What goes around comes around Carolina pay back Kotkaniemi offer sheet

Habsfan89

• Habsfan89 changed the title to What goes around comes around Carolina pay back Kotkaniemi offer sheet
13 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

They just gave Kotkaniemi a offer sheet 1 year at 6.1m with a $20 signing bonus. Must be a shot at Bergevin. 

what does that get MB? like a 1st and a 2nd right? Is that really fair? I think MB should keep KK but 6.1mil seems High  

13 minutes ago, ehjay said:

what does that get MB? like a 1st and a 2nd right? Is that really fair? I think MB should keep KK but 6.1mil seems High  

1st and 3rd and if Montreal match's then next year if they have to qualify him it will be at the same 6.1mil 

Oh and now if we do match it then that F$&*'s us up with Suzuki contract. We would have to pay him over 7mil. 

10 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

1st and 3rd and if Montreal match's then next year if they have to qualify him it will be at the same 6.1mil 

Oh and now if we do match it then that F$&*'s us up with Suzuki contract. We would have to pay him over 7mil. 

Thanks for the clarification :)

but isnt this a multi year deal? and we still have to qualify him next year? 

tho I see the can of worms it opens with Suzuki contract next year and maybe even with some of the vets (Gally) that could have left some money on the table to help MB out

15 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Depending on what happens next season, that might have been happening anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ehjay said:

... but isnt this a multi year deal? and we still have to qualify him next year? ...

He will still be a RFA next season, so qualify or he becomes a free agent.

But paying $6.1 million for KK would astound me.

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I feel I should note that if the Habs match, they cannot trade Kotkaniemi for a year by rule.

What about at the moment?   Could he be traded before announcing whether or not the offer sheet is matched?  Doubt another team would match but it would be a 2022 1st and third as part of whatever deal is struck.

I didn't see this coming. A late 1st round pick isn't much of a return, who cares about the other picks.  Why sign Dougie Hamilton when you have a chance to get back at MB?  This really sucks.  MB is between a rock and a hard space. I am not really sure what he should do. 

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

He will still be a RFA next season, so qualify or he becomes a free agent.

But paying $6.1 million for KK would astound me.

so 1 yr 6.1 milly and 20mil sign bonus... how is this not 26.1 million for 1yr?

why hasnt MB just signed every player to low contracts and High sign bonus yet then? huh? what? Ima soooooo Confused!!!!!

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

What about at the moment?   Could he be traded before announcing whether or not the offer sheet is matched?  Doubt another team would match but it would be a 2022 1st and third as part of whatever deal is struck.

Nope.  It's Carolina or Montreal for Kotkaniemi now.

1 minute ago, ehjay said:

why hasnt MB just signed every player to low contracts and High sign bonus yet then? huh? what? Ima soooooo Confused!!!!!

It's not a $20 million signing bonus.  It's $20 (as in twenty dollars).

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ehjay said:

... so 1 yr 6.1 milly and 20mil sign bonus... how is this not 26.1 million for 1yr?

$20 ... no commas or zeros following it ... $20.00 ... 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ehjay said:

my bad i miss read the amount its 20 bucks bonus llllooooooolllll

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/lnh-les-hurricanes-font-une-offre-hostile-a-jesperi-kotkaniemi-1.14617660

So where does KK play?  They have Aho, Staal and Trochek at centre.

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Carolina saw Montreal in a vulnerable position and took advantage.  Plain and simple.  I have a feeling MB walks away. It hurts either way.  You lose KK for a late 1st round pick or you mess up your salary structure. Almost a lose-lose situation. 

Yup bad hand, take the loss and save the team is best option imho

Three points.

1. Habs are screwed at Centre if they don't match

2.  They can't match.  Don't have the money (even with Weber relief).  Sets a precedent that will handcuff the team for year.  Imagine the dressing room - he'd by the highest paid forward on the team!  

3.  Bergevin gambled (again) and lost (again).  He should be fired.  He just crippled the team.  All he had to do was lock KK up.  He had lots of time to do so.  But, like Markov and others, he decided to play hardball.  This one hurts the team in a huge way!  And it is karma for Bergevin's offer sheet to Aho.  Which took the hockey world by surprise and forced Carolina into a position they didn't want to be in.  The gloves have been off since then.  Steve Moore wasn't blindsided this bad.  At least he knew Bertuzzi wanted to fight him.

Just now, dlbalr said:

Someone's moving to the wing if the Habs don't match - it might be Kotkaniemi himself.

Obviously ... wonder if KK thought that out or just saw $$$$$$?

I say let him go ... it is a ridiculous contract ... would also keep an eye on the Hurricanes extending KK at the first opportunity to do so for a more reasonable AAV ... would stink of pre-arranged CBA circumvention, but expect they would get away with it ... it is the only way this makes any sense to me ... KK just isn't worth $6.1 at the moment, and it is a big gamble that he will be for 22/23 (i.e., qualify or let him walk)

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Obviously ... wonder if KK thought that out or just saw $$$$$$?

I say let him go ... it is a ridiculous contract ... would also keep an eye on the Hurricanes extending KK at the first opportunity to do so for a more reasonable AAV ... would stink of pre-arranged CBA circumvention, but expect they would get away with it ... it is the only way this makes any sense to me ... KK just isn't worth $6.1 at the moment, and it is a big gamble that he will be for 22/23 (i.e., qualify or let him walk)

wow!! I didn't even think aboot how a hand shake 8 yr back door deal might affect this 1yr   

3 minutes ago, titanfan said:

Three points.

1. Habs are screwed at Centre if they don't match

2.  They can't match.  Don't have the money (even with Weber relief).  Sets a precedent that will handcuff the team for year.  Imagine the dressing room - he'd by the highest paid forward on the team!  

3.  Bergevin gambled (again) and lost (again).  He should be fired.  He just crippled the team.  All he had to do was lock KK up.  He had lots of time to do so.  But, like Markov and others, he decided to play hardball.  This one hurts the team in a huge way!  And it is karma for Bergevin's offer sheet to Aho.  Which took the hockey world by surprise and forced Carolina into a position they didn't want to be in.  The gloves have been off since then.  Steve Moore wasn't blindsided this bad.  At least he knew Bertuzzi wanted to fight him.

1. Habs are already screwed at centre in terms of expecting to be a playoff contender of any sort (IMO)

2. He would be the second highest paid forward ... Gallagher's $6.6 AAV deal kicks in this season

3. Lock him up at what AAV?  KK would have had to be willing to sign ... Habs playing to win in the immediate moment in these past playoffs and sitting him out may have spoiled any chance.

Time to tear-down?  Only Gallagher (6 team per CapFriendly), Drouin (3), Anderson (8), Petry (15), Chiarot (10) and Edmundson (10) have any sort of NTC ... and at this point might well be willing to waive even for some of the teams on their NTC list ... load up on first rounders for next summer's' draft at the Bell Centre?

Does this mean Habs offer sheet Martin Necas next summer?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1