2021-22 Laval General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

53 minutes ago, DON said:

I first thought was simply some depth AHL guy for playoffs, with no real NHL upside (24yr old already) 

Same age as Pezzetta. Younger than Evans or Dauphin.

Darien Kielb was released from his PTO and Justin Ducharme was sent back to Trois-Rivieres.  Kielb did well on his tryout but Nicolas Mattinen appears to be turning some heads and has moved up a couple of spots on the depth chart already.  Ducharme going down makes sense.

Tory Dello and Cam Hillis were back at practice today so it appears they'll be the next ones to come back.

Kevin Poulin is sick so Tristan Berube has been signed to a PTO to serve as Primeau's backup this afternoon.

Meanwhile, Josh Brook was sent to Trois-Rivieres yesterday.  He needs playing time to work off the rust and with Laval being in the thick of a playoff race right now, they can't give it to him.

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2022 at 1:00 PM, dlbalr said:

Kevin Poulin is sick so Tristan Berube has been signed to a PTO to serve as Primeau's backup this afternoon.

So ... Berube is the #1 in Laval now, with Primeau recalled to Montreal? And who will be the backup?

Our goalie injury situation has been absolutely terrible this year.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

So ... Berube is the #1 in Laval now, with Primeau recalled to Montreal? And who will be the backup?

Our goalie injury situation has been absolutely terrible this year.

With Poulin's thing being non-COVID, he could be good to play tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Good news for Laval: They got Jesse Ylonen back after the Winnipeg game last night.

Bad news for Laval: Belzile is sick, Bourque and Paquette are hurt (third time already for Paquette), and Heineman was injured in Sweden and there's no timeline for when he'll actually be ready to play for the Rocket.

Les Boys de Laval

• Like 1

Maybe Montembeault will not be considered as an option for Laval

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

One has nothing to do with the other.  Montembeault can't play for Laval this season.  This PTO deal is for someone that can play this season.

thanks

47 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I guess they don't want to raid TR for another goalie ...

It's more that they can't go there, that's why they've been previously signing guys from other ECHL teams.  Their two main goalies right now are under contract to Winnipeg and Vancouver.   This one is at least a player they won't have to release in a few days to let him go back to his ECHL team.

good article on JF Houle in Laval (article in French:

<<L'autre élément à prendre en considération pour évaluer le travail de l'homme de hockey de 47 ans, c'est le départ de Marc Bergevin et son principal lieutenant, Scott Mellanby, qui avaient un gros mot à dire sur la gestion des effectifs à Laval. Ces deux départs ont augmenté la charge de travail de Houle, qui s'est retrouvé à gérer les nombreux mouvements de personnel de son équipe, de concert avec John Sedgwick, désormais directeur général adjoint des Canadiens. >>

my loose translation:

* Marc Bergevin and Scott Melamby used to manage closely the AHL roster/movement

* after their exit, JF Houle has been handling most of the work, in conjunction with Sedgwick

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

my loose translation:

* Marc Bergevin and Scott Melamby used to manage closely the AHL roster/movement

* after their exit, JF Houle has been handling most of the work, in conjunction with Sedgwick

That's something I hope gets fixed up as a coach shouldn't be handling a bunch of the management side of things as well.  I expect Sedgwick should take on a bigger role over time or they bring someone else in to be a director of hockey ops for Laval and Trois-Rivieres combined.