2021/2022 Lineup Ideas

hockeyrealist

1 hour ago, huzer said:

Why is Edmundson switching sides? I can't see breaking up the Edmundson-Petry pairing.

30 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Yup. 

Not my preference, but in the (unlikely) event that the Habs were to get a top 4, LH-puck moving defenceman then Joel is the logical move ... don't see Chiarot moving to the right-side, even on the third pairing

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 1:42 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

Ok, staring from your line combinations, and expanding with @The Chicoutimi Cucumber's idea of duos:

we may have:

1. I can only see these two duos as very likely

LW1-[Suzuki-Caufield]

LW2-[Dvorak-Gallagher]

2. Leaving the bottom 6 like this:

LW3-Evans-RW3

LW4-Paquette-RW4

3. Toffoli and Drouin seem to have chemistry with Suzuki, and Toffoli seems to be more consistent. Hoffman is probably better if playing with Dvorak and Gallagher who are responsible on both sides of the puck.

Toffoli-[Suzuki-Caufield]

Hoffman-[Dvorak-Gallagher]

4. Out of the remaining forwards, Drouin would be useless on the fourth line and Anderson is too good to be playing in the fourth line

Drouin-Evans-Anderson

Which leaves:

Lehkonen-Paquette-Armia

and Perrault as an extra forward. Hopefully more like Perry than Frolik last year.

Hoffman and Drouin may play higher if they get hot. Anderson can play higher if he gets hot. Lots of internal competition.

Paquette-Armia may be great together

camp is over, which I think it is a good time to revisit lineup projections, Based on what I've been able to see an dread:

Duos in bold:

Toffoli-[Suzuki-Caufield]

Drouin-[Dvorak-Anderson]

(injured *Hoffman) Armia-[Evans-Gallagher]

Perrault (until Hoffman is back)-[Poehling (injured * Paquette)-Lehkonen]

Belzile as 13th forward

Poehling until Paquette is back

(injured*Edmundson) Chiarot-Petry

Romanov-Savard

Kulak (until Edmundson is back, then Chiarot moves here)-Wideman

Niku as 7th defenseman

Allen & Montembault

"Dread" is a very apropos typo given the current situation!

Poehling's pre-season results are not terrible but I'm not yet convinced. Belzile is probably roughly equivalent level at this point in time.

On D, my biggest concern is Romanov-Savard. Romanov hasn't yet shown his early-season form from last year and Savard's performance has (in my opinion) been worse than Wideman's -- it seems that he has not really yet adjusted to Ducharme's system. Hopefully this will not take much longer.

Montembeault ... need to see more. Not comfortable with him at the NHL level at this point yet.

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

"Dread" is a very apropos typo given the current situation!

Poehling's pre-season results are not terrible but I'm not yet convinced. Belzile is probably roughly equivalent level at this point in time.

On D, my biggest concern is Romanov-Savard. Romanov hasn't yet shown his early-season form from last year and Savard's performance has (in my opinion) been worse than Wideman's -- it seems that he has not really yet adjusted to Ducharme's system. Hopefully this will not take much longer.

Montembeault ... need to see more. Not comfortable with him at the NHL level at this point yet.

:huh: 😬 :shocked: I just saw it, that's funny and may be an omen of what's to come

:gohabsgo: I'll be cheering them on, because that's what I do :gohabsgo:

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

(injured*Edmundson) Chiarot-Petry

Romanov-Savard

Kulak (until Edmundson is back, then Chiarot moves here)-Wideman

Niku as 7th defenseman

I wonder if DD won't want to stick with Petry-Romanov, at least to start the season ... playing Chiarot with Petry likely provides a stronger top pairing but Savard/Chiarot seems like a stronger/steadier second pairing on a more balanced defence corps ... Wideman/Kulak doesn't strike me as winning DD/Richardson's confidence and Savard/Romanov on a weaker 2nd pairing would/could then lead to an overload of 5-on-5 icetime for Petry ... not IMO ideal ... 

I think romanov will start the season with petry.

Id split the other two pairs.

Not enough speed in a chiarot-savard pair and not enough grit in kulak - wideman.

Id go

Chiarot wideman and kulak savard.

Savard was simply horrible with puck.

Is he really that bad or simply slow out of gate?

Romanov 4pts in 4gms.:thumbs_up:

Poehling again just seemed so ineffective and not sure he even held on to the puck for more than 1 second at a time, aside from his breakaway.

Just 6:37 for Ylonen...why not at least give him a 1/2 decent chance to do something?

20 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think romanov will start the season with petry.

Id split the other two pairs.

Not enough speed in a chiarot-savard pair and not enough grit in kulak - wideman.

Id go

Chiarot wideman and kulak savard.

That makes sense…wonder if DD sees it that way?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It should be Perreault or Paquette but we know Ducharme isn't a Lehkonen fan so I'll pick Lehkonen.

I hope not ... but sadly I totally get the logic ... AL's best bet for staying in the line-up is that he leads Habs forwards in PK-TOI (3 minutes per game), 42 seconds more than Evans.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It should be Perreault or Paquette but we know Ducharme isn't a Lehkonen fan so I'll pick Lehkonen.

sadly, I think you are right

I expect Paquette to come out when Brooks is added to the lineup.

I prefer Perrault's play over Paquette's

New third line line?

Edited by alfredoh2009

this will be an improvement

16 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

New third line line?

clarifying:

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Is it really an improvement, though? 😐

I think so, leaves Kulak with Petry. Kulak has produced offense 

also, Niku is a big guy and not as easily pushed off the puck as Wideman. If he defends better, it is a plus; if he can skate with Romanov and complement his play, it is much better

3 hours ago, Neech said:

I like Romanov getting a chance with Petry, he shouldn't be asked to carry the pairing with Wideman or Niku.

Romanov looked pretty shaky at times last game for sure.

This looks more like it: