Nick Suzuki, what new contract will he get?

Dalhabs

I would guess he will get a 2 year bridge deal, somewhere around the $5m-$6m mark depending on how this season goes for him.  I wouldn’t expect a long term deal unless he finishes top-15 in league scoring or MB lucks out and Suzuki accepts an 8 year deal with low AAV.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I would guess he will get a 2 year bridge deal, somewhere around the $5m-$6m mark depending on how this season goes for him.  I wouldn’t expect a long term deal unless he finishes top-15 in league scoring or MB lucks out and Suzuki accepts an 8 year deal with low AAV.

This season is the opportunity to get an 8 year deal with long-term, low AAV ... and I suspect the floor on that AAV would be $7M, quite possibly more.

MacKinnon (21g, 52pts in 72gms) signed his bargain deal after a season very similar to Suzki's 20/21 (15,41/56 -> ... 19,53/72)

If they believe Suzuki will be a legit, top-15/20 centre then now is the time to strike ... if they are uncertain, then wait ... but it risks missing out on the sweet long-term deal

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

Depends on what happens with Kotkaniemi. If we match then Suzuki will cost use more I would say between 7-8mil a season. If we don't match Kotkaniemi offer sheet then we can save money on Suzuki contract and get him for between 5-6mil

For what term?

Barzel just signed for 3 years @ $7 million ... $5/6M might be a two year bridge, not any longer IMO

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

For what term?

Barzel just signed for 3 years @ $7 million ... $5/6M might be a two year bridge, not any longer IMO

If it's a one-year deal, maybe it's in that price range but any sort of deal that buys out UFA eligibility for Suzuki starts with a 7 at a minimum.  When guys like Joel Farabee and Drake Batherson are getting ~$5M on long-term deals, you know Suzuki's is coming in well above that given his track record and the fact he plays a premium position.  Those deals will impact Suzuki's value more than the offer sheet for Kotkaniemi ultimately will as it's league-wide contracts that are used in contract valuations.

52 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Let's see how he does this season...the first season in which he will be, unambiguously, the team's clear-cut #1C from day one of the season.

Totally understand ... but it could make him more expensive, potentially much more expensive, in his next contract ... "MacKinnon"bargain deals require excellent talent evaluation, reliable production projection and courage ... 

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

This season is the opportunity to get an 8 year deal with long-term, low AAV ... and I suspect the floor on that AAV would be $7M, quite possibly more.

MacKinnon (21g, 52pts in 72gms) signed his bargain deal after a season very similar to Suzki's 20/21 (15,41/56 -> ... 19,53/72)

If they believe Suzuki will be a legit, top-15/20 centre then now is the time to strike ... if they are uncertain, then wait ... but it risks missing out on the sweet long-term deal

Suzuki is not signing a bargain deal early, after seeing the offer sheet KK got. 

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Suzuki is not signing a bargain deal early, after seeing the offer sheet KK got. 

If KK's deal was $6.1M for 4 years or more I might agree ... but it seems to widely held that the actual long-term extension beyond the offer sheet season will be for considerably less.

39 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If KK's deal was $6.1M for 4 years or more I might agree ... but it seems to widely held that the actual long-term extension beyond the offer sheet season will be for considerably less.

Agree. But that’s after The low numbers KK put up last year- and Kk is not a 1st line centre. If Suzuki puts up over 60 points, he WILL be looking for over $7m on a longer term deal. If you look at the other contracts players are signing, that are not 1st line centres, I think Suzuki would easily surpass KK’s one year salary on a 5-6 year longer term deal.

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Let's see how he does this season...the first season in which he will be, unambiguously, the team's clear-cut #1C from day one of the season.

Those are my thoughts. We all like Suzuki but his best regular season was last year, 41pts in 56 games, pro rates to a 60 point season. Of course he had a very good playoff. I am not quite ready to throw 64m over 8 years at him yet.  I am not sure about the comparable to Barzal who has had an 85 point season which is high end. 

I am less worried about an offer sheet for Suzuki because it would be an easier decision on whether to match or not since you have a good idea of his ability/potential.  If someone offered 8Million then it would be an easy decision (like Aho) to match. 

32 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am less worried about an offer sheet for Suzuki because it would be an easier decision on whether to match or not since you have a good idea of his ability/potential.  If someone offered 8Million then it would be an easy decision (like Aho) to match. 

Yes ... it would be much harder if someone were to do an offer sheet for, say, Romanov, where it's not yet clear what his ceiling will be.

14 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Yes ... it would be much harder if someone were to do an offer sheet for, say, Romanov, where it's not yet clear what his ceiling will be.

Exactly, it's a really tough decision with KK because we are kind of guessing at his ceiling. It's an unknown at this point. At least with Suzuki you pretty much know he will be at minimum  a 60-70 point player who plays a solid 2 way game. We don't know if he will be an 80-90 point guy. If he is that 80-90 point guy then 8Million is certainly a starting point.