Montreal Canadiens Rookie camp 2021-2022

alfredoh2009

6 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Thats another thing that confuses me when I see clips of him.  He looks so damn good it seems insane how he was over looked for an entire draft and was drafted in the 3rd rnd in his 2nd year of eligibility.  That just seems absurd and makes no sense. 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2021/9/11/22668228/kristoffer-naslund-discusses-mattias-norlinder-development-ahead-of-canadiens-development-camp

This fellow speaks to some of his defensive deficiencies or weaknesses, i think similar stuff has been pointed out by others before;

" While Norlinder has been very good offensively, there are still a few questions in regard to his defensive abilities. “Defensively there are still things to work with, but he has become even stronger and that is something we’ll continue to help him with. It is the last bit really, to be consistent, to be meticulous, to be a bit faster in the defensive zone in order to cover his player, and keep the opponent on the outside.”

How do those things translate to the smaller NHL rinks? “With a smaller rink you have to be faster, even if there is less space to cover the game is faster and your thoughts will have to be faster too. His decisions aren’t wrong; when the bad things happen it is usually when he has to swap his coverage and cover a new opponent. I don’t see that as a major problem, it is something that he’ll learn on the job here in Frölunda.”..."

4 hours ago, DON said:

... " While Norlinder has been very good offensively, there are still a few questions in regard to his defensive abilities. “Defensively there are still things to work with ...

The GOOD news is that defence is easier to "coach up" than offensive skills ... the BAD news is that it doesn't always work ... fingers crossed

4 hours ago, DON said:

Not sure how credible these guys are; but, are 5 kids of interest for sure.

https://thehockeywriters.com/montreal-canadiens-rookie-camp-norlinder-guhle/?src=rss

Although I really like RH-P (Lavalagher) my expectations for him is to be no more than a 4th liner on a good team, 3rd liner on a not-even-a-playoff-bubble-team ... so interesting but not exciting

I expect this to be a very important season for Ylonen ... unlikely (to my expectations) to get any large number of games with Habs, but needs to show he can score at a significantly higher AHL pace (19 g/full season last year) to get me excited about his NHL future ... it won't guarantee NHL success (see Corey Locke, Charles, Hudon, etc.) but players rarely improve their scoring moving up the NHL either.

Mysak is very interesting to me ... when he played, he seemed to earn a surprising degree of trust from Bouchard for an 18 yr-old OHL refugee ... his season in the OHL will be very informative.

My fear for Guhle is that he is that he looks good enough to be rushed into the NHL this season ... it is possible he might be ready defensively, but I would prefer have at least another year to grow into his offensive potential (whatever it is) in the WHL (although last season he was "on pace" for 32 goals/64 points/+64 last season with Prince Albert ... LOL ... he played 2 games)

Norlinder will be under the fan/media microscope ... he is the true hope for a "new" rookie to make the team ... hoping for the best

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

The GOOD news is that defence is easier to "coach up" than offensive skills ... 

Easier...hmmm, defense is a tough position to play at NHL speed and especially when getting booed by fickle fans when a speedy or big strong forward walks around, or muscles you out of way for an easy one.

And Commandant noted he recently was benched for poor defensive play, at SHL speed.

But could really use his offense and skating for sure.

46 minutes ago, DON said:

Easier...hmmm, defense is a tough position to play at NHL speed and especially when getting booed by fickle fans when a speedy or big strong forward walks around, or muscles you out of way for an easy one.

And Commandant noted he recently was benched for poor defensive play, at SHL speed.

But could really use his offense and skating for sure.

None of which I disagree with ... but said it is easier to TEACH defence than offence, not play ... but also said it doesn't mean that the teaching will take ... if his defence is atrocious he would need ridiculously great offence to stay in the line-up

I don't expect Norlinder to ever be a top pair, shut down, put him out there against the other team's best lines and kill penalties type of defenceman.  I don't think he ever becomes that.  But if he becomes what Mike Reilly was for Ottawa/Boston last year, thats going to take him a long way. 

Impressive pts., but small overager.

"One player who can really be inspired by Desharnais at this year’s rookie camp is 5-foot-8, 166-pound right-winger Cédric Desruisseaux, an undrafted 21-year-old who posted 42-36-78 totals in 40 games last season with the Charlottetown Islanders to lead the QMJHL in scoring."

3 hours ago, DON said:

Impressive pts., but small overager.

"One player who can really be inspired by Desharnais at this year’s rookie camp is 5-foot-8, 166-pound right-winger Cédric Desruisseaux, an undrafted 21-year-old who posted 42-36-78 totals in 40 games last season with the Charlottetown Islanders to lead the QMJHL in scoring."

Second coming of David Desharnais?

22 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Second coming of David Desharnais?

that would be sweet ... even better would be non-Hab Martin St-Louis (also undrafted) ... and either would be infinitely better than the second coming of Corey Locke (who like Desruisseaux also led his league in goals and points his final junior season)

Ivan Zhigalov (19 yr-old goaltender of the Sherbrooke Phoenix) was invited to the rookie camp but has as yet been unable to leave Belarus (bureaucratic reasons - presumably Belarusian) ... too bad for the young man ... would be/have-been a great opportunity to show his wares and adjust to the North American game/ice-surface before reporting to Sherbrooke ... wonder if they have an alternate lined up.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Ivan Zhigalov (19 yr-old goaltender of the Sherbrooke Phoenix) was invited to the rookie camp but has as yet been unable to leave Belarus (bureaucratic reasons - presumably Belarusian) ... too bad for the young man ... would be/have-been a great opportunity to show his wares and adjust to the North American game/ice-surface before reporting to Sherbrooke ... wonder if they have an alternate lined up.

Probably not as they still have Vrbetic and Gravel (who they want to evaluate for a spot in Trois-Rivieres) and they're only playing three games.  Also, given the various rules for quarantining, if there was a replacement lined up, he'd probably have needed to be there already.  Gravel will probably get two games and Vrbetic one.

Pretty good job (IMO) for a young man's first trip into the Montreal Media Fishbowl ... serious/cautious but calm and relaxed ... very well spoken ... good to hear that he usually played on the right-side but had started on the left-side this season, gives him and the Habs flexibility

No surprise he is rumoured (favoured?) to be Team Canada's Captain at the 2022 WJHC ... he handles himself very well.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

William Trudeau ties it up on what sounded like a wraparound.  He's a defenceman.  Those two things generally don't go together.

It is funny to see a dman score on a wrap around.  That certainly isnt common but it does happen once in a while. 

Didn't 1 of the Habs dmen do it last season?  I vaguely recall that happening, where someone scored on a wrap around and I couldnt see their # and as soon as I did I was shocked at the play. 

Thx for the game link!!