2021-22 Laval General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

I have never been as intrigued as this season by the AHL training camp:

* new coaching staff

* new ECHL affiliate, meaning more players fighting for spots

* some interesting late rounders from other organizations

I am interested in findout how these players perform:

* Kevin Poulin as backup letting both Primeau (AHL) and McNiven (ECHL) play lots of games

* Gabriel Bourque

* J-C Beaudin

* Xhekaj (whom I have liked during the NHL training camp)

I am surprised to see Matthieu Brodeur, Julien nantel, Olivier Galipeu and Cédric Montminy whom I do not remember from the other camps.

Edited by alfredoh2009
added Julien Nantel

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am surprised to see Matthieu Brodeur, Olivier Galipeu and Cédric Montminy whom I do not remember from the other camps.

I know Galipeau is signed to Trois-Rivieres, I assume the others are as well.

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Is that the Habs. old Olivier Archambeau coming back?

Yep.

Olivier is with the Lions, as well as the others. Nice to see how the farm teams are working together and the depth it may add to the Habs

The ECHL guys are basically just training camp fodder.  Alexis D'Aoust (signed to T-R) was invited but declined, preferring to go somewhere where he thought he'd have a shot at a roster spot.  They have enough there to get through their preseason (they'll get four more tomorrow) so the Habs could conceivably keep the bigger group through the end of the preseason before sending the last big group of cuts down.

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The ECHL guys are basically just training camp fodder.  Alexis D'Aoust (signed to T-R) was invited but declined, preferring to go somewhere where he thought he'd have a shot at a roster spot.  They have enough there to get through their preseason (they'll get four more tomorrow) so the Habs could conceivably keep the bigger group through the end of the preseason before sending the last big group of cuts down.

I am not surprised about D'Aoust ,I expect ECHLers and AHLers to move around if they see a better possibility somewhere else.

I am just happy that the Habs have an ECHL club and that there is a place where a McNiven, Khisamutdinov or Paquette-Bisson can go if the AHL team is brimming with talent.

I also hope that T-R becomes a net any undrafted or unsigned players from Quebec that may develop later. The CHL draft rules makes it risky to draft player due to the shorter time to sign them to a professional contract; I hope that having the ECHL farm club will help with that.

Dea, Daphin, McNiven cleared waivers and will change the lineup, but here is a first look at the lines for the first day of the Rocket's training camp:

56 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm not starting a thread for this one but here's Laval's lineup for their first preseason game:

I am happy to see Vejdemo at centre and Hillis in the lineup 

11 hours ago, tomh009 said:

2-1 Marlies ... so that was it? Only two pre-season games?

Yep, the preseason is over for them now.  They don't need as long of a preseason since most of the players were already in NHL camps with lots playing in a game or two so it comes together a bit quicker.  The regular season gets underway for Laval on Friday when they start a home-and-home with Belleville.

56 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Here's hoping they don't need him in Laval too often, he didn't look good with the Habs in the preseason and struggled in his lone preseason game with Laval too.

He played his junior hockey in Victoriaville (45 minutes from TR on the south shore of the St Lawrence) so at least he is likely somewhat familiar with the city ... 

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Laval traded Jake Lucchini to Belleville yesterday for future considerations.  Not sure what the logic was there.

https://bellevillesens.com/21006-2/

number of contracts?

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He's on an AHL contract, not an NHL one and there's no limit to the number of AHL contracts a team can have.

I didn't think Laval had an overabundance of forwards. Or do they?

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I didn't think Laval had an overabundance of forwards. Or do they?

Not really.  They're carrying 15 to start the season with Teasdale injured and Belzile the only forward they have a shot at getting back from Montreal.  They have a few recall options in Trois-Rivieres but it certainly isn't an overabundance by any stretch.

No Hillis on the projected lineup :(

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

No Hillis on the projected lineup :(

That's not a surprise.  He's someone that should be in Trois-Rivieres right now.  He needs ice time and not just 8 minutes a game on the 4th line at best in Laval.