, Pacquette gets every opportunity to play important role, Perreault is the Perry/Froik combo pack where he has to get a chance and then make it impossible to take him out à la Perry but think he starts as 13th forward. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

On defence, the fact that Norlinder has spent a lot of time at RD in Sweden and is a puck mover the Habs need gives him a real chance to make the team. 

He is gonna compete with Wideman and Kulak for the 6th D spot. 

Now, I'd go with Kulak but we know the coaches aren't that high on him.

Some will say he's rushed but consider

Mete made the Habs at 19.... with 1 year of post-draft hockey in the OHL.
Kotkaniemi did so, just months after his 18th birthday, with no post draft hockey.

Norlinder is 21, with two years of post draft hockey (since he was not drafted in his first draft eligible season, actually three years). He spent those years playing against men... 1/2 season in the Allsvenskan at 18, a full season at 19, and then up to the SHL for the full season at 20.

The levels of hockey experience and development he comes to camp with is not the same as what Mete and KK were at.

He will have to earn the spot, it won't be handed to him, but I don't think it would be rushing him to see him on the team. 

He's the same age as Romanov (which means he's older than Romanov when Romanov made the team).

Nice, I have liked what I’ve seen more recently.

Agreed Kulak seems to Be black sheep.

Norlinder ‘21!

19 hours ago, Commandant said:

Good point, agreed.

Would love to see him force his way into play with excellence.  
But realistically best think for him is a full season of top line AHL duties. What’s the most games he’s played in a year before? College, shortened pro seasons, has he played over 50 games/season yet?  The NHL is a grind that can impact player development on its own.

No reason not to still see potential strong 3/4 C or middle six winger come from him.  This season will obv be a huge sign as to what we can expect longer term.

57 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Good point, especially about the quickness a blender will come out.  Think they will still have scoring issues (as in consistently getting the 3 goals that win games).  Hopefully I am wrong and maturity/new additions help.

Think Anderson will rebound well, last season was his first real season in a long Time and seemed to get worn down over time.

I’ll say this: I think we have a pretty darned good FW configuration. Lots of depth, lots of players who, on any given night, can be productive. Everyone wants superstars, but I always liked the “roll four lines” concept. The Habs have made some highly strategic decisions designed to make us more dangerous on the PP too. So that should help. But, ultimately, I agree that we will “have trouble scoring,” and the reason is simple. Only one of our defenceman is competent to move the puck, lead the rush, and make plays. As long as that is so, this team will be required to overcome an offensive handicap night after night.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’ll say this: I think we have a pretty darned good FW configuration. Lots of depth, lots of players who, on any given night, can be productive. Everyone wants superstars, but I always liked the “roll four lines” concept. The Habs have made some highly strategic decisions designed to make us more dangerous on the PP too. So that should help. But, ultimately, I agree that we will “have trouble scoring,” and the reason is simple. Only one of our defenceman is competent to move the puck, lead the rush, and make plays. As long as that is so, this team will be required to overcome an offensive handicap night after night.

I think that the lack of puck-rushing/play-making Ds will be addressed by various breakout schemes and coaching strategies.

The Habs will probably add that type of D during the season; and in a year's time the one of our D prospects may fill that void (I am thinking Brook more than any other).

but I am not too concern about it for now.

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’ll say this: I think we have a pretty darned good FW configuration. Lots of depth, lots of players who, on any given night, can be productive. Everyone wants superstars, but I always liked the “roll four lines” concept ...

I would say they may have the best set of 8 wingers in the NHL ... I too like the "roll concept" ... most importantly that the third line can support the top two and the 4th line can productively play substantial minutes to avoid overloading the top three ... my concern remains whether anyone that will fill the 3C role can provide offensive support to whoever ends up being the wingers on the third line.

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... Only one of our defenceman is competent to move the puck, lead the rush, and make plays. As long as that is so, this team will be required to overcome an offensive handicap night after night.

This is a huge issue IMO ... it makes Commandant's point even more important that it would not seem to be "rushing" Norlinder were he to earn a spot in TC ... breakout schemes can help non-puckmovers, but only so much ... schemes can be counter-schemed

42 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

This is a huge issue IMO ... it makes Commandant's point even more important that it would not seem to be "rushing" Norlinder were he to earn a spot in TC ... breakout schemes can help non-puckmovers, but only so much ... schemes can be counter-schemed

Ah Ha!, but you cannot counter Dom's counter-couter-scheme !

oh-no-not-the-demogorgon.gif?w=1000

33 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ah Ha!, but you cannot counter Dom's counter-couter-scheme !

oh-no-not-the-demogorgon.gif?w=1000

LOL

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I think that the lack of puck-rushing/play-making Ds will be addressed by various breakout schemes and coaching strategies.

The Habs will probably add that type of D during the season; and in a year's time the one of our D prospects may fill that void (I am thinking Brook more than any other).

but I am not too concern about it for now.

I’ve only seen one real consistent breakout scheme in a long time - find someone on a breakaway.  Otherwise, it’s been the keystone cops routine. 

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We have a lot of depth on the wing, but we have two guys who should be in there top six (Taffoli and Caufield- - probably should be together on the first line), but may not be playing in that high. 

we also have two guys who need to be on the top two lines to be really effective, (Drouin and Hoffman).  Drouin has yet to show he deserves to stay there in a consistent basis. Hoffman is so one dimensional he doesn’t deserve the ice time that a top six would get. If you move Drouin up to the first line, you bump Taffoli down, but if our top line is matched against a dominant line, I’d be much more comfortable having Taffoli there than Drouin.

Frankly, I’d prefer to have Anderson over Hoffman, in the top two lines, but don’t know if that’s possible either given Hoffman’s limitations.

We than have Gallagher, who is a top six winger, but given the defensive limitations of Drouin and Hoffman would be ideally suited for the the 3rd line with Evans, unless:

1) His hand issues are resolved (fingers crossed), and he can score on a regular basis (been declining and getting injured almost every year)

2) No one  else shows they are up to task of added minutes that the second line would get.

The challenge with putting Gallagher with Evans is that Gallagher should be playing 18+ min, and I’m not sure if Evans will get, or is ready for that many minutes.

in a roundabout way, I agree we have a abundance of vey good to potentially good wingers, but given the unknown of our 3rd line centre, and consistent reliability (not necessarily production), we have a lot of wingers with question marks, give the roles we need then to play.

In a perfect world, lekhonan and Armia are 4th liners, but not sure if that is possible.

I wouldn’t mind TRYING

Drouin-Suzuki-CC

Taffoli-Dvorak-Hoffman

Anderson-Evans-Gallagher 

Lekhonan—Pacquette-Armia

for that to happen, Evans has to play a lot of minutes. It would also scare me to have Andersen (stupidity) and Gallagher (refs hate him - he can get mugged and it’s okay, if he taps someone he goes to the box) who take a lot of penalties be playing together.

regardless of what our lines are, our D is a black hole that sucks our offensive potential into an abyss. 

35 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We have a lot of depth on the wing, but we have two guys who should be in there top six (Taffoli and Caufield- - probably should be together on the first line), but may not be playing in that high. 

we also have two guys who need to be on the top two lines to be really effective, (Drouin and Hoffman).  Drouin has yet to show he deserves to stay there in a consistent basis. Hoffman is so one dimensional he doesn’t deserve the ice time that a top six would get. If you move Drouin up to the first line, you bump Taffoli down, but if our top line is matched against a dominant line, I’d be much more comfortable having Taffoli there than Drouin.

Frankly, I’d prefer to have Anderson over Hoffman, in the top two lines, but don’t know if that’s possible either given Hoffman’s limitations.

We than have Gallagher, who is a top six winger, but given the defensive limitations of Drouin and Hoffman would be ideally suited for the the 3rd line with Evans, unless:

1) His hand issues are resolved (fingers crossed), and he can score on a regular basis (been declining and getting injured almost every year)

2) No one  else shows they are up to task of added minutes that the second line would get.

The challenge with putting Gallagher with Evans is that Gallagher should be playing 18+ min, and I’m not sure if Evans will get, or is ready for that many minutes.

in a roundabout way, I agree we have a abundance of vey good to potentially good wingers, but given the unknown of our 3rd line centre, and consistent reliability (not necessarily production), we have a lot of wingers with question marks, give the roles we need then to play.

In a perfect world, lekhonan and Armia are 4th liners, but not sure if that is possible.

I wouldn’t mind TRYING

Drouin-Suzuki-CC

Taffoli-Dvorak-Hoffman

Anderson-Evans-Gallagher 

Lekhonan—Pacquette-Armia

for that to happen, Evans has to play a lot of minutes. It would also scare me to have Andersen (stupidity) and Gallagher (refs hate him - he can get mugged and it’s okay, if he taps someone he goes to the box) who take a lot of penalties be playing together.

regardless of what our lines are, our D is a black hole that sucks our offensive potential into an abyss. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, not going to comment beyond that.

20 hours ago, GHT120 said:

HOPE Norlinder's defensive game is NHL ready & he is ready for the physicality of NHL forecheckers; but soon we shall see how he stacks up. 

Agree, it seems like Habs have assembled a nice group of skilled forwards this year, no matter who plays with who on top 3 lines.

18 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I wouldn’t mind TRYING

Drouin-Suzuki-CC

Taffoli-Dvorak-Hoffman

Anderson-Evans-Gallagher 

Lekhonan—Pacquette-Armia

A lot does depend on Evans stepping up and playing effective regular 3rd-line minutes. I like the kid and think he probably can do so provided he stays healthy, but we won’t know for certain until the season starts. 

Hoffman was acquired to add PP production and general offence. He’s like Michael Ryder. The acquisition challenges the coaching staff to make optimal use of a one-dimensional player. Too often in the past, the Habs have had plodding coaches who inevitably drove such guys out of the lineup on the principle that you’re only allowed to be one-dimensional if that dimension is defence. Hoffman is 31; he is not going to change into Bob Gainey. It’s up to the coaches to use the asset intelligently. It’s a nice little test for the imagination of Ducharme. https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/analysis/2021/7/28/22598831/instant-analysis-mike-hoffman-should-help-solve-montreals-power-play-woes-nhl-free-agency

Given that we have Drouin, Caufield, and Hoffman, none of who are likely to be defensively impeccable, MB’s theory is probably that our stifling D-men can make up for lapses by the W. This is yet another way in which the D unit and the FW are not in sync; it’s a very 1950s model of team building, where the forwards are there to score and the D are there to defend, and there is not much overlap between the two functions. 

Two Things

1) Perreault is also saying that the back issues that caused him to switch from centre to wing (bad back for taking FOs) are now gone and he could play C if asked.

2) Norlinder had a real rough game in his own end and ended up benched yesterday.  There will be defensive mistakes from him.  The offensive game is NHL ready.  The defence we will have to see, is it at a level that you can live with some mistakes or is it back to sweden?

33 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Two Things

1) Perreault is also saying that the back issues that caused him to switch from centre to wing (bad back for taking FOs) are now gone and he could play C if asked.

2) Norlinder had a real rough game in his own end and ended up benched yesterday.  There will be defensive mistakes from him.  The offensive game is NHL ready.  The defence we will have to see, is it at a level that you can live with some mistakes or is it back to sweden?

1) It would be great if we had the Perrault of a few years back, and 40-point C. His back may be healed up, but he’s 33 years old and on the decline. I wouldn’t expect **too** much from him. Still, it’s a good point that he may be an option if Evans falters…

2) I don’t see much evidence that the Julien/DD regime has much tolerance for defensively-questionable D-men. Look how they keep jerking around Kulak, the extreme caution they took with Romanov in the playoffs, and of course their extraordinarily selective deployment of Gustafsson. As I say above, i think this team is build on an extremely old-school vision of the D-corps as a hermetic, suffocating defensive unit (and offence from the back end be damned). I doubt Nordlinger will get much room to be the exception. He may, of course, become the new Gustafsson, perhaps drawing in here and there when the team is really offensively slumping, or used purely on the PP, etc. But basically I’d guess the coaches are pencilling him as #7, just like they like to do with Kulak - assuming he even makes the cut.

They shouldn't keep him to be the #7 IMO.   Its top 6 or back to Sweden. 

Yes, he's older than Mete when he made it (and older than Romanov when he made it too), but that doesn't mean he can afford a season in the pressbox. 

Romanov played 54 out of 56 games in the regular season at over 17 minutes a game.  If Norlinder isn't going to get similar usage, he should go back to Sweden.

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Two Things

(1) Players almost always   say   the right things ... the last time Perreault took over 203 face-offs was 2014/15 ... the number has decreased every year since ... 19 and 13 the last two seasons ... I am doubtful he has been miraculously healed by "Montreal tap water".

(2) Defence will be the challenge for Norlinder ... wonder if he will get a 9 game "tryout" to avoid burning a ELC season ... another fa tor will be how Wideman looks ... he has shown glimpses of offence better than Chiarot, Edmundson, Romanov or Kulak ... if CW looks at least tenable he could allow Norlineder another season to develop

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

(1) Players almost always   say   the right things ... the last time Perreault took over 203 face-offs was 2014/15 ... the number has decreased every year since ... 19 and 13 the last two seasons ... I am doubtful he has miraculously healed by Montreal tapwater.

(2) Defence will be the challenge for Norlinder ... wonder if he will get a 9 game "tryout" to avoid burning a ELC season ... another fa tor will be how Wideman looks ... he has shown glimpses of offence better than Chiarot, Edmundson, Romanov or Kulak ... if CW looks at least tenable he could allow Norlineder another season to develop

He's 21, the ELC season is burned no matter where he plays.  The rollover only applies to 18 and 19 year olds. 

And yes, Wideman is his competition. As are anyone they might see on waivers at the end of camp.  I could see them grabbing a defenceman off the wire, especially if there is some offence there and a cheap contract.   Could even be Cale Fleury.