What goes around comes around Carolina pay back Kotkaniemi offer sheet

Habsfan89

8 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Wild idea.  Let Carolina have KK.  Use the 1st round pick to package Drouin out for cap space, try to get a 2nd in return.  Offer sheet Hughes in Vancouver for $6m, Vancouver matches, offer sheet Pettersson for $7m-$8m.  Vancouver can’t match, give up 1st, 2nd, 3rd round pick the next draft.  

Voila!  KK and Drouin out, Pettersson in. Only losing out on a first round pick this year, 2nd and 3rd are from other teams.

One can only dream.

Players have to be willing to sign an offer sheet ... and even then, I think the offers would have to be much higher for either to consider signing.

8 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

I predict the Habs will release a statement precisely at 5:00 announcing their decision (and any trade if they made one).  I'm now hoping they match.

Yeah to be honest I also have changed my mind. Id rather overpay him if he sucks than see him become great in another city.

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Players have to be willing to sign an offer sheet ... and even then, I think the offers would have to be much higher for either to consider signing.

Why are no teams offer sheeting Arizonaplayers? The team allways suck and are to poor to actually not suck.

Silent agreement with the nhl?

22 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Trade to move up, maybe, but two late picks is not enough to get a top-three pick.

Unless, of course, we miss the playoffs and then the picture might look a whole lot different.

I don’t see us making it. We need a lot of misfortune and underperformance by a lot of teams to get in (one of which is Carolina as well). It’s not impossible - tens like Florida have a habit of having a good year snd than under-performing. But Tampa, Florida, Toronto, Boston, NYI, WSH, Carolina are are probably locks. I think the Pens and an improved Flyers team are ahead of us well.  Hell, I think even Sens who aren’t a playoff team, may finish ahead of us.

I think we have a top 10 pick ourselves, and if we don’t match a pick between 20 and 28.

20 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Wild idea.  Let Carolina have KK.  Use the 1st round pick to package Drouin out for cap space, try to get a 2nd in return.  Offer sheet Hughes in Vancouver for $6m, Vancouver matches, offer sheet Pettersson for $7m-$8m.  Vancouver can’t match, give up 1st, 2nd, 3rd round pick the next draft.  

Voila!  KK and Drouin out, Pettersson in. Only losing out on a first round pick this year, 2nd and 3rd are from other teams.

One can only dream.

I’d love to offer sheet him. But I see NJD as a team that may do that next year. Get all three Hughes brothers. Have had plenty of high picks. Subban will be off the books. But unless Hughes has a real bad year and takes another step back, would probably take over $10.5m. With Price, we don’t have a room. Would have been easier just to draft him to begin with.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I didn’t have confidence in this management team, and have even less given the rumours that came out that MB had a deal to acquire Fleury if Price got picked up for a 2nd and 3rd pick, when Chicago got him for practically nothing.

Not to derail the thread but as someone who writes for a site with rumour literally in the name, that one's news to me.  It was known that there was a Plan B and that it was suspected that it was Fleury but at no point did anyone credible say definitively that it was Fleury and that the cost was a second and a third.  Conjecture on Twitter is not a legitimate rumour and that's as far as the Fleury to Montreal speculation ever got.

1 minute ago, Dalhabs said:

Maybe not this year but they have been like this for years.

They also operate well below the cap.  One of the biggest advantages of an offersheet is offering above what a team can afford under the CBA.  Since Arizona never is anywhere near the cap, they can match nearly any offer.

24 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Vancouver has Ferland that is LTIR-eligible so they could easily match at those price points.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Not to derail the thread but as someone who writes for a site with rumour literally in the name, that one's news to me.  It was known that there was a Plan B and that it was suspected that it was Fleury but at no point did anyone credible say definitively that it was Fleury and that the cost was a second and a third.  Conjecture on Twitter is not a legitimate rumour and that's as far as the Fleury to Montreal speculation ever got.

I just read it or  saw it somewhere a few days ago - don’t remember where now. Surprised me.

anyways. Leaving in 5 min, so unless something gets announced soon, will be 6 hours until I’ll be able to hear anything.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Vancouver has Ferland that is LTIR-eligible so they could easily match at those price points.

Even if Patterson got a $10m offer, they would match it, and they can make a move to give Hughes a bit more on a short deal, but they control him. Hughes can sit out if he wants, but can’t be signed by anyone else this year. They have plenty of time until next year to make room for Hughes.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Even if Patterson got a $10m offer, they would match it, and they can make a move to give Hughes a bit more on a short deal, but they control him. Hughes can sit out if he wants, but can’t be signed by anyone else this year. They have plenty of time until next year to make room for Hughes.

The Hughes offersheet was to eat cap space, so that would have to be done first.

This is kind of strange there hasn't been an announcement yet.

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agreed.  There's a reason top-end guys rarely get offer sheets.

And I should've realized this when doing the earlier reply but you're right, Hughes isn't even eligible for an offer sheet anyway; he doesn't have enough service time.

59 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

We can always use the 2 1st round picks to trade up in the draft. Maybe even trade for the first overall pick. 

Yes, 2  1st round picks in a good draft is a lot of currency.  Montreal will likely be in a real dogfight to make the playoffs and could easily be top 10 or 15.  Carolina had a good year last year but their goaltending is questionable, they lost Hamilton and all it would take is a key injury up front (heaven forbid LOL) to ruin their season. 

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes, 2  1st round picks in a good draft is a lot of currency.  Montreal will likely be in a real dogfight to make the playoffs and could easily be top 10 or 15.  Carolina had a good year last year but their goaltending is questionable, they lost Hamilton and all it would take is a key injury up front (heaven forbid LOL) to ruin their season. 

Maybe Bergevin doesn't match and pays someone to #### with the hurricanes season so they miss the playoffs and we get a higher pick out of it lol. 

Oh well, I thought there was no way that we could do worse than we did with Chucky at #3 overall but we somehow managed to. If we hadn't just made the finals this would be a fireable debacle for Bergy.  On the other hand, there's a good chance that he's just Lars Eller at best and it's not a huge loss when you don't take his draft position into account.  

The big issue here is the waste of 3rd overall picks.  Getting a 3rd overall pick is how teams get good players.  We take Galchenyuk and KK.

That sure worked out good to us!  Maybe it is finally time to cut ties with Trevor Timmins!

If either player was any good they'd still be on the roster.

• Like 2