2021-22 Laval General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

But I already jumped...  Not saying he's wrong but that is a frequent line that's used for a lot of other things, including to avoid embarrassing a player.

like Oullet, Belpedio, and other AHLers that once had NHL potential. I get it

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

like Oullet, Belpedio, and other AHLers that once had NHL potential. I get it

I don't recall a line of 'not being available due to personal reasons' being used on any of those players this season.  There's no real basis of comparison between them - who are playing - and Brook, who couldn't crack Laval's lineup and was sent to the ECHL where he struggled considerably down the stretch.

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I don't recall a line of 'not being available due to personal reasons' being used on any of those players this season.  There's no real basis of comparison between them - who are playing - and Brook, who couldn't crack Laval's lineup and was sent to the ECHL where he struggled considerably down the stretch.

Armia (twice?), Petry, Drouin, at the NHL level. If I am not mistaken, Niku in the AHL

Your first three are NHL players, not career AHLers like Belpedio, Ouellet, and others as you were trying to compare Brook's situation to.  Niku's was directly specified as the birth of his child, not left as generic 'personal reasons'.

At any rate, none of these have anything to do with Brook so I'm not sure where you're going with this.  Yes, it's possible that a personal situation happened to rise immediately after Trois-Rivieres' season ended.  However, it's also possible that they decided he didn't play well enough to justify a recall and instead of embarrassing him by making that known, they're being respectful and saying he's unavailable due to a personal situation.  I'm inclined to believe the latter is the true one based on the abruptness of his demotion with the comments from the coaches and his poor performance down the stretch following that demotion.

Armia left for Finland for the birth of his child, so there was definitely a personal reason behind it. And his absence would not have hurt the team in the race for last place, so they agreed.

Petry, definitely personal. I think Drouin's issues have been with mental health, so not quite the same thing (they may have been explained as "personal reasons" at the time though).

Houle makes playoffs and ...

Perhaps not ultimately the greatest decision by Joel.

Can't say I saw that coming.  Obviously, the new Anaheim GM has a different vision for the type of coach he wants in the minors.  San Diego didn't have a great year (though they qualified for the play-in series) but they also didn't have a particularly strong team.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Can't say I saw that coming.  Obviously, the new Anaheim GM has a different vision for the type of coach he wants in the minors.  San Diego didn't have a great year (though they qualified for the play-in series) but they also didn't have a particularly strong team.

it gives more credibility to Dale Weise's comment on Bouchard saying he was a terrible coach

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

it gives more credibility to Dale Weise's comment on Bouchard saying he was a terrible coach

That was my first thought as well.  But it also could be Verbeek putting his own stamp on the team since the AHL coaching staff was hired by Bob Murray.  There's also an NHL assistant coach leaving so this could be nothing more than Verbeek wanting to bring in his people. 

Bourque-Schnarr-Teasdale, eh?!

http://www.habsworld.net/2022/05/hw-3-stars-aprils-top-prospects-6/

I haven't watched too many games, but last time I listened on the radio they seemed to generate tons of scoring chances and energy.

Laval vs Rochester for the second round (I'm not calling it the third round like the AHL is, the play-in round is a play-in round, not the first round).  The Rocket will have home ice advantage since Rochester was the play-in team.

• Upvote 1

I'm curious as to which games will actually be on RDS.  Looking at their online schedule, none of the home games that they typically show are listed on there.  Might it be online only for all 5?  

12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

image.png

Took me a moment to realize it is the Americans 2021-22 leading scorers (honestly had no idea who plays for them) ... do the highlights have any significance?  ... guessing it might players that Buffalo sent down to bolster the roster.

QUESTION FOR THE MORE EXPERT:

Could The Rocket offer Wright a PTO or ATO to join Laval for the rest of the playoffs?  ... not suggesting they should, if it is possible, just wondering ...  I expect PTO/ATOs are likely limited to players who have gone through at least one draft and not been selected, or selected by the team making the offer ... but couldn't find detailed rules.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Took me a moment to realize it is the Americans 2021-22 leading scorers (honestly had no idea who plays for them) ... do the highlights have any significance?  ... guessing it might players that Buffalo sent down to bolster the roster.

I just tossed it here WITHOUT comments sorry.

Prow is UFA this summer, Fitzgerald is RFA next season. Both are RDs and may replace a Lagesson, Niku or Clague.

Biro is RFA this season

Green circles are BUF prospects to watch

Edited by alfredoh2009
fixing typo, sorry for just posting without comments

58 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

QUESTION FOR THE MORE EXPERT:

Could The Rocket offer Wright a PTO or ATO to join Laval for the rest of the playoffs?  ... not suggesting they should, if it is possible, just wondering ...  I expect PTO/ATOs are likely limited to players who have gone through at least one draft and not been selected, or selected by the team making the offer ... but couldn't find detailed rules.

No, it's not possible.  He's draft-eligible so that's not an option.  Montreal can do it with a guy like Kidney since they drafted him already and it can also be done by overagers who aren't draft-eligible now but Wright can't.

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

No, it's not possible.  He's draft-eligible so that's not an option.  Montreal can do it with a guy like Kidney since they drafted him already and it can also be done by overagers who aren't draft-eligible now but Wright can't.

As I expected ... but couldn't find proof ... thanks for confirming.

Boy! I wish any of the Habs prospects in Laval would be this deadly during the current Rocket playoff run:

Ylonen? Teasdale?!  Harvey-Pinard? Norlinder?

Niku is showing flashes and I've liked what Schnarr has done... but nothing that would lessen the feeling of sucking this year and probably tanking next

Danick, freaking, Martel:

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Boy! I wish any of the Habs prospects in Laval would be this deadly during the current Rocket playoff run:

Ylonen? Teasdale?!  Harvey-Pinard? Norlinder?

Norlinder has gotten a little better each game and Harvey-Pinard had his best game last night which is hopefully a good step in the right direction.  But I agree, it has largely been the veterans (aside from Primeau) that have stepped up so far.  Ylonen, in particular, has been a little too quiet for my liking.