2021-22 Laval General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

I think they'll resign all RFAs

Out of the UFAs, I would like them to bring back Niku before Ouellet and Dea before Vejdemo

Ouellet is the captain but there are too many LDs that would need minutes next season in Laval

Niku brings offense and creativity with the puck, something lacking in the Habs organization

image.png

At least some of us had high hopes for Brook, that he would eventually be able to lay claim to a regular spot on the Habs' D corps. However, this just reinforces the fact that fewer than half of the second-round picks become NHL regulars.

Not sure what thread should be in, but no surprise here.

Hope his size dosent impact his game too much turning pro.

That was the expected outcome for Simoneau.  I'm not overly optimistic about him as while Harvey-Pinard plays a style of game that makes him effective in more of an energy role, I'm not sure Simoneau has that in him.  I wouldn't be shocked if he's in Trois-Rivieres with some regularity next season where he can play in more of an offensive role.

11 hours ago, DON said:

Good signing? Was it expected?

He wanted a two-year deal to sign so it's a bit surprising.  However, AHL free agency opened up last week so there clearly wasn't a two-year offer out there.  I'm curious to see what the veteran situation looks like in Laval next season as I expect there's going to be a bit more turnover than usual on that front (and there is usually a lot of turnover to begin with).

Two more signings for Laval today - 28-year-old winger Brennan Saulnier who is a prototypical fourth liner who will hit people and take penalties.  The other is forward Ryan Francis, a 20-year-old forward who was a fifth-rounder by Calgary in 2020 but went unsigned last month. 

More newcomers for Laval - RD Alex Green and LW Emile Poirier.  Green spent last season in Syracuse while Poirier (yes, this is the former Calgary first-rounder) split the year between the KHL and SHL.  Poirier will count against the veteran limit of which Laval has six in the 260-319 GP category (and can only dress five of those a night).  Poirier's deal is a two-way pact so he may see some action in Trois-Rivieres as well.

• 5 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

So what's the lineup looking like for Laval next year with Dea, Belpedio + Ouellette gone, the signings mentioned above and Struble in NCAA?

Is the tandem in net Primeau + Poulin?

I expect Ylonen to start in Montreal. I would not be surprised is Barron starts in Montreal too, although I would prefer him to start in Laval

this is my back of the envelop, potatohead, best guess:

HarveyPinard-Schnarr-Belzile
Teasdale-Stephens-Francis
Gignac-Hillis-Martel
Simoneau, Abbandonato, Beaudin, Condotta, Richard, G.Bourque, Fortin, Beauregard, K.Roy, Saulnier, Poiririer

Fairbrother-Barron
Harris-Dello
Norlinder-Bowey
Galipeau, Centorame, Green

Primeau, Poulin

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I expect Ylonen to start in Montreal. I would not be surprised is Barron starts in Montreal too, although I would prefer him to start in Laval

Gignac-Hillis-Martel
Simoneau, Abbandonato, Beaudin, Condotta, Richard, G.Bourque, Fortin, Beauregard, K.Roy, Saulnier, Poiririer

Fairbrother-Barron
Harris-Dello
Norlinder-Bowey

Primeau, Poulin

Is Mysak not coming over?

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

I think so, but I missed him in my list. You are right about that!

I believe he has an over-age year left in the OHL ... but I don't really see any benefit in that.

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I believe he has an over-age year left in the OHL ... but I don't really see any benefit in that.

He will probably have a chance to win a roster spot in Laval during training camp

36 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Gignac-Hillis-Martel

Fairbrother-Barron
Harris-Dello
Norlinder-Bowey

Primeau, Poulin

A few notes - Beaudin is gone and while Kevin Roy remains unsigned (I think), there's no way he's coming back.  Fortin is doubtful to return as well.  They didn't sign Richard to be a fringe guy, he'll be in the top six.  

This would be my really rough lineup:

Harvey-Pinard - Stephens - Ylonen (I'd be stunned if he starts in Montreal, he didn't help his cause in the playoffs)

Martel - Richard - Belzile (if Richard can still play C, he has been more of a W lately)

Bourque - Schnarr - Gignac

Condotta - Mysak - Teasdale

Scratches: Abbandonato, Poirier (veteran limit), Saulnier

ECHL: Beauregard, Francis, Hillis, Simoneau

Assuming Guhle, Harris, and Barron are in Montreal and that they bring in a right-shot seventh D off waivers in camp, this would be the defence:

Schueneman - Leskinen

Norlinder - Bowey

Xhekaj - Fairbrother

Scratches: Dello, Green

ECHL: Centorame, Galipeau

• Like 2

Thought Bowey would of been a good NHL d-man and smart draft pick.

But, they took Lehkonen 2 spots after Caps drafted him, so i would of made wrong choice on that one. 

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Didn't see this coming - Laval signs Brett Stapley to a one-year deal.

ENsNQI=

Guess they did not want to tie up an NHL contract slot but see some utility and possibly even potential for the future ... sadly for him, I assume on a one-way AHL deal he cannot be sent to beautiful Trois Rivieres (my home town).

Rocket agree to terms on a one-year, one-way AHL contract with Brett Stapley – Rocket Laval

54 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Guess they did not want to tie up an NHL contract slot but see some utility and possibly even potential for the future ... sadly for him, I assume on a one-way AHL deal he cannot be sent to beautiful Trois Rivieres (my home town).

Rocket agree to terms on a one-year, one-way AHL contract with Brett Stapley – Rocket Laval

He can be sent to the ECHL.  The one-way provision only means he gets his AHL salary one way or the other.

I'm happy to see that he decided to stick with the Habs' organization. Now let's see whether he's got enough skill and drive to look good in the AHL and earn an NHL contract.

What's the Habs' current contract count situation?