Do Habs get the respect they deserve in making the 2021-2022 playoffs ?

alfredoh2009

Interesting article from Terry Costaris:

http://www.habsworld.net/2021/09/the-rodney-dangerfield-canadiens/

<<A comparable to the Canadiens are the New York Islanders>>

I agree with a lot of the points, but would like to read what others think of the quality and chances of the Habs in the coming season

Only guess i saw so far (a month ago or so), was 23rd place finish. 

If Petry, Price or Suzuki get sidelined for extended period, 23rd it could easily be.

If all the stars align and no key long term injuries, i would say that they should sneak into playoffs.:spamafote:

• dlbalr changed the title to Do Habs get the respect they deserve in making the 2021-2022 playoffs ?

Unless Price returns to 2014/15 form I expect the team will be in the fight for a bubble-spot ... would love to be wrong (in the positive direction ... although given the reputed quality of this season's draft the negative direction might have some potential benefits).

The stretches Petry goes quiet, obviously could use a 2nd top-four offensive d-man; who is in that role, Wideman is best they got eh?

Kinda assume will need to use winger depth to trade for upgrade on that, at some point this season.

Do most top teams have 2 capable puck movers in top-4, who are also average or better in own end? 

4 hours ago, DON said:

The stretches Petry goes quiet, obviously could use a 2nd top-four offensive d-man; who is in that role, Wideman is best they got eh?

Kinda assume will need to use winger depth to trade for upgrade on that, at some point this season.

Do most top teams have 2 capable puck movers in top-4, who are also average or better in own end? 

The most likely trade targets are pending UFAs.

There are 7 such RHD (perhaps the obvious target) who played 17 minutes or more per game last season and had 0.3 pts/gm or more (i.e., better than all Habs D but Petry and Weber last season:
    Kris Letang (PIT - 0.82 ), John Klingberg (DAL - 0.68), Justin Schultz (WSH - 0.59), P.K. Subban (NJD - 0.43), Rasmus Ristolainen (PHI - 0.37),

Josh Manson (ANA - 0.30) and Ryan Pulock (NYI - 0.30)

There are 8 LHD that fit that bill (it would require some juggling of the D-Corps, luckily Edmonson has played RHD previously):   Morgan Rielly (TOR - 0.64, Nick Leddy (DET - 0.55), Keith Yandle (PHI - 0.48), Mattias Ekholm (NSH - 0.48), Will Butcher (BUF - 0.48), Mark Giordano (SEA - 0.46),
   Alex Goligoski (MIN - 0.39), Hampus Lindholm (ANA - 0.33)

In the near-term Manson and Lindholm might be the best targets (unless the Ducks get Eichel and leapfrog stages in their rebuild), maybe Ekholm ... others would be perhaps be more deadline-ish if available at all.

EDIT: For what very little it is worth, Hockey30 "reporting" that MB & Bob Murray chatting

All last season, I kept in reserve the possibility that the Habs might be like the 2012 LA Kings - a bubble team that turned out to be “built for the playoffs.” And that hopeful possibility turns out to have been correct.

However, imagine if the Kings had not won, but lost handily in the Finals. And imagine that Drew Doughty had been 35 years old and immediately after the playoffs was revealed to be so badly injured that his career is likely over.

Nobody would then have been picking those Kings to be an elite team in 2013. 

So, we’re like that parallel-universe version of the LA Kings.

I think this group has a solid chance to make the playoffs, and, once in the playoffs, to be a tough “out.” Much like last season. But I certainly wouldn’t peg them as top-tier contenders.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

All last season, I kept in reserve the possibility that the Habs might be like the 2012 LA Kings - a bubble team that turned out to be “built for the playoffs.” And that hopeful possibility turns out to have been correct ...

I remain somewhat concerned that they might not even have made it to the semi-finals if not for Covid ... would thay have even made the playoffs in the "normal" Atlantic Division/Eastern Conference with the various challenges they faced last season? ... and while if they made the playoffs they might have drawn the Laffs (perennial playoff choke-artists) in the first round but I expect the second round opponent would have been tougher (quite possibly Tampa) ... I true do NOT mean to disrespect what the Habs accomplished, teams can only play who they draw ... but even with Weber healthy I have concern that the 20/21 Cup Final run may have been somewhat overrated in projecting the 21/22 regular season.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think this group has a solid chance to make the playoffs, and, once in the playoffs, to be a tough “out.” Much like last season. But I certainly wouldn’t peg them as top-tier contenders.

Yes. Assuming no major injuries, I think the Habs can make the playoffs, and possibly win a round or two, depending on the opponents. But they are definitely not a Cup contender at this point.

I don't think it's realistic to place a team lacking a top pair d-man as a shoo-in to make the playoffs.  This is a bubble team with current blueline in place IMO.  Still don't have that top pair puck mover / PP QB we so desperately need.

Are the Habs noticeably better than Florida, TB, Boston, and Toronto in order to consider a playoff birth a lock? No, they are not.  Can they be better? Sure, I guess. Their past two performances in the regular season were not terribly impressive.

Well we saw what happen in the playoffs when our key guys got hurt especially Weber and Petry, we just couldn't generate offense.  This year division and conference will be back to normal , which means we got to Be better than anyone of these team's. 

Tampa 

Toronto 

Boston 

Washington 

Pittsburgh 

Carolina 

Florida 

NYI

Philadelphia 

I believe the team's above I mentioned will be playoff team's. Now are we better than anyone of them? Do we have the depth to compete with them?

I know we're better than these none playoff team's 

Ottawa 

Buffalo 

Detroit 

NJ

Blue Jackets 

NYR

So I think it's going to be a battle with 

Montreal 

Philadelphia 

NYI

Florida 

For those last 2 playoff spots.  If we're healthy we're in. If we get injuries look for the usual tail spins around Christmas time and again around trade deadline time. And our usual draft pick in between 15-20. 

We got lucky the last 2 years which is why media will over look us. Much like they do every year. But key points you will hear in all media review of the habs will be strong on the wings, question marks down the middle at center, question marks in net and on D.  

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

I don't think it's realistic to place a team lacking a top pair d-man as a shoo-in to make the playoffs.  This is a bubble team with current blueline in place IMO.  Still don't have that top pair puck mover / PP QB we so desperately need.

Jeff Petry is a top pair dman.  I'd say that even with Weber on the team, he has been our #1 defenceman. 

The issue is missing a second pair PMD...   we need to get someone who can support Petry.  Don't think we need to get a number 1

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

I don't think anyone said "shoo-in". CC said "solid chance" and I said "I think the Habs can make the playoffs".

Its hard to say for sure, but I think they are in a much better place to make the playoffs then not, especially when you consider their issues over the last few seasons.  Numerous of their issues that were previously making them a bubble team per se seem to have been fixed.  

The acquisition of Dvorak should be big.  ex:  he will improve their PP, PK, he's way more offensive than Danault, and he's likely good in OT, and be a shooter in any SO too.  i.e. for several years the Habs were losing points stupidly, they had a bunch of games where they should have won but they ended up with 0 or 1 point.  With Dvorak, they should win more of those games, so they should be able to finish several points higher than the previous years where they barely missed the playoffs.  That itself should put them in the playoffs. 

Similarly, the same idea with Allen too.  Another big part of their bubble team issue was a lack of a decent backup G, and thats been fixed.  i.e. they've had Allen for 1 season, and made the playoffs.  If and when Price cant play they have a much better chance at wining those game with Allen then without him. 

The Habs have had a crap ton of 1 goal games, that they've lost; along with tied games that they lose in extra time.  A lot of those 1 goal loses should now be ties, and most of their tie games should now be games they win.  Its not like every time they dont make the playoffs that they have been way off the mark.  Usually, when they fail to make the playoffs, its only by 2-3 games.  Dvorak and Allen should help them win numerous of those really close games where in previous years they lost those games and missed the payoffs by 4-6 pts. 

Then there is the Caufield co-factor as well.  He should be at a minimum a 30 goals scorer, if not close to 40 or more.  Having him play for an entire season should also be a huge help to make the playoffs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... Then there is the Caufield co-factor as well.  He should be at a minimum a 30 goals scorer, if not close to 40 or more.  Having him play for an entire season should also be a huge help to make the playoffs.

Eventually, I agree ... maybe even this season ... but I wouldn't take it as a given.

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Eventually, I agree ... maybe even this season ... but I wouldn't take it as a given.

If Caufield is not scoring 25-30 goals playing on the top line? Why would he play on the top line? The Habs have other players that would score 25-30 goals in that spot... just saying :spamafote:

21 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Petry is all that and more.

He has improved year upon year and shown no sign of decline. He will shine in the increased role and can QB a PP fine given there is also more offensive options to leverage (Hoff, CC, Suzuki, Toff can al finish).  And Petry has a bomb, plus a quick release wrister that can beat goalies.

Potential Norris candidate year for him.

21 hours ago, huzer said:

Are the Habs noticeably better than Florida, TB, Boston, and Toronto in order to consider a playoff birth a lock? No, they are not.  Can they be better? Sure, I guess. Their past two performances in the regular season were not terribly impressive.

IMHO

TO got worse this off-season, Boston did as well.

No reason a healthy Habs team cannot split or win season series here.

TB is still a juggernaut. Any W’s here will be a bonus for most part.

FLA is the biggest question mark for me.  I don’t like their winger depth, but they’ve been steadily improving year after year and will be physically intimidating and tough to play against.   I do believe a split of season series is possible.

If the Habs do as well as I’ve described against divisional heavyweights/contenders, They have a chance….

So I see the biggest cause for concern is how poorly the Habs usually seem to play against the bottom of the division.

They’ll have to have a killer instinct going up against Sabres, Sens and Wings. Any loss of points to these teams is unacceptable.  No disrespect to those teams as it will not be easy.

No nights off, Habs are not good enough to take any team lightly, but good enough to compete with the best.

Is this a team that can play that way for 100+ games? 
I believe so, I think there is good leadership and attitude with this group so staying healthy is paramount.

20 hours ago, Commandant said:

Jeff Petry is a top pair dman.  I'd say that even with Weber on the team, he has been our #1 defenceman. 

The issue is missing a second pair PMD...   we need to get someone who can support Petry.  Don't think we need to get a number 1

Agreed, and doesn’t need to be an offensive producer (or PP qP) as much as reliable defensively with a good first pass, creativity in relieving pressure other than to ice it/pin the puck to the boards.  I believe it is in the pipeline but not ready yet. Hoping Romy can make that step and take the second pairing slot, push Ben to 3rd pair.

Savard / Chiarot pairing is not going to provide the elements described above.  One of them has to slide down IMO, assuming Romy progresses and I think he will, he won’t be a healthy scratch ever again.

19 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Its hard to say for sure, but I think they are in a much better place to make the playoffs then not, especially when you consider their issues over the last few seasons.  Numerous of their issues that were previously making them a bubble team per se seem to have been fixed.  

The acquisition of Dvorak should be big.  ex:  he will improve their PP, PK, he's way more offensive than Danault, and he's likely good in OT, and be a shooter in any SO too.  i.e. for several years the Habs were losing points stupidly, they had a bunch of games where they should have won but they ended up with 0 or 1 point.  With Dvorak, they should win more of those games, so they should be able to finish several points higher than the previous years where they barely missed the playoffs.  That itself should put them in the playoffs. 

Similarly, the same idea with Allen too.  Another big part of their bubble team issue was a lack of a decent backup G, and thats been fixed.  i.e. they've had Allen for 1 season, and made the playoffs.  If and when Price cant play they have a much better chance at wining those game with Allen then without him. 

The Habs have had a crap ton of 1 goal games, that they've lost; along with tied games that they lose in extra time.  A lot of those 1 goal loses should now be ties, and most of their tie games should now be games they win.  Its not like every time they dont make the playoffs that they have been way off the mark.  Usually, when they fail to make the playoffs, its only by 2-3 games.  Dvorak and Allen should help them win numerous of those really close games where in previous years they lost those games and missed the payoffs by 4-6 pts. 

Then there is the Caufield co-factor as well.  He should be at a minimum a 30 goals scorer, if not close to 40 or more.  Having him play for an entire season should also be a huge help to make the playoffs.

Good points. 

Factor in the improved PP (I predict) since there are far more tools available than just the bomb from Webs.  Petry can QB a PP.

Suzuki could very well be poised to become a true #1 C, which has been an issue for how long?   
Caufield has shown to disprove the naysayers his whole career and is obv a natural offensive stud.  Normally I keep expectations low for these young players but he’s never need much adjustment time and is already here, on the scene, living rent free in the back of goalies minds.

I am happily boarding the positive outlook train and riding it into 2022. 

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

Potential Norris candidate year for him.

He hasnt ever even been nominated before has he?

He is going on 34 and seem to be numerous better d-men; but, hope you are correct, he stays healthy and he has another solid year at least.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DON said:

He hasnt ever even been nominated before has he?

He is going on 34 and seem to be numerous better d-men; but, hope you are correct, he stays healthy and he has another solid year at least.

he was in the mix last year, before he wen to a slump at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

he was in the mix last year, before he wen to a slump at the end of the season.

He looks like a rock star for stretches but comes back to earth as most good but not great players do.

But, he was on a 62.6pt pace last year and anything close to that would be awesome.