2021-22 Laval General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

I had been meaning to do the offseason thread for Laval for a while but couldn't find the time to put it together during the summer.  Now that training camp is almost here, we might as well start the season thread already with the list of changes.

New Players

(Including those on AHL deals, excluding ECHL-only contracts)

F Peter Abbandonato (Syracuse, AHL)

F Jean-Christophe Beaudin (Belleville, AHL)

D Charles-David Beaudoin (Black Wings, Austria)

D Louie Belpedio (Iowa, AHL)

F Gabriel Bourque (DNP)

F Jean-Sebastien Dea (Rochester, AHL)

D Tory Dello (Grand Rapids, AHL)

F Cedric Desruisseaux (Charlottetown, QMJHL)

F Justin Ducharme (Val-d'Or, QMJHL)

F Gianni Fairbrother (Everett, WHL)

F Alexandre Fortin (Colorado, AHL)

F Brandon Gignac (Jacksonville, ECHL)

F Danick Martel (Binghamton, AHL)

D Carl Neill (Aalborg, Denmark)

G Kevin Poulin (Bjorkloven, Allsvenskan)

F Kevin Roy (Tucson, AHL)

F Shawn St-Amant (Gyergyoi, Romania)

Departures

F Joseph Blandisi (unsigned UFA)

G Vasili Demchenko (Avangard Omsk, KHL)

D Cale Fleury (Seattle, NHL)

D Nathanael Halbert (Coventry, EIHL)

F Liam Hawel (St. Francis Xavier, USports)

D Jacob LeGuerrier (unsigned UFA)

D Otto Leskinen (Jokerit, KHL)

G Charlie Lindgren (St. Louis, NHL)

F Jan Mysak (Hamilton, OHL)*

D Gustav Olofsson (Seattle, NHL)

D Tristan Pomerleau (Manitoba, AHL)

F Yannick Veilleux (Berlin, DEL)
F Jordan Weal (Kazan, KHL)

*- Mysak is eligible to play in Laval but Trevor Timmins indicated this summer they plan to send him to junior.

Projected Depth Chart

^-subject to waivers

*-subject to AHL veteran rule

(Ryan Poehling is in the NHL in this scenario)

Harvey-Pinard - Roy - Belzile^

Martel* - Dea^* - Ylonen

Teasdale - Dauphin^* - Vejdemo^

Baddock^ - Beaudin - Bourque*

Spares: Abbandonato, Lucchini, Pezzetta^

ECHL-bound: Desruisseaux, Ducharme, Fortin, Gignac, Hillis, Khisamutdinov, St-Amant

Ouellet^* - Brook

Schueneman - Belpedio^

Fairbrother - Bisson

Spares: Dello

ECHL-bound: Amorosa, Beaudoin, Neill

Primeau

McNiven^

Poulin

Veteran Rule

A maximum of five skaters with 320 career professional games* played (as of the start of the season) can dress per night.  Teams can also dress an additional skater with between 260-319 professional GP as a sixth veteran (more than one in this group can play if there are fewer than five veterans with 320+ GP).  (Martel qualifies for that one.)

*Qualifying leagues towards the veteran GP calculation: NHL, AHL, NLA, Czech Extraliga, Slovak Extraliga, KHL, SHL, SM-liiga, and DEL. Only regular season games count towards the calculation.

• dlbalr pinned this topic
50 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It was announced today that RDS will carry all 36 of Laval's home games this season.  That's good news.

Great news ... with TVA covering 25 or more of the Lions home games (almost all) there will be LOTS of Habs related hockey to watch this season.

9 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Rocket is US$65/year, not so bad if I can make time to watch a bunch of games. But Flo Hockey is US$300/year! When all I would be interested in is one ECHL team, that's a crazy price.

If you have access to Bell File there is a new Sports Franco package (scroll down the page) with just those 5 channels ($10/month).

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If you have access to Bell File there is a new Sports Franco package (scroll down the page) with just those 5 channels ($10/month).

$10/month is very nice indeed if you already have Fibe TV. If you don't, though (and we don't) it turns into $40/month (plus taxes).

With the AHL highly unlikely to get an exemption to the quarantine requirements for people traveling into the country from the US... I guess one of our best prospects is only playing home games (and Belleville, Toronto etc).

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

With the AHL highly unlikely to get an exemption to the quarantine requirements for people traveling into the country from the US... I guess one of our best prospects is only playing home games (and Belleville, Toronto etc).

I haven't read the article but it seems like he is refusing to get vaccinated. I was hoping he could be packaged with Kulak in a trade, but now even that is going o be nearly impossible.

I hope he comes around on the vaccinne.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

It's not only the games he couldn't play due to travel restrictions but also the risk he poses to the team by being more susceptible to Covid ... both because he would then miss more games and he could then potentially spread it within the team ... wonder if they would loan him back to a SM-liiga team (likely? his former team the Pelicans)

Not clear what the reason is but if it were medical I think they would likely say that.

If he won't get vaccinated he'll end up missing a third of the Rocket games (in the US) and be unlikely to get called up to the Habs. Unfortunate for the Habs -- and it's also an impact on Ylonen's career.

Are non-vaccinated players allowed to practice with N H L players?

Does the Quebec regulations allow those without a vaccine passport to travel and practice with the AHL team?

16 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Are non-vaccinated players allowed to practice with N H L players?

Does the Quebec regulations allow those without a vaccine passport to travel and practice with the AHL team?

Same question for Ontario (Belleville and TO games), Manitoba (couple of games against the Moose) and BC (couple of games against Abbotsford).

5 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

Wow.

I’ve invested nearly every year of my life to become a pro hockey player but I’ll throw it all away over a vaccine mandate. Peak 2021.

This.

Let's see whether sanity might yet prevail once he fully understands the situation.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Could turn out to be Rocket depth ... also wonder who his agent might be (perhaps the PTO is a favour to his representative)

28 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Pat Brisson (CAA) is his agent.

Now a good chance that it was a favour to MB's buddy Brisson ... not that it may not turn out to provide a veteran for Laval

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Eichel trade incoming.  (e4)

homer-laughing-gif-2.gif&ehk=9GqrjpOv0v9    a6440e3e8a29ac9237096f314f986c6e.gif