2021/2022 Lineup Ideas

hockeyrealist

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Chiarot should be a deadline sell off, and we should see if we can move Byron for picks if we retain 50%. We are gong to suck fir at least two years. May as well stock up on picks and prospects.

I totally agree ... was just commenting on the suggestion that Chiarot be re-signed, in any circumstance.

32 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Chiarot should be a deadline sell off, and we should see if we can move Byron for picks if we retain 50%. We are gong to suck fir at least two years. May as well stock up on picks and prospects.

Yup, that's the direction we should go. I am looking at 3-5 years before the Habs are really competitive. By then (hopefully) Guhle and Jordan Harris are anchoring the defence core along with perhaps a free agent signing as we should have some extra funds as contracts expire and some vets are traded.  We get another top notch centre in this draft to compliment Suzuki and Caulfield develops into an elite sniper. Goaltending may be a question mark if Primeau doesn't develop but maybe someone else will come along. 

That is how I look at it. Would also be really nice if one of Struble, Brooks or Norlinder really develops. 

The way I see it, the way things are going, we should be open to selling anyone 30+ at the deadline (and then some). The 30+ group includes Chiarot, Hoffman, Petry, Savard and Wideman -- four of the current regulard D. Allen ... well, we do need someone to play goal, and he is not expensive.

53 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Maybe this is the solution: 

5008B9DF-5505-4388-8C06-88237A4F333D.jpeg

How about Tiger (Montreal SPCA) ... 

image.png

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think our issue is players have been dogs for the most part - not sure if you’d be able to differentiate them from the mascot!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, when every game the Habs play is a dogs breakfast they would save money on dog food.

I was going to suggest something similar.  Having a some sort of silly gimmick is a decent idea that has helped numerous teams in the past.  ex:  the Flames had the Helmet, plus numerous of Laviolette's teams have had different gimmicks, and most recently the Cannes with their stupid routine at the end of games they won.  Those gimmicks might seem silly and stupid, but they did help all of those teams.  

10 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

...  Having a some sort of silly gimmick is a decent idea that has helped numerous teams in the past ...

Multiple, legit puck moving defencemen is a gimmick the habs haven't tried for some time.

• Upvote 1

Monday, November 8
Practice
LW C RW
68 - Mike Hoffman 14 - Nick Suzuki 73 - Tyler Toffoli
17 - Josh Anderson 24 - Adam Brooks 11 - Brendan Gallagher
62 - Artturi Lehkonen 71 - Jake Evans 40 - Joel Armia
55 - Michael Pezzetta 13 - Cedric Paquette 60 - Alex Belzile
LD RD G
8 - Ben Chiarot 26 - Jeff Petry 34 - Jake Allen
77 - Brett Kulak 58 - David Savard 35 - Sam Montembeault
27 - Alexander Romanov 20 - Chris Wideman  
15 - Sami Niku    

FYI

Have also read somewhere that he will not meet with the press until doing so is OK'd by doctors.

• Like 1

So, Ducharme has been pretty consistent recently with using Romanov, Wideman and Kulak as the "less defensive" D-men. Wideman looks like he's adapting to NHL play, making fewer egregious errors, and now has his TOI consistently in the 15-16 minute range. A serious contributor to the PP.

When Edmundson returns, who will sit? Could it actually be Savard? Swapping him out and sliding in Edmundson would give us three solid D, and allow them more flexibility with the Kulak/Wideman/Niku options for puck-movers.

23 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If they like what Romanov and Wideman are doing, they'll keep them together.  I doubt they pull Savard this early which means Kulak is the odd one out. 

As usual. 

And yet ... I think Kulak has played appreciably better than Savard so far this season.

However, like CC, I will not be surprised if he's the one that has to join Niku in the press box. (Am also unclear about the plan for Niku, who played pretty well when he was in the lineup. Is he on the roster just to get us up to the cap?)

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And yet ... I think Kulak has played appreciably better than Savard so far this season.

However, like CC, I will not be surprised if he's the one that has to join Niku in the press box. (Am also unclear about the plan for Niku, who played pretty well when he was in the lineup. Is he on the roster just to get us up to the cap?)

This coaching staff seems long ago to have made up its mind about Kulak - it goes back to Therrien’s time. They see him as a #6-7 D-man who gets hot now and then, but cannot be trusted as a lineup regular. For my part, I see him a bottom-pairing guy who would probably do better if he were trusted in the first place. He seems to lack confidence more than ability. If I were coaching the team, I would consider telling him “you are our guy, you have the #6 spot, we trust you. Now go.”

It is interesting that Kulak’s advanced stats are apparently very good. It suggests that this coaching staff is not primarily interested in that level of analysis.

Savard, meanwhile, fits the team’s bizarre 1950s vision for its D-corps: big, strong Clydesdale defender. I think they are realizing that he’s not a top-4 guy, but they probably do have him pencilled in as a lineup regular, and he will need to play his way out of that role for a longer period of time. They also have the Edmundson experience to refer to: remember, he was scratched early last season, but gradually carved out a huge role for himself. Richardson probably sees that as the template.

More significant than any of this, to my mind, is that Wideman/Romanov have shown very promising signs of becoming an effective and reliable duo. If they could gradually work their way up to playing effective second-pairing minutes, it would change the complexion of our D group.

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

There's no cap benefit to carrying him on the roster - they're well into LTIR already.  They just don't want to waive him unless they have to.  That time may come once Byron, Perreault, Paquette, and Drouin all come back as they won't be able to have luxury of carrying eight d-men at that time.  (At this point, I expect Edmundson goes into Norlinder's spot.)

With the way the season is going, and the way he is playing (all the goals), it may be best to cash in on Chiarot when Edmundson is ready to play and trade him for assets. 

This way you keep Kulak and Wideman in the lineup and if they continue to play well, they are also set to be UFAs and you'd have another two valuable chips at the trade deadline. 

The only issue is the cap space of the team trading for Chiarot, but if you allow them to trade you back a bad contract (hopefully also set to be a UFA) or retain money on Chiarot, this makes this more likely. 

Of course the longer you go the easier it is for the new team to take on Chiarot. 

I like Chiarot more than I like Kulak and à such as I used to like Pleks

but he is one of the trade blue chips we have.

I would keep him and trade Petry if we are looking to bank high quality picks and prospects.

Chiatot is younger, mobile and relatively cheap.

Petry on a cup contending team would probably bring them the cup

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... I would keep him and trade Petry if we are looking to bank high quality picks and prospects.

Chiatot is younger, mobile and relatively cheap.

Petry on a cup contending team would probably bring them the cup

Not certain I would ever describe mobile as a prime asset for Chiarot ... the Habs prospect depth on defence leans to the left-side, Mailloux (no further comment) and Brooks (looking marginal at the moment) are the only real choices on the right-side ... that leaves Petry filling a more valuable role on a re-building/tooling defence corps ... Jeff also has 3 more years on his contract, albeit at a reasonable $6.25 AAV, so I think he would be difficult to trade in-season.

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Wideman is a righty 

Edmundson and Chiarot can play the right side, Romanov too

Can but shouldnt.

Is just awkward to try and stop shot up the boards on your backhand.

Is simply a disadvantage to play your off-side on d, even if do it fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Projected lines for BUF game :

Drouin getting away from Dvorak

Toffoli completing a more defensive line with D-vo and Josh

Paquette kicked to the curb

I hope they double-shift Romanov with Petry and Wideman instead of pushing the LDs one pair up