What needs to change our development of players or our scouting of players especially 1st round picks??

Habsfan89

7 minutes ago, DON said:

Are you arguing; that you are happy with how Galchenyuk, Sergachev, KK turned out for the Habs as top 10 picks?

And simply saying or agreeing that 1st round results in general, not looking too good for quite awhile, thats all.

I am satisfied that they were solid draft picks, even if they were subsequently traded. And late-1st picks have a much lower chance of success.

If we're talking development, that's a different discussion. And in that scenario, Suzuki, too, should be part of the discussion, even if we didn't draft him.

Interesting to me that Sergachev has played in NHL the entire time with TB.   Basically third pairing for two season and then a season of second pairing type minutes and this past season played first pairing minutes.

No AHL time there.

KK was given every chance in Mtl and is better off gone, he is a cancer.  I don’t think another season in Finland would have changed his mental health (narcissistic, selfish tendencies) that is going to be his downfall.   He will pout his way out of Carolina when he realizes he cannot earn a spot there and gets less than a quarter of the media and Instagram attention than he did in Mtl.  He is a social media douche.

When we talk about Galchenyuk, who would have been better?  Rielly, ok.... Forsberg, ok.... looking at the rest of the options, he was a good pick.  And dont' go give me someone in the 2nd or third round either who wasn't an option at third overall.  Of the realistic options there, we may not have taken the best player, but we got a good player compared to the class.  I don't expect perfection on picks, but even with 20/20 hindsight we took one of the best players in a tire-fire first round.  Add in that he was traded, and we won that trade, and again won the subsequent trade and I don't think this is bad. 

Sergachev.  Was a good pick.  He's a good player and better than many drafted immediately after him.   You can't blame this on scouting that he was traded. Maybe Charlie McAvoy is the only realistic option who was drafted after (but close) to him who turned out better.

KK, remains to be seen though I do think Hughes (my pick) would have been better.  I was wrong on Tkachuk and he is also better.  Those who wanted Filip Zadina though, the Habs made the right pick by going away from that one.