2021/2022 Lineup Ideas

hockeyrealist

41 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Poor Toffoli and Caufield, though.

It is very clear that unless Evans takes a step forward, the hole in the #3C position is a real void on this roster.

They need to play better to earn a spot on the top 6.

Evans is back to the role he excelled at last season

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

They need to play better to earn a spot on the top 6.

Evans is back to the role he excelled at last season

Frankly, Suzuki needs to ply better to earn a spot in the top 6, but given our centre depth, we have no choice.

Suzuki will be fine. Evans has shown when healthy that he is a capable C. Where lies the problem is KK was replaced by Paquette and now Perreault (a winger)

Not to mention we brought Savard on to add to our D core but needed 2 Dman (one to replace weber).

Add to that danault, Weber, edmundson and Byron (4 key cogs on our PK) all removed and we have the worst PK in the league at around 50%... couple that with a PP running at 0% and its no wonder we are 0-4.

Realistic fans of hockey and more importantly the Habs understand that with 9 players removed from this teams playoff run and alot of them key players, we would have a rough start maybe even a rough year. Fix the special teams and we can right this ship. Cause we could easily be 2-2 if the leafs and rangers went our way on special teams alone.

• Like 1

I wonder if the "second" line, Suzuki's, will square off against CAR's first line? 🤔

It would be nice to see Gally pester KK all game long :)

That defence is not very good and the system the defence is playing is not designed for this makeup.  We need a big win tonight and a win against the wings on Saturday then at least the bleeding can stop.  

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I wonder if the "second" line, Suzuki's, will square off against CAR's first line? 🤔

It would be nice to see Gally pester KK all game long :)

NOT saying I thought that Brooks played well last game ... but one game seems like an incredibly short leash.

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

NOT saying I thought that Brooks played well last game ... but one game seems like an incredibly short leash.

perrault has more scoring potential, he is also good on faceoffs and on the power play

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

perrault has more scoring potential, he is also good on faceoffs and on the power play

Perrault has always been very good on faceoffs ... and I agree about proven offensive potential, including the powerplay ... my point was just that I was somewhat surprised by the change as one game (12:32 TOI) seems very little time to judge someone who had Caufield-ish numbers last regular season (same number of gaols/assists, one more game played) ... BTW, in absolutely no way suggesting that he is as good as Caufield, just that he had decent numbers for 11 games played.

2 hours ago, Davehab said:

That defence is not very good and the system the defence is playing is not designed for this makeup.  We need a big win tonight and a win against the wings on Saturday then at least the bleeding can stop.  

Then off to the West coast and no one should expect any wins there, other than maybe in Seattle. 

49 minutes ago, DON said:

Then off to the West coast and no one should expect any wins there, other than maybe in Seattle. 

I don't know ... Seattle will want to defend its 1917 Stanley Cup victory and show it was no fluke

😉

Friday, October 2211:30 a.m. practice
LW C RW
68 - Mike Hoffman 14 - Nick Suzuki 11 - Brendan Gallagher
92 - Jonathan Drouin 28 - Christian Dvorak / 24 - Adam Brooks 17 - Josh Anderson
73 - Tyler Toffoli 85 - Mathieu Perreault 22 - Cole Caufield
62 - Artturi Lehkonen 71 - Jake Evans / 13 - Cedric Paquette 40 - Joel Armia

LD RD G
8 - Ben Chiarot  26 - Jeff Petry 35 - Sam Montembeault
15 - Sami Niku 77 - Brett Kulak Karel St-Laurent
27 - Alexander Romanov 58 - David Savard  

20 - Chris Wideman

Goaltender Jake Allen didn't practice with the rest of the group.

He worked with goaltending coach Eric Raymond on the secondary rink.

My thoughts:

• Chiarot may benefit the most from the changes as he can have less concern about puck movement, and worrying about Savard(?), and just play to his strengths (even if those may not be superior).
  • Assume either Dvorak has some slight injury or DD feels he needs a kick in the pants ... or DD is committing to Perreault as 3C for the moment and wants that line to get as many reps as possible together, and didn't want to disrupt Suzuki's line in order for Brooks to get his.
  • Doubt that Niku/Kulak get second pairing minutes ... ***IF*** they do, then it would look like Romanov is trending seriously downward and Savard is (currently at least) "the next Alzer"

44 minutes ago, GHT120 said:
Friday, October 2211:30 a.m. practice
LW C RW
68 - Mike Hoffman 14 - Nick Suzuki 11 - Brendan Gallagher
92 - Jonathan Drouin 28 - Christian Dvorak / 24 - Adam Brooks 17 - Josh Anderson
73 - Tyler Toffoli 85 - Mathieu Perreault 22 - Cole Caufield
62 - Artturi Lehkonen 71 - Jake Evans / 13 - Cedric Paquette 40 - Joel Armia

LD RD G
8 - Ben Chiarot  26 - Jeff Petry 35 - Sam Montembeault
15 - Sami Niku 77 - Brett Kulak Karel St-Laurent
27 - Alexander Romanov 58 - David Savard  

20 - Chris Wideman

Goaltender Jake Allen didn't practice with the rest of the group.

He worked with goaltending coach Eric Raymond on the secondary rink.

My thoughts:

• Chiarot may benefit the most from the changes as he can have less concern about puck movement, and worrying about Savard(?), and just play to his strengths (even if those may not be superior).
  • Assume either Dvorak has some slight injury or DD feels he needs a kick in the pants ... or DD is committing to Perreault as 3C for the moment and wants that line to get as many reps as possible together, and didn't want to disrupt Suzuki's line in order for Brooks to get his.
  • Doubt that Niku/Kulak get second pairing minutes ... ***IF*** they do, then it would look like Romanov is trending seriously downward and Savard is (currently at least) "the next Alzer"

I liked Perrault's game, for me Perrault and Evans deserve to be the 3C and 4C respectively.

Wideman froze on Kotkaniemi's goal, he has not produced on the PP and is not reliable defensively; he needs a kick in the lower body

I hope Niku plays against the Red Wings. I would prefer Kulak on his strong side, but that may be too much to ask Niku (unless he has played there before, I do not know).

32 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Scary how much we need Edmundson to return.

I was a fan before the CH got him, and I am not surprised he is missed. Like I've said before, he is the perfect partner for Petry

36 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was a fan before the CH got him, and I am not surprised he is missed. Like I've said before, he is the perfect partner for Petry

While initially skeptical, I learned to love what he brings. That being said, a D-corps that cannot function effectively without Joel Edmundson is just not a good D-corps. We're not talking about Nik Lidstrom here.

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

While initially skeptical, I learned to love what he brings. That being said, a D-corps that cannot function effectively without Joel Edmundson is just not a good D-corps.

its more then just Edmundson (whos been a rock since joining)... weve lost 2 of our top Dman when you add Weber and his 20 plus minutes as well. So the loss of Edmundson coupled with Weber is catastrophic. Not to mention they both were key cogs on the PK along with Danault and Byron.... add all that together and its no wonder the team is 0-5 to start and just north of  50% on the PK.

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

While initially skeptical, I learned to love what he brings. That being said, a D-corps that cannot function effectively without Joel Edmundson is just not a good D-corps. We're not talking about Nik Lidstrom here.

He is a reliable stay at home top pairing LD; not a Norris winner, but a solid top-4 D on any Stanley cup finalist team

3 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

its more then just Edmundson (whos been a rock since joining)... weve lost 2 of our top Dman when you add Weber and his 20 plus minutes as well. So the loss of Edmundson coupled with Weber is catastrophic. Not to mention they both were key cogs on the PK along with Danault and Byron.... add all that together and its no wonder the team is 0-5 to start and just north of  50% on the PK.

No one is blocking shots on the PK, only deflecting them with their stick if they see the shot

Maybe Weber's injury has scared the Habs from blocking shots

9 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Doubt that Niku/Kulak get second pairing minutes ... ***IF*** they do, then it would look like Romanov is trending seriously downward and Savard is (currently at least) "the next Alzer"

Romanov really is not playing at the same level as last year. If we use advanced stats as a measure, he's about 35% xGF% (5-on-5), well behind Petry, Savard, Chiarot -- and Wideman. Last year he was at 52%, about on par with Petry and Weber.

Playing with Savard may help him. But I do worry a bit about Niku+Kulak as there are not many defensive attributes in that pair.

7 hours ago, DON said:

hits the nail on the head. No dman has looked good this season so far.   Nor any forwards for that matter (minus a few blips).   It’s been tough to watch.

Gallagher has looked very ineffectual, Toffolli looks slow and small, Suzuki/Caufield both look overmatched/overwhelmed, nobody can finish a play and they can barely get a shot off from distance let alone get dangerous chances. 
Dvorak’s line has not been a let down but also hasn’t generated results of any significance so hard to get excited about them either.

It’s been tough to even watch, yet I continue to.

Me thinks the #1 line is 

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson

so, I’d try:

Caufield-Suzuki-Armia (try to get Caufield chances coming from off wing, Armia retrieves/cause turnovers).

Hoffman-Brooks-Gallagher 

Lehks-Evans-Perreault

Think they will have tried every possible d combo by end of tonight’s game (#6), but until Petry plays like a top 4 guy, let alone top pair it won’t matter. I can see he and Chiarot doing OK together so maybe this will click.  But that leaves two sketchy pairs below them and most likely trouble all night for all three pairs.  

Losing Weber and Eddy is too much to overcome back there, I was hopeful but even after five games think the writing is on the wall. Feel bad for Jake Allen this season, Price isn’t coming back to this gong show this year other than to be able to play for team Canada if that is part of making that team.

37 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

hits the nail on the head. No dman has looked good this season so far.   Nor any forwards for that matter (minus a few blips).   It’s been tough to watch.

Gallagher has looked very ineffectual, Toffolli looks slow and small, Suzuki/Caufield both look overmatched/overwhelmed, nobody can finish a play and they can barely get a shot off from distance let alone get dangerous chances. 
Dvorak’s line has not been a let down but also hasn’t generated results of any significance so hard to get excited about them either.

Me thinks the #1 line is 

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson

so, I’d try:

Caufield-Suzuki-Armia (try to get Caufield chances coming from off wing, Armia retrieves/cause turnovers).

Hoffman-Brooks-Gallagher 

Lehks-Evans-Perreault

Think they will have tried every possible d combo by end of tonight’s game (#6), but until Petry plays like a top 4 guy, let alone top pair it won’t matter. I can see he and Chiarot doing OK together so maybe this will click.  But that leaves two sketchy pairs below them and most likely trouble all night for all three pairs.  

Losing Weber and Eddy is too much to overcome back there, I was hopeful but even after five games think the writing is on the wall. Feel bad for Jake Allen this season, Price isn’t coming back to this gong show this year other than to be able to play for team Canada if that is part of making that team.

Toffoli?

4 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Me thinks the #1 line is 

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson

so, I’d try:

Hoffman-Brooks-Gallagher 

Lehks-Evans-Perreault

How about this last game against Detroit?

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

How about this last game against Detroit?

It wasnt Tampa they were playing, so not sure how much would read into the win. But shouldnt complain and actually scored a few, which was awesome for the forwards.:clap:

Just 3 shots from the defensemen, not so great and gave up another PP goal.