Riley Kidney    
Jan Mysak    
Charles-Antoine Roy *    
Joshua Roy    
Xavier Simoneau    
Brenden Sirizzotti *    
Jesse Ylönen    

* Invitation/Tryout    

I wonder where Ylonen & Poehling will end up come Oct. on forward depthchart, 1st call ups for injury reasoning is assumption (Ylonen 3rd line, Poehling 3rd/4th line)?

2 hours ago, DON said:

I wonder where Ylonen & Poehling will end up come Oct. on forward depthchart, 1st call ups for injury reasoning is assumption (Ylonen 3rd line, Poehling 3rd/4th line)?

Yeah, they had good seasons in the AHL... but

The taxi squads meant every AHL team was missing their top veterans,  take the top forward, top D, top goalie, and one other player off of nearly every AHL team and then only play half a season and only against 4 opponents and I think both of them need more AHL time in a more normal season. Poehling is likely closer than Ylonen though, both due to the fact he had the AHL the season before as well and is older, and also cause the Habs at C are weaker than on the wing. 

• Upvote 3

Ylonen and Kulak may be the top trading chips the Habs have. Ylonen may end up somewhere else than Montreal and Laval after training camp IMO

Also, Poehling has as high trade value as the two others but is less likely to be traded due to the lack of depth at C; more likely he goes to Laval as a call up 

37 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ylonen and Kulak may be the top trading chips the Habs have. Ylonen may end up somewhere else than Montreal and Laval after training camp IMO

Also, Poehling has as high trade value as the two others but is less likely to be traded due to the lack of depth at C; more likely he goes to Laval as a call up 

I get the sense you think their value is a fair bit higher than it probably is.  Kulak, in particular, is probably quite minimal given the contract relative to the role.  (I know the analytics say he's better than he is but from a trade market standpoint, teams will argue he's the seventh D on an above-market deal for that role.)  The other two might be worth a second rounder on their own which isn't a big deal.

43 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I get the sense you think their value is a fair bit higher than it probably is.  Kulak, in particular, is probably quite minimal given the contract relative to the role.  (I know the analytics say he's better than he is but from a trade market standpoint, teams will argue he's the seventh D on an above-market deal for that role.)  The other two might be worth a second rounder on their own which isn't a big deal.

I should have worded it differently, I agree. They may not be the greates trade chips, but the ones the Habs could move: top of the list to be traded.

You are right, nothing much may come out of a trade centered on this trio

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't see us trading Ylonen.  Not being ready yet, and needing another year in the AHL is not a bad thing. Being able to take a spot in the Habs lineup while on a cheap contract in 2022-23 and 2023-24 will be important. Replacing some of the lower line wingers with cheaper alternates will help the Habs cap wise. He's done all that could have been expected of him to date. Another strong AHL season will show him to be a good player.

I see Kulak as more than that, but as the Habs 7th D, that's a good piece to have.  82 games is a grind and he's going to play his share of games.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I don't see us trading Ylonen.  Not being ready yet, and needing another year in the AHL is not a bad thing. Being able to take a spot in the Habs lineup while on a cheap contract in 2022-23 and 2023-24 will be important. Replacing some of the lower line wingers with cheaper alternates will help the Habs cap wise. He's done all that could have been expected of him to date. Another strong AHL season will show him to be a good player.

I see Kulak as more than that, but as the Habs 7th D, that's a good piece to have.  82 games is a grind and he's going to play his share of games.

but Ylonen is stuck behind Caufield, Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher and Armia.

Even if Ylonen gets improves his game, he won't be able to take a spot on the top 9.

I would package him on a trade to a rebuilding team if the Habs can fill an organizational need (like RD or G)

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Even if Ylonen gets improves his game, he won't be able to take a spot on the top 9.

I would package him on a trade to a rebuilding team if the Habs can fill an organizational need (like RD or G)

But if Ylonen improves his game his trade value goes up ... not certain that 9 goals in 29 AHL games has teams beating down the door to get him, or offering much of value

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He's only 21. Paquette and Perreault only have one-year contracts. Danault has two left, and Toffoli and Hoffman have three. Add in the possibility of a trade, and I expect that Ylonen can likely be on the Habs lineup once he's ready. And playing on an attractive (for the team) ELC.

If improves and is ready to come into the NHL, any of those wingers could be traded for help at a different position at that time. 

So very true ... and also important min a salary cap world.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Will Caufield likely be the only Habs rookie this year to dress opening night?

Likely ... I'll give Norlinder a 7% chance of also being there or perhaps 2% for Guhle

38 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Likely ... I'll give Norlinder a 7% chance of also being there or perhaps 2% for Guhle

I want to see that probability equation, so precise! 😁

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I want to see that probability equation, so precise! 😁

Probability = GF + WAG  (gut feeling plus wild ass guess)

Norlinder 30% for me.

Wow, you rate him that high; thats great to hear.  It's hard for me to know what to think of Norlinder.  I've seen a bunch of clips of him where he looks amazing and is dancing around players with the puck.  However, I have no idea what level of competition he is playing against in any of those clips.  ex:  a really good AHLer should be able to dance around guys who can barely make the OHL, but that obviously doesn't translate to being able to pull off those moves against NHLers.  Being able to do that against NHLers is what matters. 

Norlinder 30% for me.

Seeking clarification ... 30% that he earns a spot should stay ... or ... 30% that he does stay because MB et al decide they need his puck moving skills

22 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Wow, you rate him that high; thats great to hear.  It's hard for me to know what to think of Norlinder.  I've seen a bunch of clips of him where he looks amazing and is dancing around players with the puck.  However, I have no idea what level of competition he is playing against in any of those clips.  ex:  a really good AHLer should be able to dance around guys who can barely make the OHL, but that obviously doesn't translate to being able to pull off those moves against NHLers.  Being able to do that against NHLers is what matters. 

He's been playing in the SHL, a very good league.

NHL
KHL

SHL/AHL

In terms of level of competition. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Seeking clarification ... 30% that he earns a spot should stay ... or ... 30% that he does stay because MB et al decide they need his puck moving skills

30% chance he outplays Chris Wideman and earns a spot based on being the best player for that spot.

30% chance he outplays Chris Wideman and earns a spot based on being the best player for that spot.

Like the others, seems surprisingly high, but good to hear, or is it Wideman just isnt that good.:(

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

He's been playing in the SHL, a very good league.

NHL
KHL

SHL/AHL

In terms of level of competition. 

Thx!! 

Thats another thing that confuses me when I see clips of him.  He looks so damn good it seems insane how he was over looked for an entire draft and was drafted in the 3rd rnd in his 2nd year of eligibility.  That just seems absurd and makes no sense. 

I have think of the Seinfeld ep where Kramer is the Karate champ because his class is full of children.  It makes me wonder about the level of competition Norlinder is playing against.  He pulls off some great moves so flawlessly that it seems as if he could do it 99 times out of 100.  It seems so natural to him that it does look like there is a strong chance that he should be able to do it in the NHL.