Habs acquire Christian Dvorak

dlbalr

Ironically this probably makes us a better team this season than if we’d kept KK.

Emphasis on the ‘probably’…I have been a bit of a KK skeptic and now I dearly hope I’ll be proved right 

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ironically this probably makes us a better team this season than if we’d kept KK.

Emphasis on the ‘probably’…I have been a bit of a KK skeptic and now I dearly hope I’ll be proved right 

It might makes us a better team next season as Dvorak is farther advanced.  I hope you are proven right about KK. Time will tell. 

I would have rather kept both picks but I understand MB had to do something after losing KK and Danault. At least if it's a top ten pick the Habs can keep it.  That's how I read the release anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Neech said:

We're sending the Better of the two picks???  Feels like we overpaid because we had our backs against the wall.  It's happened a lot with Bergy the last couple years.  

We send the better of the 2 picks if they are both outside the top ten.  I think the release is pretty clear. 

However, in the event that either or both of Montreal's own 1st round pick and/or Carolina's 1st round pick are Top 10 picks in the 2022 NHL Draft (after the final Draft order has been established in accordance with the results of the 2022 NHL Draft Lottery), then Montreal will instead transfer to Arizona: i) the worse of Montreal's own pick and Carolina's pick (previously acquired by Montreal); and ii) Montreal's own 2nd round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft.

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Bergevin didn't do badly considering he was in a tough position and had no leverage at all. 

agreed, I like this trade.

Cup window still open a bit more than with KK

20 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

We send the better of the 2 picks if they are both outside the top ten.  I think the release is pretty clear. 

However, in the event that either or both of Montreal's own 1st round pick and/or Carolina's 1st round pick are Top 10 picks in the 2022 NHL Draft (after the final Draft order has been established in accordance with the results of the 2022 NHL Draft Lottery), then Montreal will instead transfer to Arizona: i) the worse of Montreal's own pick and Carolina's pick (previously acquired by Montreal); and ii) Montreal's own 2nd round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft.

Yes I understood it.  I think we overpaid.

Great trade. We now have replace KK with a center who can win faceoffs and score on the PP. I am loving this. Takes the pressure off of Evans to be the 2nd line replacement. 4.5 mill for 4 years. Super deal. 

Now, can he package a couple defencemen for a top one? My main worry now.

28 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Great trade. We now have replace KK with a center who can win faceoffs and score on the PP. I am loving this. Takes the pressure off of Evans to be the 2nd line replacement. 4.5 mill for 4 years. Super deal. 

Yep our D is still our weakness.  We have plenty of top-9 forwards, maybe not at centre though.

52 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree with that, but I am conflicted and not sure what my opinion is yet.

On one hand, Dvorak is a decent pickup to replace KK; the cost isnt overly high especially considering his salary and contract for 4 years.  However, I was sorta hoping to see Poehling get a much larger opportunity.  

Also, I recently read an article where Drouin claimed he was looking forward to playing Centre again.  I sorta thought that was funny, but then again, he would have more talented wingers so that should have to work out way better than before.

I think the same with Dvorak too and I'll be shocked if he gets the same amount of points that he got with the Yotes.  He'll probably have career highs with Habs because his new linemates are way better than who he played with on the Yotes.  I can picture him getting 20+ g and 25-30 A with the Habs. 

I think Bergeven did really well here even though he had no leverage.   Probably we give up our own pick in the mid to high teens and keep the Canes in the mid 20s.  So I expect it will cost us 5-10 spots in the draft.   However Carolina's pick might end up in the teens as well.

Realistically I think this makes us better in the long run than if we kept KK.  I would have preferred to keep KK and hope he developed into a quality number 2 but I think that may not happen.  If it does then Carolina really hurt the Habs.  If it doesn't then we end up slightly better than we would have.

14 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... Also, I recently read an article where Drouin claimed he was looking forward to playing Centre again.  I sorta thought that was funny, but then again, he would have more talented wingers so that should have to work out way better than before ..

AND ... he would not be expected to the first line centre ... little less pressure, lower expectations

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Likely better this season. Possibly better next season -- or beyond. For sure, Dvorak is lower risk than Kotkaniemi -- and while he is not 21, he is still only 25 -- with only two more seasons of NHL experience than Kotkaniemi.

And the Habs have $1.6M of additional cap space (than if they had matched), and Dvorak is secured for the next four years.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Ouch...

Also, Dvorak's most frequent line combos from last season for anyone curious: https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/christian-dvorak

Obviously he hadn't been reading the rumours or perhaps he would have waited a few days. 

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Obviously he hadn't been reading the rumours or perhaps he would have waited a few days. 

Once you have signed the agreement, you really have no option but to close.

He'll be happy with the real estate prices in Montreal, though.

3 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

He will also be a big part of the Penalty Kill. Thumbs up MB, once again…